J/111 Goes Sailing...

steph2ma

EC
Explain to me about having the sail area to go fast dw. 130 squares not that large, certainly nothing to write home about. Likely makes for reasonable performance nothing more. Or am I missing the boat?

J109Guy

Anarchist
Boston, MA
Explain to me about having the sail area to go fast dw. 130 squares not that large, certainly nothing to write home about. Likely makes for reasonable performance nothing more. Or am I missing the boat?
Well compared to my J/109 that is 10 m2 of additional sail area with 2,000 fewer lbs. of displacement. So it should go faster DW then my current ride. Of course the J/122 has a 155 m2 kite (so an extra 35 m2 of chute) but displaces 4,000 lbs. more than I do.

So maybe the J/122 will get to the windward mark first, but the J/111 will make up much of that spread on the DW leg?

At any rate, I would LOVE to see the 109/111/122 all out racing at the same time. That would be kinda cool...heck, throw in a 133 for shits and giggles...

Z

ragbag

Anarchist
Well compared to my J/109 that is 10 m2 of additional sail area with 2,000 fewer lbs. of displacement. So it should go faster DW then my current ride. Of course the J/122 has a 155 m2 kite (so an extra 35 m2 of chute) but displaces 4,000 lbs. more than I do.

So maybe the J/122 will get to the windward mark first, but the J/111 will make up much of that spread on the DW leg?

At any rate, I would LOVE to see the 109/111/122 all out racing at the same time. That would be kinda cool...heck, throw in a 133 for shits and giggles...

Z
The J/122 should gain upwind, but give it all back down wind. It is not just sail area and displacement. They really tried to get the rig and hull shape as efficient as possible for down wind speed. When the boat breaks loose on a plane, it won't be close. You need about 18 kts. of breeze for that from what I've been told. We can pretty much count on that and more every day here in the summer.

J109Guy

Anarchist
Boston, MA

Z
The J/122 should gain upwind, but give it all back down wind. It is not just sail area and displacement. They really tried to get the rig and hull shape as efficient as possible for down wind speed. When the boat breaks loose on a plane, it won't be close. You need about 18 kts. of breeze for that from what I've been told. We can pretty much count on that and more every day here in the summer.
I think we've seen 18 knots of true MAYBE twice this whole summer. I am jealous! We just pray that maybe with a seabreeze we will get close to double-digits...of windspeed that is. It takes 18 knots of true to get the BOAT into double-digits!!!

Tommyboomer

Z
Yes my J120 as a 165m chute but is 5,000lbs heavier and a much lower aspect Rig. This thing should get up and go downwind in a breeze. Nor a sportboat by any means but still good performance on a fairly comfortable platform.

bshores

Houston, TX

Z
Exactly, this boat was built up a lot for it's downwind performance, but I have yet to see any video/pics of it doing exactly that. Right now we are still speculating. I know J Boats has been successful in the past, but in this day in age the average consumer needs instant gratification. Are we still waiting on more hulls to be launched before we see a better marketing effort?

ragbag

Anarchist
Exactly, this boat was built up a lot for it's downwind performance, but I have yet to see any video/pics of it doing exactly that. Right now we are still speculating. I know J Boats has been successful in the past, but in this day in age the average consumer needs instant gratification. Are we still waiting on more hulls to be launched before we see a better marketing effort?
Hey, it's a family operation ;-) Marketing can always be better, more professional but as everybody here know, it's all about the boat. The boat proves istelf on the water, it will take off regardless of marketing. You can also overhype a boat - as with the SC37 - and then disappoint. J boats has an amazing repeat buyer audience. Little bit like Porsche that way who sell something like 80% of their cars to those who have bought them before. I have owned a J before as well.

JB posted on FB that they had done a delivery of the J/111 and covered 16 NM in 1.5 hrs. in reaching conditions ranging from 10-22 kts.

Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Super Anarchist
New England
I think we've seen 18 knots of true MAYBE twice this whole summer. I am jealous! We just pray that maybe with a seabreeze we will get close to double-digits...of windspeed that is. It takes 18 knots of true to get the BOAT into double-digits!!!
Ya should have come down for BBR instead of farting around in some local race where the only ripples on the water were from the sewage outflow :) . We had two days of breeze in the mid- to high double digits.

But thanks for sharing Big J. with us on Friday and Sunday... that guy can trim a kite!

Tommyboomer

Z
The marketing seems to be just fine based on pre-orders. And as for instant gratification, hull #1 was only launched a few weeks ago, jeezez.

BoomerangJ

Z

I have a prospect that wants me to do exactly what you say! They want to sail all three boats back to back to figure out what they want! Should be interesting and fun! It won't happen until this winter, early spring-but we will do it!

J109Guy

Anarchist
Boston, MA
Ya should have come down for BBR instead of farting around in some local race where the only ripples on the water were from the sewage outflow :) . We had two days of breeze in the mid- to high double digits.

But thanks for sharing Big J. with us on Friday and Sunday... that guy can trim a kite!
Hey, only ten more alimony payments to go and then I get 30% of my income back and we get to start doing AWAY regattas again!!! See you next August in Padanaram...

And yes, he certainly can!!!

tadentus

Left Coast
J-Boats rock.

I am really sorry to rain on anyones new boat release, BUT I Have to say that any GOOD FRIENDS DON'T LET THEIR GOOD FRIENDS SAIL ON J BOATS,

SORRY, But just had to go there

you see..., the thing about JBoats is that they are building boats for people who actually buy boats, and not for their "friends", who come along for the occasional ride, and then crap on the boats on internet forums.

DC/Chicago

Anarchist
Chicago
I was out sailing on the new J-111.Fast is fun,and this boat is fasT.We were out with a sailmaker ,Stu Johnston and Rich Stearns the J boat dealer from Midwest, so we had good people on board ,the driver was a long time shipmate of mine that owns a J-105 and has some interet in the J-111.It has been blowing from the west ,North west in Chicago for the last two days and when we went out the breze was between 20 and I guess the highest I saw was 28(I was told that it was the most breese that a J-111 was in so far) .We were going down wind and the boat planes.We saw 15.7 speed in 22 knots wind.I am sure we could've got more out of it with some waves.When the boat offloads it just takes off.Up wind, the sailmaker was still tuning the rig, so we could not get it to her full potential I am sure, but I can tell you that the boat is happy at 7.5-7.8 in that breese and and the boat felt stable.

That is my $0.02 from Chicago

Fast is fun and the J-111 is fast

Dorin

Last edited by a moderator:
You getting one DC? Looks like a nice ride.

I was out sailing on the new J-111.Fast is fun,and this boat is fasT.We were out with a sailmaker ,Stu Johnston and Rich Stearns the J boat dealer from Midwest, so we had good people on board ,the driver was a long time shipmate of mine that owns a J-105 and has some interet in the J-111.It has been blowing from the west ,North west in Chicago for the last two days and when we went out the breze was between 20 and I guess the highest I saw was 28(I was told that it was the most breese that a J-111 was in so far) .We were going down wind and the boat planes.We saw 15.7 speed in 22 knots wind.I am sure we could've got more out of it with some waves.When the boat offloads it just takes off.Up wind, the sailmaker was still tuning the rig, so we could not get it to her full potential I am sure, but I can tell you that the boat is happy at 7.5-7.8 in that breese and and the boat felt stable.

Dorin

DC/Chicago

Anarchist
Chicago
You getting one DC? Looks like a nice ride.

Dorin
Of course ,for the beer can races at CCYC...:) At this time I still like my boat and the best thing about my 105 is that it is PAID for.If I was in the market for a $250 K plus boat I would strongly consider it.Fast is fun

Dorin
Hi DC,

Thanks for your impressions of the J-111 from the Windy City. Fantastic!

We are on the list for a J-111 in San Franciso Bay (eta next spring). As 20-28 knots of breeze is standard fare here in the summer, I am hoping you could provide further thoughts and impressoins on how the 111 went to weather in those wind conditions.

I do have some experience on a J-105 so that is a good reference point. Your comments on stiffness, heeling angle, sail trim and overall feel compared to your 105 in similar conditions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jim