J/111 Goes Sailing...

hermetic

Super Anarchist
Mental has StuJ, Wicked has Neal Fowler calling shots. Couple of smarties.

Lighter wind than Mon + Tues would even things out a bit vs the 122.

Goblew

Detroit Area
corkob said:
Valid points (and some misconceptions about sprits).

I considered X-35 and A35 when I bought the J/109 - more a matter of taste than anything. And today the First 35 would be on the list as well. Probably the First 35 and 40 are the most sensible choices if you want a cruiser/racer.

But looking at the racer/cruiser segment from the "overpriced" perspective, I lost less money on my J/109 than my friends who got X-35 and A-35 at the same time. And I can today get a race ready 2007 X-41 for the same money I got when I sold my 2007 J/109 three weeks ago (both boats bought new in 2007 and raced in Scandinavia). So "excellent resale" might mean different things to different people.

In the end both Xp 38, J/111 and First 40 are selling very well - but in completely different segments of the market. You might think that a J/111 is overpriced and I might think that 520.000 USD is a bit much for a well speced Xp38. But both boats are still selling, so I guess both J and X got their pricing right :)
Ahh, my faith in the Irish (Corkob, that is) is restored.... I also considered the A35 and X-35 as well as the First 35 as pretty much my shortlist. I wanted a sprit boat (specifically for better shorthanded capability) vs traditional symmetric which lowered the F35 and X35. Manufacturer and dealer support were also considerations on the X-35 and A35. Compared pricing on all with similar specs. Once you add carbon masts to these, the pricing came much closer (at least here in the States). Since cruising isn't that much of a priority for me, I find the 111 interior fine for my purposes (race deliveries, overnight during regatta's, etc.) and it's very easy to setup for offshore. I've had no problems with water coming through the sprit due to its design, however a few teething issues with a new boat that have been addressed. In terms of resale, J's have always done well and I felt that that would hold up better here in the States than the others that have limited exposure. Build quality may mean different things to different people (level of finish vs. construction, for example). On my old boat, if someone jumped on the deck, the whole boat shook. On the J, it's just rock solid while being a ton lighter and 6 foot longer.
I appreciate where your coming from there. You need a brand awareness in a locality to maintain values. Some of the European brands are probably relatively unknown in the states and vice versa. The serious Regatta campaigners in Ireland (the few that are left after the Celtic Tiger gasped its last) are dominanted by Ker and Mills design boats. There is only one J-111 in Ireland at present - WOW which sails out of the Royal Irish YC in Dublin. This will get its first real test in Cork Week during the coming July. Nice to see Blurs picture of the J 111 at the Fastnet. This would have been the day after Rambler 100 turned on its back, three or four miles to the South after rounding the rock. Lovely shot of the boat although I must confess of having seen enough of the Fastnet light over the years. Here's some footage of the Kinsale Fastnet from the MCM on my boat. There's even a J in it. See it sail past as if we were stopped (actually we were stopped) at the Old Head of Kinsale. We did catch him up............. eventually.

Nice vid and beautiful scenery.

Jambalaya

Super Anarchist
Hamble / Paris
pjrs - one of the first 109's won the 2 handed RBI - back in 2004 or something like that. Same guy then went on the "do well" in the Fastnet 2H but was DSQ'd for sailing with an undeclared genoa whilst being rated just for a small 3, there was a queue of us protesting him. We saw him with the big sail up and then changing down in Poole Bay, he'd been told by along list of peope to not take the sail or get his rating changed. I was so slow by the time I got to Plymouth he'd been protested and DSQ'd !

BTW I don't think that's the same folk as on the 111 this time.

Last edited by a moderator:

hermetic

Super Anarchist

No excuse with the talent on Wicked for them to not be winning. Driver learned to sail with Dickson in the SORC days!!!
Oh, the stories we've heard about sailing with "Dicko" aboard Scaramouche!
Fortunately he learned more from Duplin than he did from the douchebag from down under.

pjrs

pjrs - one of the first 109's won the 2 handed RBI - back in 2004 or something like that. Same guy then went on the "do well" in the Fastnet 2H but was DSQ'd for sailing with an undeclared genoa whilst being rated just for a small 3, there was a queue of us protesting him. We saw him with the big sail up and then changing down in Poole Bay, he'd been told by along list of peope to not take the sail or get his rating changed. I was so slow by the time I got to Plymouth he'd been protested and DSQ'd !

Cheers Jambalaya, Blur is this the boat you were talking about?

Blur

Super Anarchist
Sweden

Might be. Just came up in a discussione when I was in The Netherlands. Couldn't find the old results.

crashtestdummy

Anarchist

No excuse with the talent on Wicked for them to not be winning. Driver learned to sail with Dickson in the SORC days!!!
Oh, the stories we've heard about sailing with "Dicko" aboard Scaramouche!
Fortunately he learned more from Duplin than he did from the douchebag from down under.
Looks like he needs to go back for a few more lessons

pjrs

Might be. Just came up in a discussione when I was in The Netherlands. Couldn't find the old results.
With a bit more digging, it looks like it was the 2002 race when co-skipper of J-Xcentric won RBI

'Robin Verhoef, co-skipper of J/111, J-Xcentric is no stranger to short handed racing. In 2002, the Dutchman won the grueling Two Handed Round Britain and Ireland Race.'

linky

Not the same guy who got DSQ from 2h Fastnet - Henk Bulthuis in 2005.

Hijack over - back to your scheduled J111 programme.....

Blur

Super Anarchist
Sweden

With a bit more digging, it looks like it was the 2002 race when co-skipper of J-Xcentric won RBI

'Robin Verhoef, co-skipper of J/111, J-Xcentric is no stranger to short handed racing. In 2002, the Dutchman won the grueling Two Handed Round Britain and Ireland Race.'

linky

Thanks. Robin is a great guy and dedicated short-handed racer.

He also did the RBI on a Class 40 a couple of years ago.

bshores

Houston, TX

linky

Thanks. Robin is a great guy and dedicated short-handed racer.

He also did the RBI on a Class 40 a couple of years ago.
Blur glad to hear you finally pulled the trigger on the J/111. I think your downwind rides may be a tad more exciting than on the 109. Just curious, where is yours being built, and what is the build time looking like? Are we still talking over a year from order to delivery?

Looking forward to seeing your updates once she splashes.

Jambalaya

Super Anarchist
Hamble / Paris

linky

I think the RBI team was Bulthuis (owner) and Verhoef. I chatted to Robin at Plymouth this year, very nice guy, not the sort to claim he didn't understand IRC

Blur

Super Anarchist
Sweden
You can buy a European J111 for delivery before the summer. As per Blur's post his boat was built by J-Europe
Yup. Next 2-3 boats from JB Composites in France will go directly to Spi Ouest in late march.

Next one after that might be late april. They have the possibility to increase capacity, but it times like this it's a good thing to see the signed orders first.

/monthly_01_2012/post-5025-085117800%201327138273_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• j111-teaser-1.jpg
    j111-teaser-1.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 2

andyxs

love the j111 and how successful it is, the boat is stuning, but that pic really reminds me of another boat, cant put my finger n it at the moment.

us7070

Super Anarchist
i got an email from McMichaels (big NYC area J Boat dealer), saying they have a demo 111 for sale - not sure if it's theirs, or where it is.

andyxs

ahh remembered now. unfortunatly i cant seem to find a good photo, but it looks alot like the corby 35 njos ex converting machine 92,

Blur

Super Anarchist
Sweden
ahh remembered now. unfortunatly i cant seem to find a good photo, but it looks alot like the corby 35 njos ex converting machine 92,
http://web.me.com/jcboats/CorbyYachts/Njos.html

Speaking of Corby, my friend has a 36' "Inga from Sweden".

http://web.me.com/jcboats/CorbyYachts/Inga_from_Sweden.html

Stunning boat, with some very nice details/gear:

http://www.blur.se/2010/08/12/sweet-corby-36-gimp/

And with the J/111 we end up pretty much at the same rating. Will be fun!

Latest posts