J/99 anyone have info beyond the teaser?

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
Here are the results from the 2022 UK Doublehanded Offshore Series (IRC). This was the top 4 scores from 6 races. Similar, but different than the RORC results. RORC really favors boats that participate in the Middle Sea Race, Transat, C600, and RB&I (the winning boat in RORC did all 4!) whereas the UKDHOS, most of the boats did at least 4 of the races, so the results are less about participation and more about finish position.

https://www.doublehandedoffshore.com/results

danstanford

Anarchist
Lake Ontario
Here are the results from the 2022 UK Doublehanded Offshore Series (IRC). This was the top 4 scores from 6 races. Similar, but different than the RORC results. RORC really favors boats that participate in the Middle Sea Race, Transat, C600, and RB&I (the winning boat in RORC did all 4!) whereas the UKDHOS, most of the boats did at least 4 of the races, so the results are less about participation and more about finish position.

https://www.doublehandedoffshore.com/results
Handicaps apply in these races I believe, is there an ongoing effort to balance the fleet based on results or is it left to the designers to design to the rule?

Jambalaya

Super Anarchist
Hamble / Paris
I don't think too many owners can have a separate DH vs crewed sail inventory. The dual IRC rating was set up to allow things like not rating the boat for an overlapping headsail for DH.

Also hull shapes that suit DH which are mostly passage races don't suit W/L with or without crew.

Jambalaya

Super Anarchist
Hamble / Paris
I don't think too many owners can have a separate DH vs crewed sail inventory. The dual IRC rating was set up to allow things like not rating the boat for an overlapping headsail for DH.

Also hull shapes that suit DH which are mostly passage races don't suit W/L with or without crew.
It's IRC and whilst they look at results it is basically a "semi fixed" secret formula

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
It's IRC and whilst they look at results it is basically a "semi fixed" secret formula

Semi fixed but also "semi secret" I would say. Certainly good designers and sailmakers can tell you pretty accurately where a certificate will come out (before the infamous fudge factors).

Jambalaya

Super Anarchist
Hamble / Paris
The 99 was designed as a passage racing boat. The 109 for IRC W/L. In my view an equally well sailed 109 should consistently beat 99 W/L

I had a 92 & 105 and I think the 99 is a derivation/development of those. Those boats in my view are particularly good reaching and downwind vs IRC ratings. I also had a 109 and they go upwind better than the rating. If you see a 109 win offshore then it probably means it was predominantly light/medium airs upwind. I hated my 109 and sold it after 6 months as my primary focus was DH passage racing and without crew on rail you can't keep rudder in the water reaching or even downwind in any waves. Looking at the 99 you can see that's going to be a lot of fun with kite up and hull shape / twin rudders mean it's going to be very controllable. For 2023 we hope to be campaigning 105 again but I'd love to get some sailing in on a 99

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
If you see a 109 win offshore then it probably means it was predominantly light/medium airs upwind. I hated my 109 and sold it after 6 months as my primary focus was DH passage racing and without crew on rail you can't keep rudder in the water reaching or even downwind in any waves.

Not sure whether they've done mods to the boat, but the guys on Jago have figured out how to win offshore across a range of conditions.

Blur

Super Anarchist
Sweden
Looking at the 99 you can see that's going to be a lot of fun with kite up and hull shape / twin rudders mean it's going to be very controllable.
I would say that the J/88 & J/111 easily get up on a plane and become controllable and light to steer (when you don't try to push too hard - since there's no stability). The J/105 and J/121 likes to be pushed and stay controllable in most conditions.

The J/99 (I've sailed a couple with a single rudder & bulb keel) is hard to get up on a plane and loads up a lot more than the others. Double rudders would help it stay planted, but not sure you can push it like a JPK.

The design is a hit at club level, but we'll have to see if it can challenge the existing "safe choices" for 600 nm DH racing.

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
Just looked at the 5 J99s in Port Hamble Marina all have single rudder

Makes sense to me as only Jam (the Key works boat) appears to be campaigned 2H offshore with any frequency.
The French one that sometimes plays in RORC races (Axe sail) has twin rudders.

JMOD

Super Anarchist
Netherlands
look at the bigger boats. TP52's, single rudder for coastal and UP/Down races. really long offshore races: double rudder. In light weather, double rudder has more drag both because there are 2 rudders going through the water, and because of the inherent toe in/out settings you need to get right. personally, for most circumstances, i feel the single rudder is the way to go.