J/99 anyone have info beyond the teaser?

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
Jeff J had all that at the boat show.  Again, I'm sure if you call a dealer, they could get you that.  I'm also sure they are holding off on publishing numbers in the open until after hull one gets in the water and they are happy with it.  Then they will finalize and publish.  Otherwise early/prelim info gets out and takes on a life of its own, esp if not exactly accurate to the "production" version...

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
Whoops, I lied!  I found them in Sailing Magazine.

LOA: 32' 8"'

LWL: 28' 8"

Beam: 11' 2"

Draft: 6' 6"

Displ: 8415 lbs

SA: 653 sq. ft.

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
Whoops, I lied!  I found them in Sailing Magazine.

LOA: 32' 8"'

LWL: 28' 8"

Beam: 11' 2"

Draft: 6' 6"

Displ: 8415 lbs

SA: 653 sq. ft.
30cm more LOA than a J/97 but 60cm more waterline - means they have taken out a lot of stern overhang and by extension rocker?

I thought that was a significant factor in the J/97's IRC success.

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
Plus it's nominally 200lbs lighter, yet carries 155 sq. ft. more sail area.  Pretty sure they are aiming at a different target...

captnjoe

NJ
Fat Happy J/100: same length, shorter waterline, but much wider and heavier.  Sounds like a description of the typical owner.  

It’s going to need all that extra sail area.

Fat Happy J100.PNG

Fat Happy J100.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:

J28

Super Anarchist
Looks heavy to me - significantly heavier than a SF 3200, which is lower tech construction (I think....).  I wonder what the ballast weight is?  Also, surprised at the alu mast - is it to keep the price down?  Does the AG+ spar get close the weight of a carbon spar with a glued and screwed external track?  Hard to believe.

In any case, I’m looking forward to pics and more info.

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
Looks heavy to me - significantly heavier than a SF 3200, which is lower tech construction (I think....).  I wonder what the ballast weight is?  Also, surprised at the alu mast - is it to keep the price down?  Does the AG+ spar get close the weight of a carbon spar with a glued and screwed external track?  Hard to believe.
I presume that's more about the IRC 'exotic materials' rig factor penalty than performance.

J28

Super Anarchist
That sounds reasonable.  I know less than zero about technical details of  IRC but I’m interested in the boats that are  designed for short-handed under the rule.  

In any case, I’m looking forward to pics and more info.

I presume that's more about the IRC 'exotic materials' rig factor penalty than performance.
You can order one with a CF mast, just costs much more.  From what I've heard and been told their supplier of reasonably priced CF masts went away when Hall Spars bit the dust.  J/boats is trying to keep the price of the J/99 down and closer in line to a J/88 vs. the 121.  They are shooting for "basic sail away price" of around $200K with a base price of $170K.   Even without CF mast if you really want a well equipped high end boat you're probably closer to $250-275K once you put in high end electronics, full set of racing sails, etc.   I would guess a CF mast would add about 20K if you built it that way.  Even a little over $300K is not too bad for a brand new boat and what looks like a really cool ride.  

Last edited by a moderator:

JL92S

Super Anarchist
UK
It will face huge competition in the UK and Northern France, direct rivals will be the new JPK 1030, the Sunfast 3400, Ofcet 32, MMW 33 and even well set up J109s

JMOD

Super Anarchist
Netherlands
thanks to the 25% fine on the in-tax price due to a trade war that someone started, the J/121 is basically outpriced in Europe. It is the only one of the range not built in the EU, so due for importfine. you can still order it, just the base price is 100k more expensive... The 99 fills a niche for smaller crew racing.so far, prospects are good for this boat.

J28

Super Anarchist
It will face huge competition in the UK and Northern France, direct rivals will be the new JPK 1030, the Sunfast 3400, Ofcet 32, MMW 33 and even well set up J109s
Would the Pogo 30 be a rival also?

JL92S

Super Anarchist
UK
Would the Pogo 30 be a rival also?
Hmm only really in a fast cruising context, there are some irc optimised French boats but they’re not competitive across the full range of conditions. Great fun boats but just rate badly

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
Hmm only really in a fast cruising context, there are some irc optimised French boats but they’re not competitive across the full range of conditions. Great fun boats but just rate badly
Agreed. The Pogo 30 seems to firmly a fun machine, not a race machine.