J/111 Goes Sailing...

chrisdowling

Have you more information

Hull #NameCountryPageWebSite1JakeAUSO 2ImpulseUSAO 3HotRum IIUSAO 4lnvisibleHandUSAO 5BlastCANO 6ArabellaUKP 7007 HasUSAO 8VelocityUSAO 9 NZL 10Kairos SUlP 11Kontiki VUSAO 12KashmirUSAO 13 COL 14 CANO 15NoSurpriseUSAO 16PartnershipUSAO 17MadMenUSAO 18AlphalinkFRAP 19TrueLoveUKP 20ShmokingJoeUKP 21MistyUSAO 22MentalUSAO 23VoltefaceCANO 24Nighthawk USAO 25UnpluggedUSAO 26AndiamoUSAO 27 28WarlockCANO 29 30Wicked 2.0USAO 31 32 CAN 33Ragin'USAO 34JSpiritUKP 35JengaVllUKP Hull #NameCountryPageWebSite36 37FleetwingUSAO 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47WowIRLP 48 GER 49J-XcentricNEDP 50LeJouetFRAP 51MunkenbeckUKP 52BatoJilFRAP 53JDreamUKP 54JStormITAP 55 SUIP 56 NEDP 57 ESPP 58 UKP 59 SWEP 60 61 62

Listing

Stephane LeJouet.eu
Stephane,

Hull #9 is named Bravo and is based in Shelter Island, NY, USA

Thanks for keeping a list!

Chris

Jambalaya

Super Anarchist
Hamble / Paris
Melges 24: 360 / 5 = 72

J111 650 / 72 = 9,02

I think it's to mutch.

with J105 six is good with J111 one more is ok not 3
I agree completely.

For information the UK/Ireland J109 class uses 600kg excluding the owner. Boats race with 8 or even 9 people, crazy. Also in the UK/Ireland for big J109 events there are professional sailors (even though the rule says they cannot be paid, people find a way around that), I think you should expect that in J111 events too unfortunately.

hermetic

Super Anarchist
To get to the max (650) by using 72kg average crew you'll need 9.

Throw in a few 90kg'ers and you'll get to 8.

If you do a distance race, or if it gets above 15 - you'll want those extra bodies / weight.

I like the 650 (1430)

Jambalaya

Super Anarchist
Hamble / Paris
To get to the max (650) by using 72kg average crew you'll need 9.

Throw in a few 90kg'ers and you'll get to 8.

If you do a distance race, or if it gets above 15 - you'll want those extra bodies / weight.

I like the 650 (1430)
We appreciate there are different views on this. Stephane and I both enjoyed sailing our J105s with 6 (French OD), ample. For UK OD we had to find another person who generally had nothing to do as rule was for 7. We raced Spi Ouest in 30 knots of wind with 6 no problem even flew the kite. On distance races I prefer 2 handed, less people aboard is way more fun.

GybeSet

Super Anarchist
Melges 24: 360 / 5 = 72

J111 650 / 72 = 9,02

I think it's to mutch.

with J105 six is good with J111 one more is ok not 3
mr le alphabet

lead-belly sailors vs. sportsboat demographics.

of course the yachties will be fatter than a 24 sailor

90kg would be a lightweight at the top, googleImages Connors, Murray, Butterworth and D ************ for a visual check

thats the guts of the matter

Last edited by a moderator:

pjrs

Class rules on crew weight for J111 seems to be 650kg all up - ie INCLUDING the owner/driver, which is a bit different from the UK 109 setup (600kg + owner). 650/8 = 81kg, which seems to be about right - helm, main, 3 trimmers (or 2 trimmers + sewer/nav/tactics), pit, mast, foredeck. Drop a trimmer if your sailing with fat boys. 8 also happens to be IRC crew number.

Don't know if its relevant but J-dream, (one of the better UK 109's - who also had a pro at UK 109 nationals) have been advertising for some weight for their new 111 recently, despite the fact the 109 crew would probably have been over the 650kg limit - I'm thinking they may be feeling that hanging some lard out upwind could help in W/L on what appears to be an easily powered up boat....

Jambalaya

Super Anarchist
Hamble / Paris
Class rules on crew weight for J111 seems to be 650kg all up - ie INCLUDING the owner/driver, which is a bit different from the UK 109 setup (600kg + owner). 650/8 = 81kg, which seems to be about right - helm, main, 3 trimmers (or 2 trimmers + sewer/nav/tactics), pit, mast, foredeck. Drop a trimmer if your sailing with fat boys. 8 also happens to be IRC crew number.

Don't know if its relevant but J-dream, (one of the better UK 109's - who also had a pro at UK 109 nationals) have been advertising for some weight for their new 111 recently, despite the fact the 109 crew would probably have been over the 650kg limit - I'm thinking they may be feeling that hanging some lard out upwind could help in W/L on what appears to be an easily powered up boat....
There is no 111 class racing yet, all irc and I recall the winter series allows irc crew limit+2. Generally pays to be as heavy as possible in winter series as its generally stronger winds.

Last edited by a moderator:

pjrs

J - agreed, what was of more interest was the fact that they thought they need a couple of 95kg+ bods to get competitive, I'm assuming they aren't doing this just to take fat people sailing. I guess the relevance is, like it or not, starting to see results in IRC W/L is going to be relevant for really establishing the OD in the UK.

Jambalaya

Super Anarchist
Hamble / Paris
J - agreed, what was of more interest was the fact that they thought they need a couple of 95kg+ bods to get competitive, I'm assuming they aren't doing this just to take fat people sailing. I guess the relevance is, like it or not, starting to see results in IRC W/L is going to be relevant for really establishing the OD in the UK.
Understood. Yes agreed re: IRC success leading to boats sales leading to OD. I think had they had a real rating they would have finished 4th or 5th last time out which is pretty good given very limited time in the boat.

Blur

Super Anarchist
Sweden
Some great photos of another 111.

Kudos to Blur for hosting them on his site. Well done.

111 Photos

DG
Nice find :D

I also did a short write-up on http://www.blur.se/2011/11/13/j111-piranha-test-sail/

White paint + dirty bottoms is always a problem trying to get good photos. Even at the big championships they either sand them down to much or get dirty in a few days. The good thing is that you can clean the boat in PhotoShop, but it's work you only want to do if you get paid.

Hope to post a video as well in the next few days.

j109

UK
Sounds like Blur had fun and they would certainly get the best out of the J/111.

Spoke with J-Dream about their weight requirement. As they are racing IRC they believe that another 2 people on the rail would be beneficial, as it is to most boats. They sail with some little people, apparently about 58, 62, 67 kg. Their weight on the J109 was 598-599.8kg plus driver so they are probably 30-35kg over the J/111 rule. Kirsty is amused that David will have to lose weight too instead of eating cooked breakfast whilst they all wait to weigh in!

There were 2 J/111s out at the Winter Series yesterday and watching them come downwind they were on fire. I wished I was on one of them, that was for sure! Apparently doing consistent 15 knots in 18-20knots breeze. We rounded one leeward mark with JD, same windward mark and then they were coming back upwind as we were still only half way down the run.

JDs results so far are DNC. DNC, 3, 9, 4, 3, 5 if they had the same handicap as Jenga and they do not have a racing main.

ragbag

Anarchist
Some great photos of another 111.

Kudos to Blur for hosting them on his site. Well done.

111 Photos

DG
Nice find :D

I also did a short write-up on http://www.blur.se/2011/11/13/j111-piranha-test-sail/

White paint + dirty bottoms is always a problem trying to get good photos. Even at the big championships they either sand them down to much or get dirty in a few days. The good thing is that you can clean the boat in PhotoShop, but it's work you only want to do if you get paid.

Hope to post a video as well in the next few days.
Blur, you've got the 111 bug! Gets under your skin, doesn't it?

Latest posts