James Webb telescope

See Level

Working to overcome my inner peace
Nope, not going to this nebula

Screenshot_20220722-161850.png

LeoV

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
The world’s most powerful telescope has made its first observations of a planet beyond our solar system, heralding in a new era of astronomy in which distant worlds can be scanned for signs of life.

The observations, from Nasa’s James Webb Space Telescope, give new insights into the formation of the planet, a hot gas giant called Wasp-39bthat is 700 light years away in the Virgo constellation. They also provide the first clearcut evidence for carbon dioxide in the atmosphere of a planet orbiting a distant star.

Woot.

MaxHeadroom

Super Anarchist
1661962304281.png

It sounds like a “Star Wars” sequel, but a new image from the James Webb Space Telescope is more amazing than any fantasy. Behold, the Phantom Galaxy, also known as M74, is located 2 million light-years from Earth in the constellation Pisces. Webb captured delicate filaments of gas and dust in the spiraling arms of the galaxy and a clear view of the star cluster in the galaxy's nuclear region.
Scientists and researchers are using the image from Webb's Mid-InfraRed Instrument to learn more about how stars formed in this area of the universe.
Credit: ESA/Webb, NASA & CSA, J. Lee and the PHANGS-JWST Team. Acknowledgement: J. Schmidt. Learn more about Webb here: https://to.pbs.org/3nV7upx

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Maybe it is upthread somewhere but here's a Q:

If everything including 'us' began in a singularity when the Big Bang happened and the universal expansion started then which direction do they look, to see the beginning of time?

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Maybe it is upthread somewhere but here's a Q:

If everything including 'us' began in a singularity when the Big Bang happened and the universal expansion started then which direction do they look, to see the beginning of time?
That is a common misunderstanding. There was no infinitesimal point - yes, it was a singularity. or infinitely dense - but that singularity could also have been infinite. We can only see our region of space, which when time began (the end of the singularity) was ~14 billion light years across. There is no evidence it was bigger, but it could have been, but it also could have been infinitely small. All we reckon is that there was a singularity, then a period of "inflation" where space increased in overall size FTL, but now, at least in local space, is no longer increasing in size that fast, but it is still increasing.

Remodel

Super Anarchist
None
That is a common misunderstanding. There was no infinitesimal point - yes, it was a singularity. or infinitely dense - but that singularity could also have been infinite. We can only see our region of space, which when time began (the end of the singularity) was ~14 billion light years across. There is no evidence it was bigger, but it could have been, but it also could have been infinitely small. All we reckon is that there was a singularity, then a period of "inflation" where space increased in overall size FTL, but now, at least in local space, is no longer increasing in size that fast, but it is still increasing.
I've never been able to wrap my head around the concept of inflation. If nothing can travel faster than light, how was inflation possible?

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
I've never been able to wrap my head around the concept of inflation. If nothing can travel faster than light, how was inflation possible?
Nothing can, nothing was traveling through the space, the space was getting bigger. I know, non of this makes intuitive sense.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Think of it like this.

1664552562263.png

I've long felt that it is not possible to understand these concepts in physical terms. The only people who seem able to grasp them think in mathematics.