J/111 Goes Sailing...

Blur

Super Anarchist
Sweden
Here's how it's done on the European boats. I've seen people mounting tha autopilot directly to the quadrant and squeezing the autopilot into the space in front of the small bulkhead. Seems extremely hard to do, and tough to both service and couple/decouple. Still trying to find a good way of doing this!?!?

Maybe replace the stop with Dyneema lines and then do a proper arm in carbon pointing aft... Thanks for the photo.

Our plan is to go with NKE and have someone mount it in France before Spi Ouest in april.

/monthly_02_2012/post-5025-033812100%201328208962_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• quadrant-1.jpg
    quadrant-1.jpg
    391.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:

Blur

Super Anarchist
Sweden
Actually, here's my plan after giving it some thought: remove the stop. make one carbon arm, pointing aft, attach it directly to the rudder axis (oval - will try to get a drawing). Then it would be easy to set two new stops as endpoints for that arm?

Blur

Super Anarchist
Sweden
International J/111 Regatta Schedule
The International J/111 Regatta Schedule for 2012 is outlined below for one-design and offshore events for J/111s located in Europe (UK/ Ireland/ France/ Sweden) and for the Americas (East, Pacific, Great Lakes).

The J/111 has already achieved phenomenal race results under IRC, ORR and PHRF handicap systems including class wins at the Round the Island Race, Cowes Week, Key West Race Week and Annapolis Race Week, to name just a few. However, the intention has always been to launch an International One Design Class as soon as a viable number of J/111s had been sold and were out on the water racing. This point has now been reached: over seventy-five J/111s have been sold and fifty of these are already sailing!

The J/111 Class has been created as a true one-design Class where the real test when raced is between crews and not boats and equipment. The fundamental objective of the J/111 class rules is to ensure this concept is maintained. J/111 hulls, appendages and rigs are only be produced by a licensed manufacturer (every single boat is weighed on a load-cell prior to leaving the factory) and all J/111 sails measurement will be controlled under the ISAF Certification system.

The J/111 Class Association will initially be administered by both J/Boats in Newport and Key Yachting Ltd in the UK for the J/111 owners on an international basis. The intent is to have the formalized J/111 Class organization operating by Fall 2012 by J/111 owners. For more information on the J/111 or on the regatta schedule detailed below, please contact Becci Eplett at Key Yachting Ltd or J/Boats Newport.

In addition, we suggest you look at Peter Gustafsson's BLUR.SE, he’s sailing the European circuit, and the French LE JOUET websites for an example of how teams are organizing in Europe. A J/111 Class website will be on-line soon.
England/Ireland/France

Mar 18-Apr 29 – Warsash Spring Series

Apr 5-9 – SPI Ouest France

Apr 28 – Tour de Belle-Ile

May 18-20 – Vice Admiral's Cup

May 25-28 – Grand Prix Crouesty

Jun 1-5 – Record SNSM

Jun 9-10 – Royal Southern YC Regatta

Jun 30 – JP Morgan Round the Island Race

Jul 7-13 – Cork Week

Jul 25-28 – J-Cup 2012

Aug 11-18 – Cowes Week & J/111 Europeans

East Coast Circuit

May 4-6 – Annapolis SW NOOD

Jun 8-10 – NYYC Annual Regatta

Jul 13-15 – SailNewport Regatta

Jul 18-22 – NYYC Race Week & J/111 East Coasts

Aug 3-5 – Buzzards Bay Regatta

Aug 17-18 – Ida Lewis Distance Race

Great Lakes Circuit

Jun 2-3 – Colors Regatta-

Jun 8-10 – Chicago SW NOOD

Jul 21-24 – Chicago-Mackinac Race

Jul 27-29 – Harbor Springs Regatta & J/111 Great Lakes

Aug 10-12 – Verve Cup Regatta

Pacific Coast Circuit

May 4-6 – Yachting Cup

May 25-26 – Spinnaker Cup

Jun 13-17 – Coastal Cup

Jun 22-2 – Long Beach Race Week

Jul 27-29 – Aldo Alessio Regatta

Sep 5-9 – Big Boat Series & J/111 Pacific Coasts

Future International Regattas

2013 – J/111 European Championship, France

2013 – J/111 World Championship, USA

2014 – J/111 World Championship, UK

mmayer

Actually, here's my plan after giving it some thought: remove the stop. make one carbon arm, pointing aft, attach it directly to the rudder axis (oval - will try to get a drawing). Then it would be easy to set two new stops as endpoints for that arm?
You plan sounds like it would work much like ours. In looking at your picture, you might want to give some thought to mounting the carbon arm to the two square tabs on the quadrant where the steering cable turns in from the turnbuckles. It appears you could drill through those tabs and make a Y shaped arm that attaches to them. Just a thought as attaching ours to the quadrant worked out very well.

mmayer

\\BTW - its interesting that the euro boats have carbon rudder posts. Ours appears to be aluminum.

Blur

Super Anarchist
Sweden
On Le Jouet,

For the pin it's very easy and ok

For the foot the piece is not strong enough

We must make a new stratification

My link (foot page)
Just to understand. Is the autopilot not strong enough? Or the bulkhead where you mounted it?

I embedded your video below. Is that "tiller arm" fitting really long enough? Should be 250 mm. Also, the alignment is off.

Jambalaya

Super Anarchist
Hamble / Paris
the bulkhead where i mounted it, is not enought strong.
Generally, at least, you should add some strengthening. My 109 pilot (Raymarine Linear Arm) was fitted to engine bulkhead with an additional large piece of wood to strengthen it. If I were sailing the boat again I would upgrade the mounting (under use in heavy weahter you could see/hear things moving about a bit). It does of course depend on what conditions you want to use the pilot, motoring in flat water or with sails up in 30 knots of breeze when racing. On the 105 the mount was strong but in heavy weather we broke the steering quadrant (ie pilot arm and mounting in tack, quadrant broke at point arm was mounted as the hole drilled for the mounting weakened it).

Blur

Super Anarchist
Sweden
One quick question regarding hiking downwind.

Hard downwind, how often do you hike through the pushpit (legs out, upper body through it)?

Do the mooring cleats get in the way for 1) crew just forward of the pushpit and/or 2) crew hiking through the pushpit?

Jem

Super Anarchist
South Coast UK

Hard downwind, how often do you hike through the pushpit (legs out, upper body through it)?

Do the mooring cleats get in the way for 1) crew just forward of the pushpit and/or 2) crew hiking through the pushpit?
in anticipation, we've stuck retractable cleats on ours

Blur

Super Anarchist
Sweden

Which ones?

When it is blowing old boots, on the plane at 25+ kts. Space is tight so I would say more emphasis on just getting someone or 2 back there in the breeze

Cleat is just forward of the pushpit next to the kite turning block so doesn't get in the way of anyone

Jem

Super Anarchist
South Coast UK

Which ones?
Not sure - just asked the dealer to stick them on before we play on her - contact J-uk, they will let you know; they will be the little pop-up ones.

J

Jem

Super Anarchist
South Coast UK
I like it.

if you're referring to the pop-up cleats, so do we.

Having said that, I'm sure that someone will leave their knackers behind on gybe when they sit on one and release it - so we'll probably have to stick them down anyway.

The more weight at the back the better, me thinks...