James Webb telescope

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
The development of this was on this past week. Hard to even comprehend the hours and engineering that have gone into this.  I look forward to looking back to the beginning of time or the universe or something.

So that reminds me of a favorite line and personal philosophy of life. James Webb not included.

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA
This short vid shows a model of the JWST and discusses the role of the heat shields and the telescope's position in space.  Also a rather nice NASA redhead!

Grande Mastere Dreade

Snag's spellchecker
5ad54f1ecb6d3bca5a3f28e48af513e1.jpg

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
Somethings I didn't realize - the shield is the size of a tennis court, it will be 6 months before everything is done and working. It will be a million miles from earth so no do-overs and hoping for the best.

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA
Somethings I didn't realize - the shield is the size of a tennis court, it will be 6 months before everything is done and working. It will be a million miles from earth so no do-overs and hoping for the best.
And there's only enough fuel on board for 10 years of manoeuvering, so after that she'll be dead, Jim.

Bus Driver

Cunning Linguist
We took a walk this afternoon and swung by the Mueller Building, where the Space Telescope Science Institute is based.  They are still celebrating.

A few friends are engineers on it and Hubble.  They may not sober up for a month.

Bravo on a great job.