J/88

MidPack

Super Anarchist
undecided
MidPack - Being a J/boat guy, I'm sure you've considered this, but other than the extra 4.5' you don't want, it seems the J/105 ticks all the boxes. Not exactly cheap to buy, but operating costs can be pretty reasonable for that size boat. Standing headroom is the only recurring annoyance, but we knew that going in. We've been able to buy very inexpensive used sails for ocean racing and even some used class sails as we work on building our one-design inventory. Despite the Anarchy disdain for the boat (or anything successful...), we are impressed with the boat in many ways. We love our 105

Is it the extra length or something else keeping you away from the 105?
Not out of the question, but we've already owned a J/105 (we liked ours too) along with several other J/Boats. Just intrigued by the thought of a 29-30 foot J/111-J/70 since I can't justify the initial purchase or operating expense of a J/111...

I second midpack's thought. Also, for me an head and inboard are essential too. However, as for the performance ratios (SAD, DLR), I am note sure that JBoats should necessarily push them to be more extreme than those of J92/J92S : J/70 is much faster than a J/22 (40 sec / mile ?) while retaining an almost equal SAD and a slightly lighter DLR

dacapo

Super Anarchist
NY
How would you update a J/92? (Bias warning - I've owned and raced one for nine years.)

It's pre-scrimp so the only way to lighten it up is to carbonize it, but the J/92S with conventional construction cost close to $150,000 and you don't want to pay that much. I suppose you could get rid of the inboard but a lot of people want that in a 30 footer.

Update the foils? They did that in the 92S. Non-overlappers and masthead kite? Ditto.

You guys want a 3,500# 30 footer that rates like a J/105 and costs less than $100,000. Good luck w/that.

You can buy my J/92 from my estate. The boat is damn near perfect.
is it for sale?? we're in the market for a 92..

bloodshot

Super Anarchist
United States
How would you update a J/92? (Bias warning - I've owned and raced one for nine years.)

It's pre-scrimp so the only way to lighten it up is to carbonize it, but the J/92S with conventional construction cost close to $150,000 and you don't want to pay that much. I suppose you could get rid of the inboard but a lot of people want that in a 30 footer.

Update the foils? They did that in the 92S. Non-overlappers and masthead kite? Ditto.

You guys want a 3,500# 30 footer that rates like a J/105 and costs less than $100,000. Good luck w/that.

I assume by from his "estate", he means from "his cold dead hands". :p

BobJ

Super Anarchist
I assume by from his "estate", he means from "his cold dead hands". :p
Yes, which you'll have to pry off the tiller extension. I think about a "cruisier" J now and then, especially one I could stand up in, but the 92 sails so well I quickly come back to my senses. After about 10,000 ocean miles, mostly single-handed, this boat has become an extension of my arms or something.

I realize many on this site favor the ultra-lights with huge sailplans and crews crammed on the back porch downwind so the boat will plane. But I've come back under the Gate at 17 knots with my son asleep down below, hit almost 19 a couple of times surfing down the coast, and won the single-handed season championship (last year) when many of the races had light air. The boat does everything I need it to do.

I think the only reason more 92's weren't sold is they came on the market at the same time as the J/105. Buyers favored the wheel and sit-in cockpit. As I've written elsewhere, I would not trade my 92 even-across for a 105.

One advantage to a lighter 29/30 footer (especially if it had a lift-keel) would be dry-sailing. I was able to dry-sail my 92 for 3-4 years but it required a 3-ton hoist, and self-use yards with those are hard to find.

sailman

Super Anarchist
Portsmouth, RI

Dacapo:

J92

J92S

damp_freddie

Super Anarchist
Kabul SC
sleep it's crew, planing in 16 knts wind , pop in the back garden, maybe a kettle and a shitter ....doesn't need to have carbon actually.

92s for sale with Toronto Broker on Lake Ontario, and quite a few in Europe...

vikram

i own a 92s - race against a 97 and have sailed a dozen times on a melges 20...

launch a melges (or a j70) is a freaking hassle - screw that...no interest

j92s is a nice boat for me and my crew - we suck, race three up a lot, have tons of fun

and the platform is perfect for where we are in learning curve - hard to get into trouble

with that much bow in a blow - then again we rarely see winds above 15 in lis and

probably thats ok with us for now...

I am not sure its faster than a 92 (92 guys don't think it can be in winds below say 12)...

good boat - really fun ...97 is awesome and i would own one if it ticked the boxes -

which it doesnt right now ...

BobJ

Super Anarchist
Since the 97 rates about the same as your 92S, how do they compare in boat speed in various conditions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
There's a 97 on Long Island Sound? I thought the only one in the US is on the Lakes as a cruiser...

Speng

Super Anarchist
Cincinnati, OH
So you need to take a demo ride on a J/70.

You might like it.
Well the J/70 is too small and who knows if it will get critical mass or not. You want larger, critical mass and room for a portable head. What's wrong with the J/80?
I'm thinking about doing a demo sail and I know I'd like the J/70 (loved our J/80), but the warden won't agree to a bucket (or a porta-potti) again and she's been a good sport re: sailing for over 20 years, so there's no way I can buy one...no marine head is a show stopper for her.

Who knows I may end up with a J/92-92s or nothing. I have to believe J/Boats will come out with a faster 29-30 footer, then it will come down to what price point...
Let the "Warden" service the marine shitter/holding tank and see how quick she'll be happy with the porta potti. Unless you use it a lot a marine toilet, holding tank etc are way more trouble than they're worth for a lady piss or two a month. Plus how's that supposed to work with your desire for something lighter and faster than a J-92? J-Boats seem to be going more IRC friendly and at this size hi-po doesn't work. I doubt they'll try something highly performance oriented at this size because those kind of boats don't sell to the regular J clientelle or in general to anyone else. Sailed a J92 a couple years back as part of a pick crew in the Round the Island (of Wight) race and we beat a couple of friends of mine on a J97 handily. Despite the age I think it's a pretty nice boat. Yeah it could be lighter and more sporty but what you can get them for on the used market it's hard to beat. J97 is too 109ish

Jgo

2 J97s were sold by McMichael Yacht Brokers this summer and there will be another one at the Newport Show next week, that I think is J Boats Stock/Demo boat, that just arrived this week.

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
What do you know. Something of a second wind for a boat I always really like. Glad to hear there have been a couple more sold. I hope that trend continues.

vikram

Since the 97 rates about the same as your 92S, how do they compare in boat speed in various conditions?
i am not really qualified to respond ha....92 and 92s hull shape may slow a bit in a chop and maybe 97 less so otherwise...

i dunno looks stiffer overall ...

MidPack

Super Anarchist
undecided
Had a good talk with the J/Boats folks at Annapolis. I'm sworn to secrecy, but what I heard was very encouraging - you'll have to read between the lines from there...

I had a similar conversation with the J folks at the Annapolis Boat Show and they didn't swear me to secrecy. I told them I was looking hard at a J/92S and the J/70 - Very similar thoughts to what started this thread. The answer was that there was something on the drawing board (J/88 or J/93). The boat was described as an updated J/92S and they are hoping for under $100K with OD racing in their mind. They weren't big on details nor did they talk about when to expect it, but I know of at least another guy that had a similar conversation with them. Maybe they were just floating the idea out there to see how people reacted, but I got the distinct impression they are serious.