J/111 Goes Sailing...

In the first minute (or so) of the video they are flying a masthead kite; the second two thrids of the video the fractional kite is up. Being from SF I liked seeing the fractional option. And hey, isn't the boat in the video (sail number 60111)IMPULSE, the boat that raced in the Chicago - Michigan City Race?

billseagull

WLIS
Main reefed - so its likely they needed a reef to keep her on her feet upwind prior to flipping over to get the downwind footage? So she can't stay on her feet in 20 knots? Just pouring a bit of kerosene on the embers here....

Main reefed - so its likely they needed a reef to keep her on her feet upwind prior to flipping over to get the downwind footage? So she can't stay on her feet in 20 knots? Just pouring a bit of kerosene on the embers here....

Just as a mode of comparison, what would a Melges 32 be doing speed wise in these conditions? How about the SC37? Don't get me wrong I like J boats and I know it's apples and oranges. What is the first hull number coming to Chicago?

owlslick

Just as a mode of comparison, what would a Melges 32 be doing speed wise in these conditions? How about the SC37? Don't get me wrong I like J boats and I know it's apples and oranges. What is the first hull number coming to Chicago?
FT 10 have been doing that speed and more since day 1... as have the Melges 32, Columbia 32, etc ... J-111 looks good... a great sized boat to play on, good to see more offerings in this size and sport boat range... just pick one, one for every budget no reason not to get 'er done

As noted above, Hull #2 is already sailing in Chicago. Her name is IMPULSE sail number 60111. The boat in the Halifax video is Hull #5 with borrowed sails from the Chicago boat...

ragbag

Anarchist

FT 10 have been doing that speed and more since day 1... as have the Melges 32, Columbia 32, etc ... J-111 looks good... a great sized boat to play on, good to see more offerings in this size and sport boat range... just pick one, one for every budget no reason not to get 'er done
The comparison with sport boats is not that relevant. I came from a J/90 platform (raced it for 4-5 years) and am now about to launch hull# 4 of this boat. I wanted a boat that wasn't as wet, uncomfortable and a white knuckle ride. Not many ladies will go out on a boat without a head. I only took out hardened sailors and race crew. No such thing as a casual daysail with some un-initiated folks. Like a sports car, sport boats are single purpose. True versatility is hard to find on boats this size. I think Santa Cruz yachts almost got it right but this 111 platform will be more forgiving and less slippery than the SC37.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
I like the looks of it. Finally, after 25 years, we have a multi-purpose boat for the masses that weighs in less than the boats out of Express, Santa Cruz, etc. Looks like great fun.

solosailor

Super Anarchist
San Francisco Bay
Any boat will get to speed on a reach in breeze.....It's a fuck'n POS J boat.
"Any boat" will not get on a full plane with 15k+ sustained speeds. By the way, it's running, not reaching..... you cannot reach in 20k+ with a running spinnaker. The wind angle may be @ 90 deg. but that's apparent, not true. Yeah, it's a J/Boat and I'll be the first to say that many of their designs are pretty tame but it seems they have sure hit the sweet spot with 50+ orders already.

Latest posts