J/88

MidPack

Super Anarchist
undecided
So I'm boatless and getting the itch to own again. If I won the lottery, I'd buy a J/111. The J/70 looks like a blast, but that's just too small and the warden won't deal with a bucket anymore (fair enough). So I need them to morph the two boats into a J/88. Wonder when they will update their offering in the 30-foot range?

The J/92 is pretty long in the tooth, and the 92s was a modest but worthwhile refresh. Want something at least 20 secs/mile faster...J/90 with a head would be fine.

MidPack

Super Anarchist
undecided
J33. 78-84 rater, nice interior.
Very good point, but I want something the warden and I (in our 50's) can reasonably double hand in all weather on all pts of sail (and I can singlehand), IMO that requires a sprit/asym. It would be really nice if it fit in a 30 foot slip too. If J/Boats builds a 29-30 foot J/111, we'll be among the first in line...

Last edited by a moderator:

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
I might be second in line...question is if they do a 30 foot version of the 111, does it need to have standing headroom (and thus is more R/C and more expensive) or do they go with 92s like cabin and no standing headroom (thus more racer..and cheaper). J/97 failed to gain traction as it was smaller/slower than a J/109, but as or more expensive than a couple year old 109. If they can bring it in under 6 figures they might have a winner, but that might be pretty tough to do...

I'd think if they tried to do a conventional pole boat (a la a J/29) today, it'd flop...and I wouldn't consider it. I want to reduce the number of crew I need to go racing. I could race my 109 with less crew (and less experienced crew) then I need on my 9.1...

sailman

Super Anarchist
Portsmouth, RI
I might be second in line...question is if they do a 30 foot version of the 111, does it need to have standing headroom (and thus is more R/C and more expensive) or do they go with 92s like cabin and no standing headroom (thus more racer..and cheaper). J/97 failed to gain traction as it was smaller/slower than a J/109, but as or more expensive than a couple year old 109. If they can bring it in under 6 figures they might have a winner, but that might be pretty tough to do...

I'd think if they tried to do a conventional pole boat (a la a J/29) today, it'd flop...and I wouldn't consider it. I want to reduce the number of crew I need to go racing. I could race my 109 with less crew (and less experienced crew) then I need on my 9.1...
I do not understand the move towards strictly asyms in the new race boats, you add one more person on a sym vs asym boat.

sailman

Super Anarchist
Portsmouth, RI
I like the looks of the J97- 31 ft, rates near 108. probably a little too cruisy for your liking though.
From YRALIS:

J97

J 11.71 I 41.25 P 39.5 E13.00 LOA 31.53 LWL 26.6 Beam 11.00

Draft 6.3 Ballast 2,900 Lbs. Disp. 8,600 Lbs.

Max L.P. 110% & Asym 91 square meters

J 97 W/L 108

DIST 103

MidPack

Super Anarchist
undecided
We all have our own ideas for the ideal boat, no universal right answer. I don't care about standing headroom, we'll race and daysail with rare overnights. Must have a sprit/asym, we've had 3 J/Boats and we're sold on the setup for double/single handing (one of our musts). The J/97 is too cruisy, heavy, a tad slow and expensive for us - more creature comforts than we want/need - I'd buy a J/92 if 108 PHRF was our target. Again, we'd like a 29-30 footer along the lines of the J/70 & J/111. For now we keep our powder dry, hoping, while racing on OPB. YMMV

tphil

Sounds like you want a GP 26 or West Coast Dart, built by J.

I'd go with a J/70 for now and then trade up when they build the boat you described.

MidPack

Super Anarchist
undecided
if you weren't wedding to J/Boats, the new Columbia 32 sounds almost like what you want, especially since a marine head is optional
Not "wedded" to J/Boats but we sure do trust them after 3 good experiences. Unfortunately, a builder/design has to achieve critical mass, and after the Columbia 30 I don't have confidence to be an "early adopter" and buy a Columbia 32. I wish them well, time will tell...

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
At 33 ft, you're talking more expensive then a sub 30 ftr....And with the 100 there is little chance of racing OD. A bigger J/70 - smaller J/111 offers the chance for an OD class to form around it....

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
Ryley said:

I do not understand the move towards strictly asyms in the new race boats, you add one more person on a sym vs asym boat.
it's not the quantity, it's the quality. *That* can be the deal breaker. Besides, with the newer designs an asym isn't the handicap on a w/l it once was. Not to mention that you don't see too many deathrolls in asym boats - they just don't sail those kinds of angles, so the boats are relatively safer in a lot of ways.
Yep, its the quality (experience level) of the crew you need. You can "get away" with a less experienced crew (newer folks, family, etc) and suffer less crew related errors/issues and still get around the course successfully. Of course, a talented crew will still show...But it is ironic that I need more folks, and more experienced folks at that to race my current 30 footer, than I needed to race my previous J/109 to be equally effective (bottom of upper third of class to mid-pack in local phrf racing...)

MidPack

Super Anarchist
undecided
Buy a J 100 and put a sprit on it - killer PHRF boat if you have enough spinnaker inventory -
Already owned a J/100, though wo a sprit (only 1 made?). Very nice boat, but we'd like a sprit boat faster than a J/100 at 30 feet or less - that me and the warden can still easily double hand.