J/45

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
But it was designed as a racer, the others as cruisers.  What's your point?
The J-44 was most assuredly not built as a cruiser.  It was built as an ocean racer from the get go.  Yeah, you can cruise the 44, but it was built with Newport-Bermuda, Annapolis-Newport or Marblehead-Halifax in mind.

MauiPunter

Will sail for food
The J-44 was most assuredly not built as a cruiser.  It was built as an ocean racer from the get go.  Yeah, you can cruise the 44, but it was built with Newport-Bermuda, Annapolis-Newport or Marblehead-Halifax in mind.
Didnt the J-44 come in two different configurations if I recall?  One had all the furniture and comfort systems, and then there was more stripped out version with a carbon mast and other lightening things as part of the performance package?  No?

You can kinda see the difference here with all wood interior:
8VRPM8UBT5S7U6A865VYI3KA03IEGA6HVMS4KB325yachtDSC_0554.JPG

vs the lighter interior

J44_interior_main-650-913-470-100-c.jpg

or was this all cosmetic?

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
I think it was just cosmetic.  The white with teak trim version was called the "Herreshoff" interior.  The J-44 was designed back when the IMS rule still credited full interiors, so you could have a "well rounded, comfortable" ocean racer/cruiser.

Last edited by a moderator:

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
Interior options on J-44: 2nd head (aft stbd) instead of stateroom on that side, wood veneer or Formica surfaces. I was told the wood was lighter than the Formica.

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
Built Offshore Tough
The J/45 is built strong by J/Composites (in the Vendee region of France ) with the latest advanced composite resin infusion technology – twice as strong as hand-laid fiberglass boats. J/Composites was the first European-based shipyard to adopt the patented SCRIMP resin infusion system in the mid 90’s and is now one of the most experienced sailboat builders in the world for sandwich/infusion construction.

Anchoring the internal structure of the J/45 hull is an extensive composite grid and series of structural composite bulkheads that are bonded to the hull and deck. The J/45’s custom-engineered structure provides exceptional stiffness and optimal strength-to-weight, without sacrificing the comfort of the living spaces below.

Couple of interesting statements here - 1, claiming scrimp is TWICE as strong as hand lay up??  And 2, bonded in structural elements? Shades of Beneteau!

Black Dog

Super Anarchist

woodpecker

I see Hull #2 is coming off the production line and will be in Newport in May. 
Seems like a very long time between Hull #1 and #2? I would think they must have a pretty full order book.

(Les Sables d'Olonne, France )- J/45 hull #2 is just out the door at J/Composites and looks absolutely stunning as she prepares to head to the commissioning yard in Les Sables d’Olonne, France . After the upcoming launch and sea-trials, ACADIA will be delivered by water to Southampton, UK and then loaded with rig up aboard a Sevenstar Yacht Transport ship for the 12-day passage across the Atlantic Ocean to Newport, Rhode Island. We expect arrival in late May, just in time to meet the fleet preparing for the Newport to Bermuda Race – a bucket-list, adventure passage that ACADIA’s new owners hope to do one day.

\
d415a380-b646-a6ab-f375-2b2f14809180.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Blur

Super Anarchist
Sweden
Seems like a very long time between Hull #1 and #2? I would think they must have a pretty full order book.
J/composites in France are very meticulous when it comes to production, so there would be lots of work to get an efficient production line in place. 

I would think that #1 was a prototype in many ways, and both building and sailing lead to a long list of changes to be made. 

Also, my guess is that they trying to take the interior to the next level, which might include new manufacturers and some initial ramp-up before everything works. It's super important that they meet the high expectations in this segment.

woodpecker

J/composites in France are very meticulous when it comes to production, so there would be lots of work to get an efficient production line in place. 

I would think that #1 was a prototype in many ways, and both building and sailing lead to a long list of changes to be made. 

Also, my guess is that they trying to take the interior to the next level, which might include new manufacturers and some initial ramp-up before everything works. It's super important that they meet the high expectations in this segment.
Do you know if this is J Composites first foam core boat?

Latest posts