J/111 Goes Sailing...

Love the boat, but man that keel is quite fugly...Seems like J could design a keel that at least looks fast!!
My J/90 keel looked similar, not quite as fat as it had a very high tech fin. J Boats debated the torpedo vs. L shape, and feedback came from many sources that the torpedo is a pain in the ass with kelp etc. getting stuck, needing kelp cutters etc. A slong as you can balance and position the weight correctly underneath the boat, it doesn't matter the shape. Besides, it is not exactly visible below the water line.
my understanding is that L-shape is also better at low speeds as it provides higher lift even though at the expense of more drag - also more forgiving overall

just my 2 cents

ragbag

Anarchist
While the interior didn't exactly strike a chord with me either, they must have gotten something right as they have50 + orders, enough that the delivery list right now stretches out thru next summer...
Where we sail (in California), you find that the interior is not a place where you spend a lot of time. You have a whole condo down there, and it doesn't get much use, other than the head, the cooler, quick peak at the instruments at the nav station, that sort of thing. When sailing overnight, it is pitch dark down there, and you need a good sea berth which the J/111 also has. Cockpit layout and room is way more important than what you have down below. The J/111 has a very large cockpit in relation to tis cabin house which is correct for my mode of use.

ragbag

Anarchist
Can't figure out how anyone could really cruise this boat with an open head design? We all know how bad marine heads smell. I understand the weight saving part but can you imagine sleeping in a boat with the entire head exposed to the whole interior.... the whole interior will stink.
if I wanted to cruise I'd get a cruiser. This boat is most suitable for racing and day sailing. I personally may crash on the boat from time to time, but that's about it. There are ways to seal/zipper the area of from the rest of the cabin if needed.
I was on the boat (#4) today, it has a DOOR (old fashioned solution) on the forward compartment. May not help those sleeping in the V berth if that were to ever happen, but I can seal off the entire cabin. I will use forward area for sail storage anyways. Door can easily be lifted off hinges for racing etc.

Jambalaya

Super Anarchist
Hamble / Paris
A J105 has some wood lining below, a door for the heads and headling. A j/105 is hardly regarded as a caravan. All of those should be on the J/111 in my view. I cannot see the female members of crew being thrilled with no door.

chrisdowling

The J/111 comes standard with a door! There is an option for additional teak trim on the interior for those of you who are buying a race boat but want to drag around a bunch of useless weight! I can't believe you guys are still going off on a head liner! This is a RACE BOAT!!! The builder has done a nice job building the boat that you really don't need it anyway! Headliners reduce headroom and cover up crappy fiberglass layup. I would rather have the headroom, see the quality of the build and go fast and that is what I am going to do on Hull #30 when I get it next June.

Trevor B

Super Anarchist
Santa Cruz, CA
Sounds like a bunch of people like the old SC-37 with it's carbon construction and headliners. That's a really expensive solution to end up at basically the same place, although the cheaper solution is not as shiny.

ragbag

Anarchist
The J/111 comes standard with a door! There is an option for additional teak trim on the interior for those of you who are buying a race boat but want to drag around a bunch of useless weight! I can't believe you guys are still going off on a head liner! This is a RACE BOAT!!! The builder has done a nice job building the boat that you really don't need it anyway! Headliners reduce headroom and cover up crappy fiberglass layup. I would rather have the headroom, see the quality of the build and go fast and that is what I am going to do on Hull #30 when I get it next June.
I think the finish of the cabin ceiling is quite good and smooth. Yes, you see bolts throughs but they have been done nicely. Not something that will bother me one bit. Boat is very clean and simple at so many levels.

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
That makes two of us...some interior shots of your boat would be really great Ragbag. OBTW, I too really like the cabin ceiling. It will be easy to keep clean, easy to remount gear if necessary, and easy to spot a leaky fastener that needs re-bedding. I hate the carpet glued up on the ceiling of my current ride (a S2 9.1) and I had problems with bubbles forming in the vinyl covered ply headliner on my 109. That said, the flat white paint on the hull sides ivo the Quarterberths and vee berth I think will be tougher to keep clean. If I were buying a 111, I might have those areas painted with a semi gloss so they would be more resistent to showing scuff marks and easier to wash...

ragbag

Anarchist
That makes two of us...some interior shots of your boat would be really great Ragbag. OBTW, I too really like the cabin ceiling. It will be easy to keep clean, easy to remount gear if necessary, and easy to spot a leaky fastener that needs re-bedding. I hate the carpet glued up on the ceiling of my current ride (a S2 9.1) and I had problems with bubbles forming in the vinyl covered ply headliner on my 109. That said, the flat white paint on the hull sides ivo the Quarterberths and vee berth I think will be tougher to keep clean. If I were buying a 111, I might have those areas painted with a semi gloss so they would be more resistent to showing scuff marks and easier to wash...
The boat is being rigged as we speak. They just put the rig up. It is a blizzard of gear inside, with most surfaces covered up for protection, not worth taking pictures of yet, but will do when she is in show condition. My boat has nice navy color ultra suede cushions, makes it quite nice interior, and they also put in a nice table. Tables function mostly as a divider to lean the sails against underway, but they did a really nice job on it. I was overall more pleased with the interior than i thought i would be. Boat feels bigger both inside and on top than I had figured. The hall spar is a work of art, so light for such a big stick. They hope to have her in the water in a week. They prefer to have the boat in the water as soon as she's ready for it, do the rest of the rigging in the water.

dickie greenleaf

Super Anarchist
The boat is being rigged as we speak. They just put the rig up. It is a blizzard of gear inside, with most surfaces covered up for protection, not worth taking pictures of yet, but will do when she is in show condition. My boat has nice navy color ultra suede cushions, makes it quite nice interior, and they also put in a nice table. Tables function mostly as a divider to lean the sails against underway, but they did a really nice job on it. I was overall more pleased with the interior than i thought i would be. Boat feels bigger both inside and on top than I had figured. The hall spar is a work of art, so light for such a big stick. They hope to have her in the water in a week. They prefer to have the boat in the water as soon as she's ready for it, do the rest of the rigging in the water.
That's awesome. Congrats on the new ride!

DG

Daimond

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
/monthly_10_2010/post-34764-063408100%201287792522_thumb.jpg

/monthly_10_2010/post-34764-080534300%201287792539_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0157.JPG
    IMG_0157.JPG
    381.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0158.JPG
    IMG_0158.JPG
    297.3 KB · Views: 7

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
If I were buying a 111, I might have those areas painted with a semi gloss so they would be more resistent to showing scuff marks and easier to wash...
I think it has a semi-gloss paint on there. It looks shiny but not glossy. Easy to clean from the looks of it.

Maybe I remembered wrong from hull 1 when I was at the Annapolis Boat Show...or maybe they already figured that out and made a change...either way I'm jealous...Congrats!

Diligent-Flosser

Annapolis
Wow! That thing is so beautiful! I belong to Jport in Annapolis do I get to sail J80s, J105s, and J32s. One day, I sure wouldn't mind buying a J111 though. I'm such a busy guy with a passel of little kids that I don't have time for upkeep though.
rolleyes.gif

ragbag

Anarchist
does anybody know whether there is a plan for building in euroland
It's been rumored, not confirmed. Would make some sense given the sizable order backlog. Long wait times can jeopardize orders. I heard the French guy (didier?) who runs J Europe has been involved in this program early on (he was on the sea trials of hull #1), maybe that is an indication. Cost-wise, you may be better off getting one from the East coast here with the Euro back at 1.40.

jsailannapolis

I talked to Rod J. at the boat show in Annapolis and they are in the process of signing a contract with a builder in Europe. It was supposed to happen tuesday after the show but I have not heard anything since. Could have happened, could have fallen through...

Latest posts