Jacking Off your boat all the way around the course isn't racing.

Grrr...

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰ 100%
Detroit
Seriously.  World sailing.... this is racing?  Fuck me.  Is allowing the constant kinetics their attempt to make the sport more 'physical'?

Might as well give them oars.

Last edited by a moderator:

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
From the 470 Class Rules:

Section C – Conditions for Racing

C.1 GENERAL C.1.1 RULES (a) The following RRS 2017-2020 rules shall apply as amended below: (1) If the average wind speed is clearly over 8 knots across the course the race committee may signal in accordance with RRS Appendix P5 that pumping, rocking and ooching are permitted. This changes rules RRS 42.2(a), RRS 42.2(b), RRS 42.2(c).
They are hardly unique in allowing that. So do Stars, the RSx boards, Finns, and a few others besides.

sailhmb

half moon bay
This is wrong.  Not dinghy sailing.  They can race without me.  I will not watch or support these events.  I will not teach this to students.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
This is wrong.  Not dinghy sailing.  They can race without me.  I will not watch or support these events.  I will not teach this to students.
If you don't teach it to student sailors/racers these days, your kids are like lambs being led to slaughter.

The answer is to figure out how to make boats that SAIL faster in light air than they can be rocked & pumped. That means a lot more horsepower that then needs to be shucked off when the wind picks up.

I don't particularly care for it, but the best way to put a damper on it is to be the fastest rock/pumper. That way when antehr team does it, you pass them with a smile, they complain you're cheating, you say "No, I only started after you did."

It does add a big physical fitness component

FB- Doug

Finns and Stars only do it downwind & over 10 knots. Opens up a different approach rather than constantly gybing or just sitting on the rail, fitter and more motivated sailors can make up places downwind. Oscar flag is fun because you aren't counting wave periods and you're working hard, going fast. At about 16-18kts it doesn't matter anymore and most people stop pumping.

Plumber

Anarchist
East
Classes have started allowing it.  Think it started with windsurfing then the Finn, Star now 470.  
Not allowed in Star class events. Pumping shows up in the Star Sailors League events only which are outside the scope of the Star Class.

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
why wouldn't you teach your students something that is IN THE CLASS RULES? It clearly IS dinghy sailing, given that these teams were on the whole competing for places on their Olympic teams. You may not like how it looks, but at least in these classes sailing skill and physical fitness are equally important in order to fully utilize the boat within the rules.

Diarmuid

Super Anarchist
Laramie, WY, USA
Heh. Reminds me of the moment 'flick' fencing took over from classical style. Technically it was outside foil rules because point-in-line, threatening target, etc. But once everyone started doing it the governing body just sort of said "Okay. Whatevs."  And those of us who hadn't been trained that way got f'ing slaughtered on the strip. :lol:

156777-5124-a3k6w-a.jpg

KC375

Super Anarchist
Northern Hemisphere
Classes have started allowing it.  Think it started with windsurfing then the Finn, Star now 470.  
You don't give Lasers enough credit.

Twenty years ago I watched multiple "high performance" youth coaches instructing their athletes to do it right up to the limit that umps would call it...the key skill being keeping the motion just below the most noticeable boats. Similar behavior in the masters...that’s when I gave up on Lasers. I won’t name names to protect the virtuous – I competed in a Laser Masters event in Florida with an older Olympic medalist from another class (call him OM). He was of the Elvestrom school – if you win while loosing the respect of your fellow competitors you’ve won nothing. From the second half of the fleet (reflecting my skill rather than whether or not I was rocking the boat) I had a pretty good view of the leaders who were rocking along just to the point it was not too blatant that it was not natural wave motion...except for the comparison to OM whose mast was moving much less. OM was still a contender although he was really only out for the fresh air and exercise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Athene

Aus
Why is this now an issue? Rule 42 has been deleted in the 470 over 8 knots since 2009 and above 10 knots since 2003..........

yairsuari

Israel
Bunch of aristocrats.

If its something every kid on an optimist wants to do, why trying to block it?

Pumping is part of sailing.

Also, think about running versus walking contests, which would you want to look like? the ones that never knows if they were DSQ?

KC375

Super Anarchist
Northern Hemisphere
Bunch of aristocrats.

If its something every kid on an optimist wants to do, why trying to block it?

Pumping is part of sailing.

Also, think about running versus walking contests, which would you want to look like? the ones that never knows if they were DSQ?
No objection where legal. No desire to compete where illegal but generally used. Greatly offended by youth coaches who teach their kids to cheat but not get caught. If I went back to dinghies I'd probably prefer a class without rule 42 - I've got nothing against athleticism and I’m happy to lose to those better than me (there are a lot) but not to those who cheat better than me (as I don’t).

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
Heh. Reminds me of the moment 'flick' fencing took over from classical style. Technically it was outside foil rules because point-in-line, threatening target, etc. But once everyone started doing it the governing body just sort of said "Okay. Whatevs."  And those of us who hadn't been trained that way got f'ing slaughtered on the strip. :lol:

Foils had too many rules anyway. I preferred epee.

FKT