J/45

Snarley

Super Anarchist
US
“Quality matters and the J/45 makes no compromise when it comes to critical components like the composite materials, keel, spars, winches, and deck hardware, that all contribute to a comfortable motion while sailing.”

Unlike previous J Boats this one has not been compromised by inferior parts, hostile Beneteau agents or discontented French Laborers. 

Alaris

Super Anarchist
Annapolis
I asked about the price, 685K base price.  I was quoted around 950K all in delivered to Southern California depending on options.
A million bucks for a 45 footer. What a world.

We bought a J/44 new in 1990. I have to think even adjusted for inflation this is considerably more expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Turnerc7

A million bucks for a 45 footer. What a world.

We bought a J/44 new in 1990. I have to think even adjusted for inflation this is considerably more expensive.
It is crazy, have you priced out any new boat lately?  Its the boat or the house...

Swimsailor

Super Anarchist
WA
I think the aesthetics are much better than the Euro brands.  Those are over designed IMO and that adds nothing to the Sailing qualities of the boat.  I prefer the simple aesthetic of J Boats.  I hope they sell a ton.  

gullwinkle

MA
This is accurate ^

This is not accurate ^

Yes this is a busy part of the market right now and it is consumer-driven. It is incredibly expensive for small and mid-size builders to tool up for a boat like this, and they would not be doing it if the buyers were not there. A buyer with the means to purchase a no-compromise cruiser/racer has a lot of options, which is a good thing. Plenty of room for J/Boats to bring their exceptional track record to this part of the market. As a J Dealer (and the guy that sold J/45 #2) I can tell you that our customers have been asking for this boat for a long time. 

J/Boats did their homework on this one, and they have the dealer network to support the owners that buy it. They are upping their game with the design, the construction (no balsa coring, anywhere) and the finish. I can't wait to see the first boats hit the water this summer. 

Detailed dimensions, images etc posted on this page which will be updated frequently:

https://www.mcmichaelyachtbrokers.com/mcmichaelyachtbrokers.com/j-boats/new-j45

That may be true, but I’ve never found a J unattractive. 
Drinking J  kool aid!

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
Yep, I'll take another glass of that Kool Aid! Good looking boat compared to Benes or Hanses, etc...Now I just need to come up with a spare million dollars  :rolleyes:  

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
Yep, I'll take another glass of that Kool Aid! Good looking boat compared to Benes or Hanses, etc...Now I just need to come up with a spare million dollars  :rolleyes:  
Bene / Hanse is not the right comp for this J given probable pricing - need to look at X / Arcona / Grand Soleil etc

airacer

Don't forget the leaky deck fittings in balsa core? There's that.
Simply not true, at least in the J/46 and up. The deck is solid glass under the factory deck fittings. 

The J/45 seems to check all the boxes for a really good offshore boat that is fun to sail. Can’t wait to see one on the water. 

yoyo

Anarchist
There is obviously a master list of features that the target buyers want based on sales.  To get all these features into a design has pushed them all to look similar, on deck and down below.

I would like to see a rendering of the J in white when comparing it to the others.  Not sure I could guess which one sails better or looks better based on renderings and photos alone.

F18 Sailor

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD
Weight will play a large factor in performance. Based on the advertising, I’m guessing this will be a glass, maybe with vinylester build if the buyers are lucky. It’s okay, but necessitates a heavy build. Here’s to hoping the quality is on par with the price tag.

Offshore, pass on the hull windows. At the dock and in the Med, they make sense.

Bottom line: It is no J/145 or J/125 second coming or replacement. I also don’t think it is quite marketed as such, the drop of the 1 in the name suggests more cruiser than racer.

Alaris

Super Anarchist
Annapolis
DQOTD, why did they drop the decimeter model name? Cruiser (feet) vs racer/cruiser (decimeter)?
I believe that is correct. The J/32 and J/46 came out after the decimeter naming convention began and I think that was the justification. 

Snarley

Super Anarchist
US
I thought the 145 was the Racer and 46 was marketed as the Racer / Cruiser.

Perhaps this is the Cruiser and the J/146 is next months new J.  

Hmmm stay tuned!

gullwinkle

MA
This is accurate ^

This is not accurate ^

Yes this is a busy part of the market right now and it is consumer-driven. It is incredibly expensive for small and mid-size builders to tool up for a boat like this, and they would not be doing it if the buyers were not there. A buyer with the means to purchase a no-compromise cruiser/racer has a lot of options, which is a good thing. Plenty of room for J/Boats to bring their exceptional track record to this part of the market. As a J Dealer (and the guy that sold J/45 #2) I can tell you that our customers have been asking for this boat for a long time. 

J/Boats did their homework on this one, and they have the dealer network to support the owners that buy it. They are upping their game with the design, the construction (no balsa coring, anywhere) and the finish. I can't wait to see the first boats hit the water this summer. 

Detailed dimensions, images etc posted on this page which will be updated frequently:

https://www.mcmichaelyachtbrokers.com/mcmichaelyachtbrokers.com/j-boats/new-j45

View attachment 415623
Smiley, based on your recent comments,McMichaels

should buy an ad.

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
Buy an ad says the new guy to the J/Boat dealer in the J/Boat forum, sponsored by J/Boats, responding in a J/Boat thread they didn't start with answers to questions...  Right...

Blur

Super Anarchist
Sweden
Buy an ad says the new guy to the J/Boat dealer in the J/Boat forum, sponsored by J/Boats, responding in a J/Boat thread they didn't start with answers to questions...  Right...
Maybe the "buy an ad"-reactions are referring to linking to your own page with the exact same information as the official J/boats page  :D

This internet stuff is hard.

Naturally, there's a market for this. Arcona has sold plenty of 435 and 465 (lighter and more expensive w an option to go full carbon), X-yachts are pumping out X4³ and X4⁶ (a bit on the heavy side, but a long tradition in this size) as well as Grand Soleil and a few others. So from a business perspective, it makes perfect sense.

Personally, I think they've could have turned up the J/dial a bit more with a retractable sprit and some styling. But as always, they've done their homework.

fcfc

So from a business perspective, it makes perfect sense.

Seriously crowded market in that size :

To be launched, Mat 1340 (racer side)  Salona 46 (more performance cruiser)

In 2020, Grand Soleil 44

In 2019 Arcona 435 ( a bit smaller)

In 2018 Solaris 44

Not forgetting the Dehler 46 from 2014, on the cheaper side, if you can say that for a 46ft.

And at the end, the 2 last Middle Sea Race were won by a quite older First 45... (No longer built, but about the same size and layout).

Blur

Super Anarchist
Sweden
Agree... But if both Arcona and X-yachts can sell 50+ yachts each of a model like this in a few years, I would set a similar goal for J/boats = 25M€.

J/44 = 68 boats, J/46 = 35 boats, J/133 = ???

And I wouldn't call Elusive a First 45 anymore  :D  
New keel, rudder, mast, etc, etc, ...

T sailor

Chesapeake
Personally, I think they've could have turned up the J/dial a bit more with a retractable sprit and some styling. But as always, they've done their homework.
I agree.  I think the most successful boats that j produced were ones where there wasn’t anything comparable in the market.  I think this will be a really nice boat, but I am not sure what sets it apart from the competition?  

Latest posts