J/111 Goes Sailing...

Activator

Hampshire
I'm betting J/Boats at least ASKS the owners to sail PHRF for the same reason Kontiki V sailed PHRF at KWRW; they don't want the boat potentially getting spanked under IRC at a national event which could possibly slow down sales.
Do you think so? What happens in the UK and Europe where there is only IRC?

jackolantern

Super Anarchist
I'm betting J/Boats at least ASKS the owners to sail PHRF for the same reason Kontiki V sailed PHRF at KWRW; they don't want the boat potentially getting spanked under IRC at a national event which could possibly slow down sales.
They will likely buy them with the intention of trying hard under IRC while hoping to establish a One Design fleet. J/Boats however is probably looking at the rest of the US and saying "there's only IRC racing in about 1/4 of the country, lets not target it specifically for the IRC racers".

Joakim

Super Anarchist
Finland
Where is this Europe with only IRC? As far as I know there is ORC, HN, RN, DH, LYS, SRS, several different Yardsticks etc in Europe. Even in UK there is an option to IRC and in most other European countries IRC is not the most common system.

jackolantern

Super Anarchist
Where is this Europe with only IRC? As far as I know there is ORC, HN, RN, DH, LYS, SRS, several different Yardsticks etc in Europe. Even in UK there is an option to IRC and in most other European countries IRC is not the most common system.
Uhh lets see. IRC in Europe... I dunno... only the entirety of the channel region and most of the UK. There are practically more boats racing IRC in that stretch of water than everywhere else in the entire world combined.

Lee G

Super Anarchist
PHRF for BIRW is open to boats with a rating of 90 or higher - who will they race against? How many 111's are expected - off hand I know of 2. I think it would be far more embarrassing for a 111 to lose to Hustler than it would be to lose to boats in the IRC 35 or 40 class. :lol:

hermetic

Super Anarchist
PHRF for BIRW is open to boats with a rating of 90 or higher - who will they race against? How many 111's are expected - off hand I know of 2. I think it would be far more embarrassing for a 111 to lose to Hustler than it would be to lose to boats in the IRC 35 or 40 class. :lol:
The concept, as explained to me, was that 5 or 6 would possibly show up and be sub-scored within the fleet.

PHRF or IRC? don't care - there won't be any embarassment. At least I hope not.

pjrs

jackolantern, on 03 March 2011 - 09:13 PM, said:

Uhh lets see. IRC in Europe... I dunno... only the entirety of the channel region and most of the UK. There are practically more boats racing IRC in that stretch of water than everywhere else in the entire world combined.
Well, so far the UK J111 has competed in the last race of the Hamble Winter Series. The class didn't contain any really meaningful IRC competition, the breeze turned inside out & peaked at 8 knots, she won.

She's done a day of the Royal Southampton YC frostbite series under their local handicapping system, possibly because there's a pretty competitive J109 sailing the IRC classs she'd be in. She won both races.

She has entered the Warsash Sping series, but will most likely be in the top IRC class where, as per the Winter Series, I'd question the standard of competition against a 'works' team. Will be interesting to see how she gets on, I suspect if its light or very breezy she'll more than hold her own in that class..

Interestingly, she hasn't entered the Spring Championships which the competitive IRC big boats turn up for. This is supposedly due to the fact she's getting set for a full RORC offshore series under IRC, for which she's had a few mods - tuf luf in lieu of furler, bobstay and jib in haulers (in haulers may be OD - not sure). From a quick scan of the RORC calender I can't see what's on those weekends though.

I take the above to mean the boat is being marketed to her strengths before the OD racing kicks in, which it looks very likely it will - and why would they do anything else?

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree and disagree. There is some interesting competition in the IRC bracket of the warsash spring series. So will be a good indicator, sure if its a works team they should do well, but there are some decent known boats that shouldn't be discounted. Though I agree from a marketing point they are playing to its strenghts, Will be interesting to see it offshore.

pjrs

It's hard to see from the results on the web as Warsash can't seem to sort out a decent way of seperating the IRC1 division for the series with the Big boat Championships. The same applies to the entry list for this year where they've currently got all the big boat championship entries showing as series entrants.

However last year there where basically 3 boats competing in the IRC1 division of the series - Jolly Jellyfish (J122) British Soldier (A40 RC) & Artemis (GS43B). In the last two races of the series, which are scored with the big boat championship entries, they managed respectively 20,10, DNF & OOT, 17 & 4 from 20 odd starters. In one of the races of the series Jinja (a J122 that is on the pace) turned up and beat them by 20, 30 & 37 minutes in a 3 hour race. I suspect it will be a similar story this year.

So I don't disagree with you that there's good IRC competition at Warsash, it's just not in IRC 1 of the weekly series.

Offshore I think she'll do just fine.

ceeagr

Looks like some decent competition in the from of Quokka 8 and Tokoloshe for the spring series assuming she ends up in IRC 1, both a similar rating and a bit bigger and therefore quicker to the top mark.

I wouldn't read to much into the Royal Southampton races as the the course is so short in my experiance and the crew work etc becomes so much more important. Also getting a bloody container ship coming up at the wrong time can make all the difference.

pjrs

Pretty sure Quokka isn't doing the series, but is doing BB champs. Not sure about Tokoloshe, but suspect it's the same,as I know it is for a number of other boats currently listed under IRC 1, hence my comment about Warsash being unable to separate Series with Championships.

I'm not reading too much into RSYC results, other than the J111 won both that she's entered, but hasn't sailed against the 109.

That's pretty much my point - she's currently got a 100% record of wins in races started, which is good for marketing, but just as at KWRW, they haven't been wins against top flight IRC competition. This strategy is further confirmed by the fact she isn't entered in the Warsash Big Boat championships.

It's an observation, not a criticism, top flight IRC probably isn't what the boat is about, although I'm also pretty sure that J-Uk were more than happy with the rating. The fact it's holding it's own is encouraging and it's going to be interesting to see how she does in the Warsash series.

Flaming

Anarchist
UK
http://www.warsashspringseries.org.uk/2011/results/blackgroup11.htm

Fifth place although it looks like it was a big boat race.

Difficult on the start line with those other boats I suspect.
I don't think you can read anything into that result. Very light winds with big holes this week. We were fully parked with all the zeros on the log for about 20 min. Obviously a lovely 12 knots filled in as we motored in...

Coming after the lightest winter series ever, this is getting a bit tedious...

#17 is in the house...she arrived yesterday to the SF Bay area. Target is to have her sailing early in April. Hopefully the first of many SF Bay sister ships for trail blazer Rag Bag's #4 Invisible Hand.

A couple iPhone images will be posted shortly

#17 image

/monthly_03_2011/post-23683-007937300%201300649619_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0652.jpg
    IMG_0652.jpg
    578.2 KB · Views: 12