J/111 Goes Sailing...

ragbag

Anarchist
The return leg was a very tight jib reach up until about two miles from the finish.
What's a "Jib Reach"?
I was going to ask what a "felch" is? or was it fetch...? Dems olden times mariner terms, bye.

I reckon a jib reach is like reaching with a jib, rather than reaching with a spi. Have you heard of a spinnaker reach?
A very tight jib reach asymptotically approaches a fetch but never gets there.

J109Guy

Anarchist
Boston, MA
The return leg was a very tight jib reach up until about two miles from the finish.
What's a "Jib Reach"?
I was going to ask what a "felch" is? or was it fetch...? Dems olden times mariner terms, bye.

I reckon a jib reach is like reaching with a jib, rather than reaching with a spi. Have you heard of a spinnaker reach?
We do a lot of "spinnaker reaching" on my boat. I figure when you gybe through 260 degrees it must be a reach when you come out the other side, right?

What's a "Jib Reach"?

We do a lot of "spinnaker reaching" on my boat. I figure when you gybe through 260 degrees it must be a reach when you come out the other side, right?
We could call it a "Reaching Fetch" or a "Fetching Reach" or better yet a "felching retch"

ftbinc

Chciago
Hey PitGirl - How did the J/111 do in the Beer can Last night? 8-10knts the course was a beat, a close reach, and a run....

Super Anarchist
Chicago
Hey PitGirl - How did the J/111 do in the Beer can Last night? 8-10knts the course was a beat, a close reach, and a run....
We kept them behind on the first leg (with a 5 min head start on a 105) but after rounding the Crib... boy that boat had legs.

Loridew

Chicago
We kept them behind on the first leg (with a 5 min head start on a 105) but after rounding the Crib... boy that boat had legs.
What 12345 said. We were a little slow upwind, but I suspect due to the face our Jib clew was cut WAY too low and we really couldn't trim properly (getting it fixed so it's ready for the Sheldon Clark). The reach was tough with the weird wave action and current, but still maintained good speed. The boat launches downwind...we beat the Farr 40, Beneteau 40.7 and one other boat (this was for CYC, not sure where we would have placed against the Columbia boats).

Jambalaya

Super Anarchist
Hamble / Paris
Interesting to understand the relative performance vs Farr and Bene on absolute basis - upwind vs reach vs downwind - my gut is upwind order is Farr 111 Bene, kite reaching 111 Farr and downwind could be close between Farr and 111 with Farr sailing deep and 111 going faster but gybing more

Apprecaite it's only a single race and early days (not entirely sure how sailmaker gets jib so wrong)

Daimond

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
Love the looks of the boat, can't wait till one shows up at Sail California here in Alameda. I'm sure all you armchair experts are aware that these first results are with first generation sails. Kinda stupid to try and compare against boats that are into thier 5th or 6th generation of refinement. (Farr 40, Bene) Just sayin.

ragbag

Anarchist
Love the looks of the boat, can't wait till one shows up at Sail California here in Alameda. I'm sure all you armchair experts are aware that these first results are with first generation sails. Kinda stupid to try and compare against boats that are into thier 5th or 6th generation of refinement. (Farr 40, Bene) Just sayin.
Hull #4 should be here in the Bay Area early next month, sailing later in the month hopefully.

Hull #4 should be here in the Bay Area early next month, sailing later in the month hopefully.
The Hamble rumour-mill told me that boat #3 (hopefully more than a hull) is UK-bound as early as October or if not, certainly the boat show (whenever that is). Money is still a bit stupid: £240-280k! final figures to be nailed down. Given a new 109 (if they exist) is £180k then this will be a serious premium over that.

One design potential? i.e. will we get 5/6/7 quarter-of-a-million boats by year 3? Who knows. They built ~70 J122s and they're scattered to the winds. The more expensive but more offshore-oriented 133 outnumbers 122s in the UK by a wide margin.

ragbag

Anarchist
Money is still a bit stupid: £240-280k! final figures to be nailed down. Given a new 109 (if they exist) is £180k then this will be a serious premium over that.
These numbers sound high with pound sterling at 1.54. Not sure how J Boats representation works in Europe, you may have uplifted international pricing. Depending on how trick you get with sail inventory and electronics, the cost is likely to peg in the high 200s. I will get over that with #4 but those are my own choices on fit out. I much agree for OD, pricing needs to stay in check. That said, the 111 probably deserves a premium over the 109.

Last edited by a moderator:

pqbon

Cambridge UK
Money is still a bit stupid: £240-280k! final figures to be nailed down. Given a new 109 (if they exist) is £180k then this will be a serious premium over that.
These numbers sound high with pound sterling at 1.54. Not sure how J Boats representation works in Europe, you may have uplifted international pricing. Depending on how trick you get with sail inventory and electronics, the cost is likely to peg in the high 200s. I will get over that with #4 but those are my own choices on fit out. I much agree for OD, pricing needs to stay in check. That said, the 111 probably deserves a premium over the 109.
I asked a local J dealer - he said expect $350k to take a J111 home compared to $300k for the J109.

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
Hey now that we are only days from the Newport Boat Show...anyone have any interior pics they can show?

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
Thanks Mustang. I'll see it at Annapolis but thats still a month out and I am curious to see how it turned out....

Jambalaya

Super Anarchist
Hamble / Paris
The Hamble rumour-mill told me that boat #3 (hopefully more than a hull) is UK-bound as early as October or if not, certainly the boat show (whenever that is). Money is still a bit stupid: £240-280k! final figures to be nailed down. Given a new 109 (if they exist) is £180k then this will be a serious premium over that.

One design potential? i.e. will we get 5/6/7 quarter-of-a-million boats by year 3? Who knows. They built ~70 J122s and they're scattered to the winds. The more expensive but more offshore-oriented 133 outnumbers 122s in the UK by a wide margin.
If those prices are right - ouch ! UK VAT is going from 17.5% to 20% so that has to be factored in. I would suspect J-UK will have a boat on the water as soon as they can, whether that's been sold to a customer or not.

European J pricing is competitive with the US for boats built in Europe, US built boats are pricey as you have the shipping

A nice used J122 is low 200's, you can buy the new Ker 40 for around 300. Does the 133 outnumber the 122 ? Plenty 122 around they are raced offshore and short handed mostly rather than inshore/class.