J/111 Goes Sailing...

edwinmontano

Are you furling the jib prior to the kite filling?

Or, are you sailing a hot angle right out of the hoist and the kite should be full prior to dousing the headsail?

What's the preference?

DG
Preference is to bring the headsail down as fast as you can once the kite is up.

What Mental did in the Chicago Noods this weekend was...

Hoist chute

Ease jib completely

Then when kite fills roll jib up.

BTW: we have the collapsible horizontal battens on the jib (Doyle). They work really well. Much better than the horizontal battens we had on the J109 5 years ago. Those sucked.

dickie greenleaf

Super Anarchist

Or, are you sailing a hot angle right out of the hoist and the kite should be full prior to dousing the headsail?

What's the preference?

DG
Preference is to bring the headsail down as fast as you can once the kite is up.

Hoist chute

Ease jib completely

BTW: we have the collapsible horizontal battens on the jib (Doyle). They work really well. Much better than the horizontal battens we had on the J109 5 years ago. Those sucked.
Thanks!

Anyone have the polars from the boat by chance? It would be very helpful for us.

Thanks again.

DG

Jambalaya

Super Anarchist
Hamble / Paris
Once you try vertical batterns you'll never go back ! I cannot think of a single J-Boat in the UK with the roll-able horizontal batterns - I had them for a while and they sucked, they are poor for sail shape, don't furl well, they don't last long and they are expensive. The vertical ones are a bit of a hassle when changing jibs but the benefits outweigh the negatives.

Once you try vertical batterns you'll never go back ! I cannot think of a single J-Boat in the UK with the roll-able horizontal batterns - I had them for a while and they sucked, they are poor for sail shape, don't furl well, they don't last long and they are expensive. The vertical ones are a bit of a hassle when changing jibs but the benefits outweigh the negatives.
I had just saved a picture of those Doyle jibs to show to North in Cape Town... I really hate the vertical battens but want to keep the furling ability on my 105. Since moving the boat to Cape Town we have used our No 4 jib more in the last 6 months than in the 3 years prior as it's often blowing over 25-30kts true. Its a real pain to take down the no 3 with those long battens to hoist the no 4... Oh well, we can at least dream can't we?

Tommyboomer

What's the preference?

DG

Hoist chute

Ease jib completely

I was told that over 12kts or so, doesn't hurt leaving out the jib.... haven't really had a chance to try this yet, as we've only seen light winds since I launched the boat.

dickie greenleaf

Super Anarchist

What's the preference?

DG

Hoist chute

Ease jib completely

I was told that over 12kts or so, doesn't hurt leaving out the jib.... haven't really had a chance to try this yet, as we've only seen light winds since I launched the boat.
Is that in lieu of a staysail?

Christian

Super Anarchist

What's the preference?

DG

Hoist chute

Ease jib completely

It is a pretty short sprit so I would think that it needs to be up in the twenties before the jib won't kill the flow (and then it might still even at higher wind speeds)

pjrs

See a J111 had a very respectable result under IRC in this weekends Round The Island Race - Shmoking Joe posted a 1st in class, group and 6th overall IRC. As normal with this race class/group result is more relevant due to the tidal influence, but the o/a result is very impressive for a mid rated boat.

Don't know if it's the boats first outing, but haven't heard of it on the south coast before. Anyone got any info?

Last edited by a moderator:

JL92S

Super Anarchist
UK
See a J111 had a very respectable result under IRC in this weekends Round The Island Race - Shmoking Joe posted a 1st in class, group and 6th overall IRC. As normal with this race class/group result is more relevant due to the tidal influence, but the o/a result is very impressive for a mid rated boat.

Don't know if it's the boats first outing, but haven't heard of it on the south coast before. Anyone got any info?
it had been in the water less than a week and is brand new, btw small boats usually win this race every year because they get more favourable tides in the race so for a big boat to go out and get 6th is outstanding and by comparison the ker 40 finished 48th with ben ainslie sharing the helming

Jambalaya

Super Anarchist
Hamble / Paris
The J111 Shmoking Joe had been in the water a day prior to the RTI having literally just arrived from the factory ! Interestingly the owners prior yacht was a J90 (Hull #1 unfortunately destroyed by a de-humid fire).

Anecdotal reports are that the Ker 40 would have placed a lot better had it not blown all their kites in repeated broaches, a plus for the J111 is that she broached only a handful of times and was back on her feet quickly without sail damage.

Presuming Ed

Super Anarchist
London, UK
Anecdotal reports are that the Ker 40 would have placed a lot better had it not blown all their kites in repeated broaches...
If Ainslie can't hold it downwind, what hope for mere mortals....?
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

Latest posts