J/111 Goes Sailing...

i think it is uninspiring, and it looks slow
Reader Warning! Do NOT come to this forum in search of inspiration nor enlightenment. Do come if you like entertainment. Advise: worthless, Snickering: priceless.

mac26.jpg

We prefer this 4 Knot Shit Box way 'mo....

Jambalaya

Super Anarchist
Hamble / Paris
More bullshit posted here as usual. Nice boat, I've owned two J's and been very happy with them and this is nice too. How refreshing also to see a boat without North Sails. A double win. Lots of deposits down as J knows what their owners are interested in.

us7070

Super Anarchist
i think it is uninspiring, and it looks slow

compared to some _other_ 36ft boat with standing head-room, and cruising accommodations, of which 30 have been sold before the first one hit the water, during a global recession, and which will probably become a great one-design class, insuring _excellent_ resale potential for the buyers...?

if so, which one?

Tommyboomer

I am really sorry to rain on anyones new boat release, BUT I Have to say that any GOOD FRIENDS DON'T LET THEIR GOOD FRIENDS SAIL ON J BOATS,

SORRY, But just had to go there

you see..., the thing about JBoats is that they are building boats for people who actually buy boats, and not for their "friends", who come along for the occasional ride, and then crap on the boats on internet forums.
+1 - Looks great and fast. I hear it will rate around the same as a 1D35 but with an interior. Of course it will cost and extra $200K :)

Is it possible to have too much white on a hull?

Agreed, the all-white messes with the lines. Some two tone nonskid would be groovy.

Santa Cruz 37 is the first thing that pops to mind. Nice lines... needs polars. Is the foot of the main supposed to be that loose or was the mast shorter then expected?
What does mast height have to do with foot length? I'd like to see some pic's of the thing out of the water. Oh, and..........................what's it rate?

From where I'm sitting the folding along the luff looks consistent with a cranked on cunningham though I can't quite make out if it's actually there or yanked on.

shame about the doyle sails.....what a way to slow a boat down right aut of the box....

Heh, my thoughts exactaly. The other way is by giving it a too-small OD kite which they also did.

dickie greenleaf

Super Anarchist
Boat looks great.

Tell the photographer next time to CLEAN THEIR LENSES before snapping those photos!

On the boat, I'd question why the jib is so far off the deck, and kudos on having an appropriate sized wheelie. Carbon wheel would complete the package IMHO.

I'm interested to see how it rates... if anything close to a 1D35, fast will be fun and functional.

DG

The jib in the photo seems to be cut quite high off the deck - especially at the clew.

I agree...Question: How do you roll the jib with that horizontal batten?
the battens are setup like a tape measure, a concave piece of metal. they are straight until enough force is applied to "break" it and then it rolls up. they are a godsend on the bow.

ragbag

Anarchist
Santa Cruz 37 is the first thing that pops to mind. Nice lines... needs polars. Is the foot of the main supposed to be that loose or was the mast shorter then expected?
Wanna bet that the 111 will sail circles around the Santa Cruz 37?

The 111 has a much narrower stern, and hence a lot less wetted surface. The only conditions that maybe the Santa Cruz could keep up would be broad reaching in over 20 knots.
It won't sail circles around the SC 37. I considered both boats. The SC37 is bit longer, lighter and more SA, but it is a bitch to sail, very slippery. The J/111 is designed for a wide groove, much more forgiving. I will bet the SC37 will owe the 111 at least 10 secs a mile.

Kent H

Kent H ...been here way too long..
US
Tiller - The rudder post is too far forward. The result would be a short tiller or have to move the mainsheet / Trav forward.

SC 37 - Other than the more narrow stern it is strange just how much they look alike.

From reading the other posts / threads it seems that the problem is being able to deliver boats. J/boats has deposits but can't deliver boats. Nice problem to have but deposits do not equal sales. The wait for a boat may keep buyers from ordering. Very tough for Dealers to pitch local one design if there is a long wait for the boats.

Has anyone seen proposed or actual one design rules for the boat?

us7070

Super Anarchist
When are they and everyone else gonna quit with the ST primaries, I thought these were fucking raceboats.

you must not have read the web site...,

actually, it's a

day sailing, racing and weekend cruising sailboat
, so self tailers are probably the right call for the boat.

Last edited by a moderator:

beachball

Super Anarchist
More bullshit posted here as usual. Nice boat, I've owned two J's and been very happy with them and this is nice too. How refreshing also to see a boat without North Sails. A double win. Lots of deposits down as J knows what their owners are interested in.
Which would be mostly well-built cruisers that said owners can take out for some safe racing on the weekends.

And, giving credit where it is due, J//Boats are excellent at delivering exactly the above - and at a price point that lets them make very decent margins. More than can be said for many other boat builders...

Last edited by a moderator: