J/88

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
I don't get it. The PHRF rating for the J/88 for the upcoming J/Fest Southwest is 99. That's closer to J/29 speed than J/105 or J/109 speed. Maybe it isn't the cert. rating, and just a placeholder while the rating gets figured?
Update - The 99 is a placeholder while the PHRF cert for PHRF-GB gets filed. I guess we'll know more closer to November 2nd when the race rolls around.

MidPack

Super Anarchist
undecided
Who set the rating for J/Fest Southwest, the dealer had a hand in it maybe? Obviously any boat builder/dealer (not just J) would want a high gift rating as a provisional so the boat has a better than even chance to win early outings. Crews won't have the boat sorted right out of the box anyway.

Imagine if they deliberately set provisional ratings low, it would help kill any design right out of the box. It has happened in the past with some designs/builders. That doesn't benefit anyone. Provisional ratings for all boats should err on the high side within reason IMO initially. Once there's some actual performance results, an accurate can and should be established like any other design. FWIW...

I don't get it. The PHRF rating for the J/88 for the upcoming J/Fest Southwest is 99. That's closer to J/29 speed than J/105 or J/109 speed. Maybe it isn't the cert. rating, and just a placeholder while the rating gets figured?

Last edited by a moderator:

BobJ

Super Anarchist
SOP here in NorCal PHRF. They think anything new with an asso must be an all-carbon ultralight.

They just lowered the rating for the J/80 (OD) from 117 to 111. The J/70 now rates 114 (up from 111). Way to kill new boat sales.

Until it proves itself, I think 99 for the J/88 sounds about right - that's six seconds faster than a J/92 (locally). The ratios for the two boats are very similar.

Imagine if they deliberately set provisional ratings low, it would help kill any design right out of the box. It has happened in the past with some designs/builders. That doesn't benefit anyone. Provisional ratings for all boats should err on the high side within reason IMO.

BoomerangJ

All-I signed up the J/88 this past weekend because i wanted to take advantage of the free t-shirt offer. Yes even as the dealer, and sponsor I have to sign up just like everyone else to take advantage of the freebies!

The offer was that any boat that signed up for J/Fest before 5pm 9/2 they get additional free t-shirts for their crew. Sweet offer! Plus the shirts look cool-I am biased my wife designed them. As any of you know when you get on the regatta network site and sign up it asks for a rating. I suppose I could of just as well put in zero-but some would have thought that was the real rating!!! <_<

Anyway the right thing to do is to go apply to the PHRF of GB and get a cert. Not sure about it. There has been a trend to over 20 years to give new designs an "aggressive" rating. Like the poster above it doesn't help. The J/111 was given a 36 here. Tied with the lowest in the country. Not sure where it settled out elsewhere but I think 42-45? At the time there were PHRF groups that were going as high as 51 for the J/111. All I want is a fair rating. Not favorable, but certainly not one that penalizes the boat. I've been told to campaign and make the case-but I hate that as well. As anyone that has sailed a new design it can sometimes take a year or two just to get the sails right. Lots of shakeout/learning curve to get a new boat up to speed. Handicapped with an aggressive rating doesn't help the PHRF fleet, the boat, and overall causes a backlash against PHRF.

Anyway-don't get too excited about the 99-but I think the boat will plane earlier then a J/105 but probably not as fast upwind. J/105's rate 78 and J/80's rate 120. J/70's rate 114 (I think). J/92 rates 108. As i write this I should have chosen 105!!! :rolleyes:

Anyway we shall see!!! Has anybody rated the J/88 for PHRF yet?

Jambalaya

Super Anarchist
Hamble / Paris
I've not been here for a while ( so only just saw the question asked of me 12 month ago !)

IRC J/88 - if it's 1.039 that will be tough. A J109 with a #3 only rates about 1.01 and that's how I used to sail my boat and it goes upwind well that way and powers up quickly with the big main. J105's these days are around a similar / slightly lower figure. J92S about 0.985

The J/88 looks like a more sporty and modern 92 which is no bad thing, probably with an inshore/near shore only bias though, slight negative for me as if it's inshore/sporty then why not buy something at 20ft.

As for the 2012 question, why did I think J92 was best all round boat of those I've owned / chartered of M20/M24/SB20/J80/J92/J105/J109 ? It was the best all round boat, fun to sail yet still capable of racing offshore (up to 250 miles certainly), in board engine, you could cruise it a bit. It was at a nice price point versus the fun factor.

MidPack

Super Anarchist
undecided
Got to tramp around the J/88 at the NIBS today, what a sweet ride. Thanks to all the info J/Boats has put out and the great pics and reviews on this thread, there were no surprises in seeing it in person. No one does layout/ergonomics better than J/Boats that I know of. I was hoping for a test sail after the close today, but the boat was hemmed in. A lot to think about this winter...

Took a break from the show and went for a ride on Aquidneck (schooner) since the breeze was 15-20 knots. About an hour in on a beat, the foresail split in half, whoops! Fortunately there was plenty of wind to keep the boat moving nicely with three sails.

spartaco

Got to tramp around the J/88 at the NIBS today, what a sweet ride. Thanks to all the info J/Boats has put out and the great pics and reviews on this thread, there were no surprises in seeing it in person. No one does layout/ergonomics better than J/Boats that I know of. I was hoping for a test sail after the close today, but the boat was hemmed in. A lot to think about this winter...

Took a break from the show and went for a ride on Aquidneck (schooner) since the breeze was 15-20 knots. About an hour in on a beat, the foresail split in half, whoops! Fortunately there was plenty of wind to keep the boat moving nicely with three sails.
Good discussion ;-)

MidPack

Super Anarchist
undecided
While at NIBS, I asked a prominent MA J/Boat dealer/owner if he'd heard an actual rating yet. He hadn't, but he suggested it should be around 90. That seems more reasonable than the 78-80 I heard at Annapolis last Fall. But IIRC they told me 6 J/88s have been built, delivering to various cities/countries, so we should have an actual PHRF cert floating around fairly soon. FWIW...

damp_freddie

Super Anarchist
Kabul SC
thanks for the report jarcher

4.5 knots with 8 TWS makes the boat look like a dog ;)

J92S targets show for instance 4.8 knots with 6 TWS....

Apart from Johnson Inc liking drawing new boats, can someone explain to me why the j88 has come into existence when the j92S is a smidgeon bigger and established?

Jarcher , youre speed were not right . We had similar wind ( near 10 knots) and the speed on the instrument were at least 6.5 and sometime higher.

I decided to upload 4 clips unedited to youtube. Not very long , but better than nothing!

Thanks for sharing: It does show the boat off nicely, a bit like a mini j125 IMHO.

I hear youse are Danish, hope this wasn't a spy mission for a new mini Xp ;-)

Whatever, the boat will be very enjoyable for those who bite and typical of J assy's relatively easy to sail.

arr4ws

Super Anarchist
While at NIBS, I asked a prominent MA J/Boat dealer/owner if he'd heard an actual rating yet. He hadn't, but he suggested it should be around 90. That seems more reasonable than the 78-80 I heard at Annapolis last Fall. But IIRC they told me 6 J/88s have been built, delivering to various cities/countries, so we should have an actual PHRF cert floating around fairly soon. FWIW...

Yes 6 boats were delivered. 1 is the demo boat , 2 is in Rochester (great lakes?) , 3 is in England as far as i know.

MidPack

Super Anarchist
undecided
As you know the J/88 will be a little faster overall (+0.5 knots real hull speed) and (semi) plane in less wind. The J/88 has a lower D/L, smidge more WL, lower disp, a higher downwind SA/D and less wetted area it appears. It also has a lifting eye unlike the J/92s, which has appeal for some.

But if that's not what you want, you can save yourself a lot of $ buying a J/92s or a J/92. Not unique to the Johnstone's, same tradeoff between new and used as with every sail boatbuilder or designer...

Apart from Johnson Inc liking drawing new boats, can someone explain to me why the j88 has come into existence when the j92S is a smidgeon bigger and established?

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
thanks for the report jarcher

4.5 knots with 8 TWS makes the boat look like a dog ;)

J92S targets show for instance 4.8 knots with 6 TWS....

>Jarcher , youre speed were not right . We had similar wind ( near 10 knots) and the speed on the instrument were at least 6.5 and sometime higher.

I decided to upload 4 clips unedited to youtube. Not very long , but better than nothing!

Thanks for sharing: It does show the boat off nicely, a bit like a mini j125 IMHO.

I hear youse are Danish, hope this wasn't a spy mission for a new mini Xp ;-)

Whatever, the boat will be very enjoyable for those who bite and typical of J assy's relatively easy to sail.
DF,

J/92s may be established, but hasn't exactly set any sales records, particularly in the states. Not that there is anything wrong with the 92s...I like it a lot. I think they are refreshing yet again, while trying to capitalize on the success/momentum from the J/111 and J/70...

Crash

In the process of setting up an 88 ride next week in Newport before it is delivered to its owner. Will let you know my impressions. Up to this point, it seems like a fine design with great racing potential. I think Peter Gustafsson's review was really excellent and it encouraged me to make a trip to Newport to see the boat for myself.

arr4ws

Super Anarchist
two videos surfaced of j/88 hull 5. 3Di sails.

Schoonerman

Super Anarchist
San Francisco
Nice! Thanks for putting these out there. Looking forward to the breeze-on kite videos..

The 88 looks like the perfect boat for those who need/want more space and convenience than a J70 but can't afford the J111.