J105 time share in NY Harbor

Calogero

We are working on establishing a new sailors club in the NY harbor area. please check out our website: www.sailorsnyc.com

I welcome your constructive feedback on J105s. I sailed a few and heard only good things by boat owners. No boat is perfect (or am I wrong?).

re: my initiial request - please contact me: [email protected] Thank you!
So is that it? No response to our numerous suggestions?
What fucking difference does it make to you?
Sock Puppet or Newbie? Either way, fuck off.
I'm new here but I still don't understand what your obsession is with this. Somebody is trying to do something positive for the sailing community and you have to be a dick about it?

RumLine

Anarchist
Western LIS
We are working on establishing a new sailors club in the NY harbor area. please check out our website: www.sailorsnyc.com

I welcome your constructive feedback on J105s. I sailed a few and heard only good things by boat owners. No boat is perfect (or am I wrong?).

I'm new here but I still don't understand what your obsession is with this. Somebody is trying to do something positive for the sailing community and you have to be a dick about it?
Great, welcome...now show us some pics of your GF or Wifes sweater cows or STFU.

Was anything I said incorrect? Would you want to be held liable for some hack "sailor" losing their fingers in a winch? Do you think it's plausible that anyone would actually want to donate their boat when they can't even be sure who is going to be using it?

I'm all for promoting the sport in any way possible, but this kind of thing is dangerous. In order to make this program work it has to be legitimate, either with a significant cash donation, or some sort of membership program. Before you have any cash flow you need to determine how it's structured, is it an NPO? Or are you running a business? Additionally, it needs to be protected legally and insured properly. There is going to be maintenance involved and likely some sort of supervision, which will require a staff that is paid and in some circumstances certified or licensed.

Then there's the question of the boat...is the J/105 really the best choice? In my opinion, it's the worst choice you could make. While it's easy to sail, it's also a wetsailed keel boat which immediately increases your operating budget. Look at most community programs, they all use trailerable boats that can be easily maintained and have an abundance of parts and used equipment. As for safety, the loads on a J/105 are enough for people to get seriously injured or killed by making simple stupid mistakes.

And what happens to our sport when this program makes the front page of the NY Post with a gruesome picture of a finance hack with a cocktail in one hand and 3 missing fingers and blood dripping down his arm with the byline "What do you do with a drunken sailor?" Do you think that will make timid parents enroll their children in legitimate learn to sail programs?

Call me an asshole, a dick, whatever...but I'm making a reasonable point. It's very easy to come up with an idea and say you want to start this grand program, but it takes a lot of cash and time to actually make it happen.

You want some tips from the people who have done it? Talk to the people at Oakcliff Sailing Center.

Sailors NYC

NYC
Sorry for being MIA for such a long time. I guess I just didn't know how hot my discussion can get... Please check out the Indiegogo campaign (startup fundraising) video: http://igg.me/p/292144/x/1823304

As much as I am ammused by your disconstructive feedback, I'd like to focus on the constructive one. Please see my replies to the diferent anarchists that had commented here. cheers :)

Sailors NYC

NYC
Looking for J105 boat owners in the NY Harbor area who may be interested in getting all their expenses including: insurance, maintenance and repairs and docking fees in return to time share rights for a new sailors club starting Spring 2013.
How about posting some actual information on your "sailing club" or giving us some idea of how you plan to replace the sails once you destroy them.

Give us some info and maybe we'll play nice, until then...fuck off.
Any ideas? (re: "how to replace sails once you destroy them?" The fuck off I can figure out all by myself :))

Cheers!
My guess is you're going to want to build some very large cash reserve accounts, which can only be generated by a large membership with small dues or small membership with large dues. You're going to want to get in touch with local sail lofts for repairs and start searching around for used sails that can be put on for your least talented sailors. You're going to need to hire some sort of staff to maintain these boats and keep track of everything going on...they're going to want to get paid market rates, don't go cheap on this one because you'll get what you pay for.

Based on your website, you're really trying to attract anyone who has ever heard of sailing before. I'm seeing images of yuppies young and old strapped to the mast of a J/105 while "sailing" around NY Harbor. All of this leads me to my next suggestion, get a really big insurance policy...I mean HUGE. Make sure your entity is structured in a way that completely protects you from liability, and even after that you should get some sort of policy for yourself. How do you pay for this? More dues...

Also, you might want to update your website a little. It comes off as very cheesy. Maybe I'm cynical, and maybe you came to SA to get some criticism...but I got douche chills.

For those Anarchists who have yet to visit the website, DON'T. It's really really gay...I mean you might want to go get tested after seeing it because you're probably HIV positive.

What_About_Bob__001.jpg

You are funny :)

I am happy to say that most of the issues you pointed out had been taken under consideration. Sailing is a sport, a hobby, a culture and a way of life. therefore - it is not limited to extremely experienced sailors. also - define experienced sailor? are loosing-fingers-accidents common only among inexperienced sailors? don't gays and yuppies have the right to sail as well? I think you get my point. my main objectives are to give NYC sailors an opportunity to enjoy their hobby AND introduce newbees to this lifestyle. I don't think this is a bad thing, and one should not be too snob about sailing.

Sailors NYC

NYC

Thanks for your support! as one newbe to another - I guess we need to get used to these rough sailors :)

however - would appreciate it if you consider supporting this venture financially and/or help spreading the word about it by checking out and posting a link to my indiesgogo campaign: http://igg.me/p/292144/x/1823304

SailRacer

Super Anarchist
Sailing is for snobs

Good luck with your endeavour, hope you get lots of people to sign up.

Sail safe, partly by watching out for heavy metal in the hudson.

RumLine

Anarchist
Western LIS
Looking for J105 boat owners in the NY Harbor area who may be interested in getting all their expenses including: insurance, maintenance and repairs and docking fees in return to time share rights for a new sailors club starting Spring 2013.
How about posting some actual information on your "sailing club" or giving us some idea of how you plan to replace the sails once you destroy them.

Give us some info and maybe we'll play nice, until then...fuck off.
Any ideas? (re: "how to replace sails once you destroy them?" The fuck off I can figure out all by myself :))

Cheers!
My guess is you're going to want to build some very large cash reserve accounts, which can only be generated by a large membership with small dues or small membership with large dues. You're going to want to get in touch with local sail lofts for repairs and start searching around for used sails that can be put on for your least talented sailors. You're going to need to hire some sort of staff to maintain these boats and keep track of everything going on...they're going to want to get paid market rates, don't go cheap on this one because you'll get what you pay for.

Based on your website, you're really trying to attract anyone who has ever heard of sailing before. I'm seeing images of yuppies young and old strapped to the mast of a J/105 while "sailing" around NY Harbor. All of this leads me to my next suggestion, get a really big insurance policy...I mean HUGE. Make sure your entity is structured in a way that completely protects you from liability, and even after that you should get some sort of policy for yourself. How do you pay for this? More dues...

Also, you might want to update your website a little. It comes off as very cheesy. Maybe I'm cynical, and maybe you came to SA to get some criticism...but I got douche chills.

For those Anarchists who have yet to visit the website, DON'T. It's really really gay...I mean you might want to go get tested after seeing it because you're probably HIV positive.

What_About_Bob__001.jpg

You are funny :)

I am happy to say that most of the issues you pointed out had been taken under consideration. Sailing is a sport, a hobby, a culture and a way of life. therefore - it is not limited to extremely experienced sailors. also - define experienced sailor? are loosing-fingers-accidents common only among inexperienced sailors? don't gays and yuppies have the right to sail as well? I think you get my point. my main objectives are to give NYC sailors an opportunity to enjoy their hobby AND introduce newbees to this lifestyle. I don't think this is a bad thing, and one should not be too snob about sailing.
Can't wait for you to sink your first boat in NY Harbor like these people.

Hate to do this, but Scuttlebutt has nice pictures of the event.

http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/news/11/0715/

See what they have there? Really nice support boats w/ staff.

Sailors NYC

NYC
"these people" are def not "my people".

I wanna think I know better...

I actually went to oakcliff and am in touch with them for a while now. I agree there's a lot to learn from them. I have some great sailors who are supporting this venture. Wanna come on board?

left hook

Super Anarchist
It should tell you something that the anarchist plugging your bad idea in that video isn't willing to speak up here in defense of it.

Sailors NYC

NYC
It should tell you something that the anarchist plugging your bad idea in that video isn't willing to speak up here in defense of it.
Not sure I understand... I'm the anarchist and the speaker :)
Nope, you interviewed one of us in your video and he has yet to show up and cheerlead for your poorly funded idea.
Well - since there are only two of them.... I think he'll show-up pretty soon :) cheers!

Latest posts