j22 trailer dimension needed

Good Day to the J22 world. 

I have recently purchased J22 hull 283 from a very nice older coupled that did not how to sail her. 

Part of the deal with the purchase is that I have 3 months to move the boat out of the slip. I didn't think this was a big deal until I went to find a slip locally and realized, there is nothing in my area. Put my name on a couple of waiting list, but nothing yet and my time is running out. 

I am pretty handy and have built trailers in the past, so I figure this is my next best option... as long as I can get some help on the dimensions for it. 

The boat trailer part seems pretty easy, it is the placement of the bunks compared to the boat is what I am looking for. 

and how far apart are they? 

Overall length of the trailer would be good too. 

Can someone please send me a crude sketch or pics with measurements please!!!

Thanks in advance, and happy sailing!

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
I would check for used ones before building - single axle with a pad for the keel.  With adjustable pads (or rollers) it doesn't have to be j22 specific.

Also, post this in the J boat forum.  If nobody else responds I will get some measurements this weekend.

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
Here’s what I have to offer. 3 stanchion bases, onset in line with the forward cabin top, another at the main companionway bulkhead and the aft set at the end of the trailer, where the cockpit aft bridge deck is located.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
Good luck with the project!

1AE7114E-67A9-4229-8B65-40B41C081856.jpeg

784E1F88-4CF6-4897-BC73-CECDC1211145.jpeg

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
You don’t have to use those  adjustable bases and can just use a long 2x6 covered with indoor outdoor carpeting if you are going to buy galvanized adjustable leg bases. I’ll take a pic of what I mean when I get back to my yard. Readily available parts at a trailer supply store cheap.

I have tried to purchase one in my area but no real luck. 22 footers are not known common in my neck of the woods.  Thank you for the pics. That helps out a lot for knowing the area. The height adjustment I think is something I will need so I was planning on doing the scaffolding pads like yours. 

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
I delivered that boat to MI last month, but there is another one in the neighborhood. I’ll see if I can measure the bases tomorrow. They look like 24” forward, 18” mid and 24”aft with adjustable pads.

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
They can handle the salty air along the coastlines for sure!

The J/22 went to Muskegon Michigan and the new owner was amazed at the surface rust. They don’t have that problem in the Lakes. They also have less than a hundred boats for sale out there, so they’re stuck looking to the coasts for inventory. That’s a first!

JohnMB

Super Anarchist
Evanston
Can you tell me what tools I need to prepare when lifting a boat out of a trailer?
Probably not without more information.

Start with what type of boat, and why you are lifting it, what is the lifting gear.

Big difference between hoisting a fully rigged drysailed keelboat with single point lift in and out for a days sailing, and an unrigged cruiser that needs a slings and a travel-lift from winter storage at the start of year.

Last edited by a moderator:

jesposito

Super Anarchist
Good Day to the J22 world. 

I have recently purchased J22 hull 283 from a very nice older coupled that did not how to sail her. 

Part of the deal with the purchase is that I have 3 months to move the boat out of the slip. I didn't think this was a big deal until I went to find a slip locally and realized, there is nothing in my area. Put my name on a couple of waiting list, but nothing yet and my time is running out. 

I am pretty handy and have built trailers in the past, so I figure this is my next best option... as long as I can get some help on the dimensions for it. 

The boat trailer part seems pretty easy, it is the placement of the bunks compared to the boat is what I am looking for. 

and how far apart are they? 

Overall length of the trailer would be good too. 

Can someone please send me a crude sketch or pics with measurements please!!!

Thanks in advance, and happy sailing!
Call Triad Trailers in NC

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
Probably not without more information.

Start with what type of boat, and why you are lifting it, what is the lifting gear.

Big difference between hoisting a fully rigged drysailed keelboat with single point lift in and out for a days sailing, and an unrigged cruiser that needs a slings and a travel-lift from winter storage at the start of year.
Having been helping lift a J80 out the water and the strap broke before the keel cleared the water (not my boat or equipment) the minimum is strap/pad eye shackle etc rated for at least 2x the boat weight.  And regular inspections.  The cost of going better is nothing compared to what can happen if something breaks.

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
I was lucky to find one in my back yard.

Mine is one of the orginals from 1983. 

Love sailing it, but need to move it. 

Thanks for the help! 
Did you get what you needed on measurements?  We have six J22s here and I could measure a trailer for you along with some pictures.

Did you get what you needed on measurements?  We have six J22s here and I could measure a trailer for you along with some pictures.
I did not exact measurements. And thought I had enough to go on, but it turns out I don't because of the different lengths of the trailers. 

If you could get me the width of the trailer and how long from the axle to winch or tongue thst would help. Along with the height of the pads and any angles involved. 

Thanks! 

Kane Holland

As far as I know One precaution to consider before and when lifting a boat to a trailer is to periodically inspect your boat and trailer to make lifting or towing more manageable and safe. Only perform lifting your boat from a trailer when you are capable of doing so.