J/24 New Rules and Rigging.

USA 4182

The only true advantage would be the light air sheets for most boats which are in "good" racing condition before the changes.

The other stuff you can upgrade as it needs to be replaced.

As stated above, get a good start, go the right way, handle the boat well and you can do very well regardless of the type of halyards you have.

There is absolutely zero reason to run out and spend big $$'s on rigging. Heck, we won a race at Worlds and finished third in another, with three year old sails, because we got a good start, went the right way, and generally handled the boat well. Not because I have some cool stuff on my boat.

As for the second spinnaker, we don't need it. You blow it up, which does not happen very often anyway, and yes you probably lose. Its not like we have an epidemic of blown out chutes. The other thing to keep in mind is that 2 spinnakers on board would have resulted in condition specific designs, light air kite, AP kite, heavy air kite.....do we really want to increase the arms race.....and require everyone to spend big $$'s on owning multiple kites.

The only true advantage would be the light air sheets for most boats which are in "good" racing condition before the changes.

The other stuff you can upgrade as it needs to be replaced.

As stated above, get a good start, go the right way, handle the boat well and you can do very well regardless of the type of halyards you have.

There is absolutely zero reason to run out and spend big $$'s on rigging. Heck, we won a race at Worlds and finished third in another, with three year old sails, because we got a good start, went the right way, and generally handled the boat well. Not because I have some cool stuff on my boat.

As for the second spinnaker, we don't need it. You blow it up, which does not happen very often anyway, and yes you probably lose. Its not like we have an epidemic of blown out chutes. The other thing to keep in mind is that 2 spinnakers on board would have resulted in condition specific designs, light air kite, AP kite, heavy air kite.....do we really want to increase the arms race.....and require everyone to spend big $$'s on owning multiple kites.
I already have a Light air kite, an AP kite, and a heavy air Kite. They all measure in to the class rules, but are different cuts. Arms race already here brah.

Sticky Icky

It shouldn't cost any more with the new rules changes, You're buying the same, if not smaller diameter rope. And stripping the cover takes what 5 minutes and a ball point pen?

TimFordi550#87

Tim Fordi550-#87
BUT in the event you have all the other facets of the sport under control, when you are leading the pack, it's a damn good feeling knowing you have a fast horse that will keep you in the lead. And yes, those silly teched out sheets will only add to my confidence, so I'll take them.
Tool nailed it.

Boatspeed is king in J24 racing (as well as most, but not all, other OD racing). Long live the king.

clamslapper

Anarchist
The 5/16" strop for the vang did seem excessive.
Yeah the 5/16" line on the vang strop just absolutely kills your speed. Go to 1/4" and that boat will seriously hold its lane ten times better. Which, in turn, means you'll get laid more by the beauties in the J24 tent. A virtuous circle. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

**rolls eyes***

Last edited by a moderator:
The 5/16" strop for the vang did seem excessive.
Yeah the 5/16" line on the vang strop just absolutely kills your speed. Go to 1/4" and that boat will seriously hold its lane ten times better. Which, in turn, means you'll get laid more by the beauties in the J24 tent. A virtuous circle. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

**rolls eyes***
I'm not saying it kills your speed. I'm just saying that line size was overkill.

markvannote

Newport, RI
Talking about this in the office there are only a few things that will be really upgraded as compared to the package we currently offer. Tapering the spin sheets for sure. Funny someone mentioned the vang pennant. The rule on that pretty much made it manditiry for that to be wire which, honestly, was a pain in the ass to make. So now we can use rope which is better for everyone. Beyond that everyone now has the option to use whatever size rope they want.

This is just a step into the present. Rope is strong enough these days you don't need a minimum strength requirement for safety. Outside of that there is no good reason for a class to dictate the running rigging package. One boat having a different size mainsheet from another by a couple of millimeters does not effect one design in my opinion. Some people will get spendy right away. Some people will not. They will still sail slower downwind than upwind because it is a J-24. Life goes on. Thanks to the class for updating the rules. It's just better this way.

Thanks.

Mark

Grind4Beer

Heh ...

... Smaller or tapered spinsheets for light air can be useful, like tapered halyards for weight aloft, but anywhere above about 10-12kts, I try to keep the line handling a priority. What's the point in rigging 4mm sheets for the main or genny if they slice your gloves to shreds? And how much of the genny sheet(s) could you taper, maybe a 3-4ft gap in the middle? If the breeze is all that light, the trimmer should be sitting lowside with the genny clew in his hand anyway.

... I'd rather have seen the J24 class address the GPS/RDF/etc issue. Back in the late '70s, cheap RDF (as a safety instrument for navigation) cost more than current GPS, and Loran was pricey big-boat stuff. That's not the case anymore, and the ludicrous compass-instrument standoff between fluxgate sensors (Tactick etc) and GPS vectors with the position disabled (Pucks etc) should have been tanked a decade ago.

... For 10% of the price of one new sail, every boat in the J24 class could have a MOB button, and if that comes with some extra tactical goodies like VMG, DTL, etc. Is that going to make competing in the class too expensive, or change the boat-to-boat knife-fight at mark roundings? Nobody I know is squinting at the GPS within the 3-boat circle, or 3 times that. And heck, having previous tracks to look at would probably help the newbs learn trim and tactics faster ...

... Anyway, yeah, the line-size thing was overdue, but they didn't tag the topping-lift/vang-lift or GPS issues ... Apologies for thread drift ...

G4B