J/111 Goes Sailing...

Blur

Super Anarchist
Sweden
Some Italian vibes for you... As the races in 2022 (both Aegean 600 and Rolex Middle Sea Race) was very windy affairs, this year we opt to increase the ratio "cold beers / orange sails".

Last edited by a moderator:

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
We had our boat weighed yesterday for Pacific Cup. Brochure weight/class minimum is 9,300 lbs. We came in at 9,573. I'm quite happy with that, as it included 100 lbs of batteries, diesel heater, autopilot, dodger, solar panels, and charge controller, e-rudder bracket, two tacklines, and our new rudder is slightly heavier than the original. I suspect we had something like 200 lbs of extra stuff that a boat racing Worlds, for instance, wouldn't have. Pretty good for a production boat, I'd say.

FWIW, a competitive J/125 was weighed at the same time. Brochure weight is 8,350. Measured weight - 9,500. Boom.

IMR

Anarchist
SF Bay Area
We had our boat weighed yesterday for Pacific Cup. Brochure weight/class minimum is 9,300 lbs. We came in at 9,573. I'm quite happy with that, as it included 100 lbs of batteries, diesel heater, autopilot, dodger, solar panels, and charge controller, e-rudder bracket, two tacklines, and our new rudder is slightly heavier than the original. I suspect we had something like 200 lbs of extra stuff that a boat racing Worlds, for instance, wouldn't have. Pretty good for a production boat, I'd say.

FWIW, a competitive J/125 was weighed at the same time. Brochure weight is 8,350. Measured weight - 9,500. Boom.
We recently weight one of the Bay Area 125 at 9385 in orr trim. So 9500 seems about right.

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
Two J/111s raced to Hawaii for the first time in Pacific Cup this year. One double-handed, one fully crewed (4 souls). Both teams had a great experience with no issues. There was no big breeze or big waves to report on any kind of interesting top speed. I believe our best 24 hour run was close to 250nm. Our only wish was that we had carried an A5 for the 20+ in the dark, with no moon, and a hurricane induced cross swell.

IMG_4646.jpg