J/111 Goes Sailing...

Nothing negative in that video. The boat is flying and looks great.

Keep working on your conspiracy theory.
Looked pretty tender to me! \wink\ :ph34r:

and what about that broach at 1:15 (censored)
wink.gif

ragbag

Anarchist

wink.gif
As they say in skiing: "no falls, no balls". If that boat didn't broach in these conditions, it'd be underpowered or sailed too conservatively. You are always on the edge of losing it, or you are not sailing hard enough. This boat has an unusually deep high aspect rudder which will help a lot.

Daimond

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area

wink.gif
As they say in skiing: "no falls, no balls". If that boat didn't broach in these conditions, it'd be underpowered or sailed too conservatively. You are always on the edge of losing it, or you are not sailing hard enough. This boat has an unusually deep high aspect rudder which will help a lot.
/monthly_11_2010/post-34764-096174000%201288831418_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0139.JPG
    IMG_0139.JPG
    597.9 KB · Views: 2

Christian

Super Anarchist

wink.gif
Hmmmmm - doesn't look like an "unusually deep and high aspect" rudder to me - unless you compare it to a 25 year old J35......................

ragbag

Anarchist
Jesus, how could one own a boat with such a keel? No wonder they hid the "bulb" in the above photo.
That keel will snag a lot fewer weeds and lines than a t-bulb.
That keel fin and bulb shape is reminiscent of the keels sported by the J/90 and J/125. They work great. I don't know what people's obsession is with the torpedo shape. Certainly less likely you will snag underwater objects. You hook a major object with a torpedo, it will tear the bottom right off at speed. Can happen with this shape, too, but it has a fighting chance of sliding over. I've hit an undert water object motoring at 7 kts on a J 90, launching two of us on the boat 10 feet forward and in the air. Keel was damaged at the bulb but completely in tact at the hull joint. So, to me, it is more than a theoretical possibility.

Jambalaya

Super Anarchist
Hamble / Paris
What's the logic with the high aspect rudder ? More or less likely to stall ? Better at high or low speeds vs standard aspect ratio ?

Congrats on the boat's launch.

bgytr

Super Anarchist
What's the logic with the high aspect rudder ? More or less likely to stall ? Better at high or low speeds vs standard aspect ratio ?

Congrats on the boat's launch.

high aspect rudder give less induced drag. stall is more a function of foil section.

Latest posts