J22... The good, bad and the ugly... let's do some shopping!

Rumbulls

Super Anarchist
Boyne City
I searched in hopes to hijack a 'buying guide thread, however i quit after 5 minutes.

In looking at the J22 market in the Midwest... the selling prices seem to be the same whether the boat was built in the 90's or early 80's. My budget is less than 10k.

Questions;

Are there any years to stay away from? or better years to look for?

With an average maintained J22, how long until the bulkheads leak and where are the leaking points?

I have noticed stress cracks around the deckstep.... Normal or redflag?

Bulkhead repair jobs.... Help me identify the hackjobs.

Thanks for help!

Flame on!

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
The 22 fleet locally has taken off the past year and range from double digit sn's to one boat about 2 years old. Don't know of any particular issues but will check this week as will see most of the owners (one of whom is the best boat repair guy in addition to one of the best sailors). Tom Meeh, Waterline Works in Seabrook, TX, he's expensive and he's worth it.

Stress cracks are bad regardless of where they are and since the mast is deck stepped I would say not good or normal. For the record don't own one but have crewed on several for some years. Not the fastest or anything hi tech but great bang for the buck and if you sail with 3 (most do) everybody has something to do all the time.

Prices depend on how well maintained - several double digit sn's here are very competitive more so than a couple of new boats - if in doubt I would pay someone in the fiberglass biz to inspect it. my $.02

Will

most mast steps cracks can be attributed to the old flat mast step. As the sailmakers kept adding forestay length to the tuning guides it added stress to the mast step. The class took care of this by approving an angled mast step. I have never come across a boat with issues at the mast step.

Chain plates are a possible problem area, but not on all boats. If an owner takes care and seals the chain plates each year, you may never have to replace the bulkhead. My first boat (838, 1988) is still going strong with the original bulkheads. My current boat (1552, 2004) had to have core replaced at the chainplates after water got in and rotted the core in the deck, however the bulkhead was fine.

Remember, there is nothing you cannot fix on a J/22, they are super simple. No plumbing, no electronics, no engine....

As Will stated easy fixes and solid builds. Currently sailing 121 which was an original year boat 1983, she is ugly but fast. Just replaced the forward bulkhead last year and did some chainplate core work, easy and fast.

If interested I have 884 (1988, a good year) in my barn. Solid boat, needs some prettying up as former owner (only owner prior to me) had some one use a paint brush on her to cover some dock rash. All original boat that I think will be a rocket. Don't need two boats though.

Rumbulls

Super Anarchist
Boyne City
most mast steps cracks can be attributed to the old flat mast step. As the sailmakers kept adding forestay length to the tuning guides it added stress to the mast step. The class took care of this by approving an angled mast step. I have never come across a boat with issues at the mast step.

Chain plates are a possible problem area, but not on all boats. If an owner takes care and seals the chain plates each year, you may never have to replace the bulkhead. My first boat (838, 1988) is still going strong with the original bulkheads. My current boat (1552, 2004) had to have core replaced at the chainplates after water got in and rotted the core in the deck, however the bulkhead was fine.

Remember, there is nothing you cannot fix on a J/22, they are super simple. No plumbing, no electronics, no engine....
Good reply, thanks!

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
Several boats in the 800's here and very competitive. 36 in central TX and 53 here also top boats. Most here are in fact below 1000. At some point the big expense is having the keel faired if not already done to be competitive. 884 sounds like a good boat.

Will

Is there a way to tell if your keel has been redone?....
Not 100%, but if it looks pretty, someone probably spent considerable time on it. Do you know if your boat has a measurement certificate? Most that do, spent the time to work on the foils. That being said, there are a ton of J/22's out there that have spent their lives as cottage boats and have never been measured.

Gouvernail

Lottsa people don’t know I’m famous
Austin Texas
Is there a way to tell if your keel has been redone?....
Look at the upper left hand corner of the transom. If the biat has a silver oval sticker about an inch high and an inch wide the keel shape and location is as fast as they can be. It may need to be repaired, and polished or even a fresh coating but that sticker says, "At some time, the best shop in the world did the keel."

Otherwise

Go to the class website, read the rules, and make yourself a set of measuring templates.

[ not the foil shapes!! Just the front and back locator jigs an the thickness and length jigs)

For a couple uses just to generally check the boat you can make decent templates with 1/4 inch foam board with paper on both sides from most any arts and craft store

Get a metric tape measure and spend an hour or two carefully cutting the two locator jigs

As for the length and width measurement tools,,, get some. Ice wood trim moldings from your Hone Depot / Lowes/ or local version of a lumber store

Get 14 cheap tiny c clamps

Make the length jig by clamping legs on a long piece of trim

Make each of the two width jigs with two long sticks, two cross sticks, and four c clamps

If you need to measure a Kern while it sits on a trailer, in clamp one end and slide it on

If you are considering investing a few grand in a boat, take a half hour and measure the keel

If it is tough to tell whether the boat is legal, somebody has tried to do a fairing job

Last edited by a moderator:

Rumbulls

Super Anarchist
Boyne City
Followup.... I bought Hull #675. The seller contacted me as he saw this thread.

Picked her up last Saturday, dunked it Sunday and raced....
14732178_10207272267990004_7526475260082635517_n.jpg

Yes, it's the one with the bumper! We have 6 racing in Round lake in Charlevoix til the Cranberry cup at the end of November. If you have a 22, come up and have some fun! We race 1pm every sunday, sun or snow!

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
Congrats! Boat looks in great shape, hope you have as much bang for the buck as we do down here.

Latest posts