J/111 Goes Sailing...

ragbag

Anarchist
J/111 #4 Invisible Hand had another excellent outing at the 2011 Spinnaker Cup from San Francisco to Monterey yesterday. Won our 16 boat division, both across the line, and on corrected, 4th overall out of 43 boats. Epic sailing down wind across Monterey Bay, mid teen speeds, peaking at 17-18 with 20-24 kts. of breeze.

http://www.mpyc.org/index.php/racing/results/404-spinnaker-2011-cup-results
This just in: Invisible Hand moves up to 3rd overall, (1st in division, no change) after it was discovered that the #1 overall boat was incorrectly scored on its buoy rating, not downwind handicap like everybody else.

ragbag

Anarchist
The J111 chose the wrong side of the beat and pulled her result back to what it was on the heavy air downwind leg.
The J/111 is a great boat but I regret to report that it doesn't improve your tactical decisions on the race course. Sort of like buying a copy of PowerPoint and hoping you will become a better presenter. If you suck, you will still suck on this boat, and vice versa.

Goblew

Detroit Area
J/111 #4 Invisible Hand had another excellent outing at the 2011 Spinnaker Cup from San Francisco to Monterey yesterday. Won our 16 boat division, both across the line, and on corrected, 4th overall out of 43 boats. Epic sailing down wind across Monterey Bay, mid teen speeds, peaking at 17-18 with 20-24 kts. of breeze.

http://www.mpyc.org/index.php/racing/results/404-spinnaker-2011-cup-results
This just in: Invisible Hand moves up to 3rd overall, (1st in division, no change) after it was discovered that the #1 overall boat was incorrectly scored on its buoy rating, not downwind handicap like everybody else.

Well done. Seems like you've got the boat dialed in pretty quickly.

edwinmontano

J/111 Fleet #1 (Chicago) had our first races on Saturday with 4 J/111s in our own one-design section. We sailed 2 races in about 5-10 knots of breeze with relatively flat water. At the end of the day 3 boats were tied for the lead with 4 points each. The racing was pretty tight for our first time out on the water together.

ragbag

Anarchist
J/111 Fleet #1 (Chicago) had our first races on Saturday with 4 J/111s in our own one-design section. We sailed 2 races in about 5-10 knots of breeze with relatively flat water. At the end of the day 3 boats were tied for the lead with 4 points each. The racing was pretty tight for our first time out on the water together.
That is very impressive, Chicago! We have 2 boats on the water in San Francisco now, not quite what you'd call a fleet yet. Waiting for all those 105 owners to pull the trigger.

Lee G

Super Anarchist
So whats the plan for Block Island Race Week? I see the 3 111's are in 3 different classes - PHRF, IRC 35 and IRC 40 :blink:

dickie greenleaf

Super Anarchist
I'm sailing on a 111 for the next two weekends (starting on the 11th), and would like to know if the SA community can share a few tips/tricks concerning the highest and best practices around the course.

Any trimming or crew tips that can be shared would be greatly appreciated. Doesn't have to be an exhaustive list, just some basic things to keep in mind on the 111.

Good times, and thanks!

DG

ragbag

Anarchist

hermetic

Super Anarchist
So whats the plan for Block Island Race Week? I see the 3 111's are in 3 different classes - PHRF, IRC 35 and IRC 40 :blink:
Partnership had smaller sail(s) made. The rest (3 or 4) should be in the same class - which hasn't been determined yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

dickie greenleaf

Super Anarchist
Sailed the 111 tonight. Trimmed a bit, drove a bit.

Not sure what all the fuss is about.

:lol:

DG
guess you can always go back to the 36.7 :D
It's tough - 36.7 + Melges 24 vs J111

The J111 could be the "one boat" solution but its still a more expensive option
True. I still have nightmares each time I go below. The dealer said that they could pimp my ride a bit to make it more homey, but then WTF do I do when I want to sell the thing in 10 years.... no buyers for a Winnebago version of the 111.

DG

Latest posts