J/111 Goes Sailing...

opusone

Anarchist
We sailed #4 today on San Francisco Bay. Steep, short ebb chop but solid 19-21 kts. of breeze. Boat easily got up on a plane downwind, booking at 14-16 kts, peaking at 17-18 kts. a few times. Lot of control at the helm. Grins galore. We did wipe out, but not nearly as violently as I recall from my J/90. The rudder never went limb, easing sheets and vang popped the boat right back up, regained steerage immediately, trimmed the sheets back in, that was it. Fairly uneventful. This is a one fun ride :) Photoboy was following and taking pictures from a Protector so maybe we have some good eye candy to share soon.
Those are some impressive numbers. What was the TWA. How close to the wind were you when going upwind?

Thanks for the info.

Cheers,

Opusone

Jambalaya

Super Anarchist
Hamble / Paris
ragbag - what were your thoughts on main and jib in that breeze, no reef and regular 3 or smaller headsail ? Correct combination ? You were short numbers on rail vs racing crew ?

JL92S

Super Anarchist
UK
Direct link of j-boats video below.

Reefed main and a fractional kite but still large area - lazy question but I assume the boat has a mast head kite halyard too ?

in a previous comment the kite was hoisted on a jib halyard in the video

bshores

Houston, TX
Some more good pix Here

Finally, this is what we've all be waiting for. No offense to the Halifax vid, but a reefed main and short hoisted kite just doesn't look right. The full main with #3 jib looks to be the correct setup. The boat has some serious wheels off the breeze, jboats should be throwing these pics up on their website asap. Good on ragbag for being the first to show off his new ride!

Blur

Super Anarchist
Sweden
Some more good pix Here
Finally, this is what we've all be waiting for. No offense to the Halifax vid, but a reefed main and short hoisted kite just doesn't look right. The full main with #3 jib looks to be the correct setup. The boat has some serious wheels off the breeze, jboats should be throwing these pics up on their website asap. Good on ragbag for being the first to show off his new ride!
+1

Makes me look like a fool letting #18 go. But 2012 will be in a 111 for sure!

Last edited by a moderator:

Texas Strong

Super Anarchist
Some more good pix Here

A J/111 would look great in otra-vez blue!

ragbag

Anarchist
Some more good pix Here
Glad you're all enjoying the pix! Big thanks to Photoboy for being out there and memorializing this sail. We were a tad over-powered with full main and the (Doyle) jib you see is a cruise/delivery/every day sail (although I am told it is a very fine sail, and it may take offense to this characterization ;-) This jib stays on the boat (on the furler) for non-racing sails. We should have put up our heavy air racing head sail which is the same size as our regular light/med sail but flatter cut, and heavier fabric. Boat is not hard to sail in these conditions, but you have to keep bow up. In San Francisco Bay, reefing is considered un-cool ;-). We only do it when nobody is watching. We also had the big 130 meter kite up. We had apparent wind angle punched up on instruments, and read 28-32 most of the time. Upwind we were easily holding mid to high sevens in spite of that nasty ebb chop. We need to lenghten headstay, not enough weather helm for steering in 20 kts. of breeze. Still dialing things in. I have sailed on sport boats for many years, but this boat brings a lot of that pure sailing thrill without the ill behavior and discomfort. You are and feel in control behind that big wheel.

atwinda

Anarchist
10HotRB0795.JPG

10HotRB0804.JPG

SDYC results page

relevant line:

Place: 10

#: USA 3

Boat Name: J/111

Owner: Jeff Brown

Fleet: 2

Boat Type: J/111

Race 1 Fleet/Overall: 5/16

Race 2 Fleet/Overall: 1/9

Race 3 Fleet/Overall: /

Total Overall:25

Some more good pix Here
Glad you're all enjoying the pix! Big thanks to Photoboy for being out there and memorializing this sail. We were a tad over-powered with full main and the (Doyle) jib you see is a cruise/delivery/every day sail (although I am told it is a very fine sail, and it may take offense to this characterization ;-) This jib stays on the boat (on the furler) for non-racing sails. We should have put up our heavy air racing head sail which is the same size as our regular light/med sail but flatter cut, and heavier fabric. Boat is not hard to sail in these conditions, but you have to keep bow up. In San Francisco Bay, reefing is considered un-cool ;-). We only do it when nobody is watching. We also had the big 130 meter kite up. We had apparent wind angle punched up on instruments, and read 28-32 most of the time. Upwind we were easily holding mid to high sevens in spite of that nasty ebb chop. We need to lenghten headstay, not enough weather helm for steering in 20 kts. of breeze. Still dialing things in. I have sailed on sport boats for many years, but this boat brings a lot of that pure sailing thrill without the ill behavior and discomfort. You are and feel in control behind that big wheel.
If we're looking at the same upwind shot - port tack, pic taken from rear stbd quarter - the jib looks very very flat indeed, I can't imagine what a flatter one would be like but would have to see pix. Nice amount of heel for only 7 guys - it was mentioned the boat likes heel. (no offense but some of them could hike harder, but to be fair, it looks like they favoured the lifeline cushions more for the afterguard than for your crew...). Looks like it had very strong stability when it gets to that level of heel. Beautiful.
Congrats on the race results. Are there any SC37s to line up against? I didn't see any in the table.

troy

SSYC
Awesome pictures photoboy, and congratulations on the new ride Rag.

I've been following this thread for awhile however haven't posted, until now after seeing the pictures. I'm a 30 year old who will be looking to go partners on a boat with my bro in 5 years or so. Based on all the info i've read and with the firsthand accounts rolling in, i think i've found my pin up girl to look at. Throw in the fact that over the next decade a OD will without a doubt grow here in the great lakes, and the decision becomes that much easier.

A lot of people like to hate on J-Boats, you gotta admit they really nailed it with the 111. Congrats again ragbag, looks awesome.

ragbag

Anarchist
no offense but some of them could hike harder, but to be fair, it looks like they favoured the lifeline cushions more for the afterguard than for your crew...)
We were just out sailing with good breeze for a change, and tried to look respectable for pix and clips. We had two prospective buyers on boards, our instrument guru (a lot of calibration achieved on that outing), our rigger who put the whole boat together and our J Boat dealer, so maybe they can be forgiven for not hiking very hard ;-) It is true that the boat has good initial heel, and likes to ride that way. My J/90 ws very similar, loved the heel. But the righting moment kicks in major beyond a certain point. Boat is very stable and stiff.