J/111 Goes Sailing...

pjrs

Very nice - funny how the grins came out at 17 knots ! :)

So is the pole too long for the best Code 0 shape/design or too long for the forces involved?

Last edited by a moderator:

left hook

Super Anarchist
I'm really really looking forward to my first breezy downhill slide on a 111. My current boatspeed record is 16.8 and I'm looking to go higher B)

ragbag

Anarchist
Very nice - funny how the grins came out at 17 knots ! :)

So is the pole too long for the best Code 0 shape/design or too long for the forces involved?
I think we've had this debate already at nauseum. The code zero is already a large sail set on our prod. It gets trimmed most of the way in and the clew comes all the way back like a lareg genoa, Had the sail's geometry been designed for the sprit it would have made the sail that much bigger and carried the whole canvas way forward from where it is designed to be. Rememeber that this boat wasn't designed for a code zero to begin with.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
We'll be doing a HD 1080p walkthrough and review of the J/111 in Charleston. Please let me know if there's anything that isn't obvious that you think I should highlight. Big ups to J/Boats for sponsoring OTWA - Charleston...

krispy kreme

Super Anarchist
b8lm9y.jpg

AFTERGLOW

Wetport
Left Hook said:
First very general impressions of the boat on the hard:

• Cockpit will be great. Big and good for crew work.
  • The interior is very nicely minimalized and set up for racing. Losing the V-Berth and headliner will turn out to be good things.
  • For distance racing the pilot berths are going to be a good thing.

More as I think of them but now that I've stepped foot on a finished boat I'm very excited.

And yes this will out my account to our owner, oh well. Hey there!!
What you get for spilling your mouth and the RUM all the time...

left hook

Super Anarchist
Left Hook said:
First very general impressions of the boat on the hard:

• Cockpit will be great. Big and good for crew work.
  • The interior is very nicely minimalized and set up for racing. Losing the V-Berth and headliner will turn out to be good things.
  • For distance racing the pilot berths are going to be a good thing.

More as I think of them but now that I've stepped foot on a finished boat I'm very excited.

And yes this will out my account to our owner, oh well. Hey there!!
What you get for spilling your mouth and the RUM all the time...
Be nice Bill!! There are people watching now....

Lee G

Super Anarchist
111 not looking too good after the 1st 3 races in Charleston. Uh-oh.... :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:

firestarter

Annapolis
I'm one of the owners of the 111 at CRW (Velocity). Friday was the first time the crew had raced together and on a new boat so there were communication and coordination things that needed to be figured out. The weather was something of a factor too, there was a lot of chop and the heavier boats seemed to carry through it better with their greater momentum. The winds weren't quite heavy enough to get the boat up on a plane so combining that with the bigger boats ability to carry speed through the waves made it challenging.

As you can see from the Sunday results, things got a lot smoother once we had some time on the water together to learn the boat and each other. The winds were lighter and the water was pretty flat so being lighter helped out us out, we were able to overtake a lot of boats including at least one J/130 from the PHRF A start! I thought we had a shot at Gambler on the last race but it wasn't to be, those guys were dialed in and did a great job.

Overall we were very pleased with the boat!

SailRacer

Super Anarchist
+ 10 for the Owner.

We were nearby on the 36.7 SD and can attest to the lighter boats not sailing as well as the heavier boats. Sail Safe!

Now you know what to do....

opusone

Anarchist
I'm one of the owners of the 111 at CRW (Velocity). Friday was the first time the crew had raced together and on a new boat so there were communication and coordination things that needed to be figured out. The weather was something of a factor too, there was a lot of chop and the heavier boats seemed to carry through it better with their greater momentum. The winds weren't quite heavy enough to get the boat up on a plane so combining that with the bigger boats ability to carry speed through the waves made it challenging.

As you can see from the Sunday results, things got a lot smoother once we had some time on the water together to learn the boat and each other. The winds were lighter and the water was pretty flat so being lighter helped out us out, we were able to overtake a lot of boats including at least one J/130 from the PHRF A start! I thought we had a shot at Gambler on the last race but it wasn't to be, those guys were dialed in and did a great job.

Congrats on you new ride and thanks for the observations. Looking forward to racing against one of those soon.

Cheers,

opusone

Lee G

Super Anarchist

Nice job and good luck with the new ride! BTW, I'll be sailing on your old boat this season, the j92.

firestarter

Annapolis
Thanks for the welcome guys, I've been lurking around here for a while and it's fun to be able to talk about our experiences on the water. We're going to be running a good racing campaign this year (largely on the Chesapeake) so I'll hope to meet some of you at the events!

Lee G: Congrats on your purchase! That J/92 was a ton of fun, I sailed it constantly last year and it was super easy to manage. We raced it, day-sailed it and even did a little cruising around the bay. I'm sure you'll have a blast with it!

Lee G

Super Anarchist
Thanks for the welcome guys, I've been lurking around here for a while and it's fun to be able to talk about our experiences on the water. We're going to be running a good racing campaign this year (largely on the Chesapeake) so I'll hope to meet some of you at the events!

Lee G: Congrats on your purchase! That J/92 was a ton of fun, I sailed it constantly last year and it was super easy to manage. We raced it, day-sailed it and even did a little cruising around the bay. I'm sure you'll have a blast with it!
Thanks, not my purchase but I'll be crewing with them. Its better not having to sign the checks... :D

Latest posts