James Wharram - A Giant Has Fallen

maldonmud

2013 photo taken in Cornwall watching the foiling Little Americas Cup catamarans return after racing.  Happier times. RIP

20130922_151459.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought his wonderful design book, with the descriptions of all the boats, and all the hand drawings of them.  Other people's boat drawings are very precise and clinical.  His were much more, most of them featuring people lounging around on the boats. And I read the story of his original voyage that started it all -- probably like a lot of people here.  I just found the design book in my garage a few weeks ago, and it was still just as fascinating as when I first read it 30 years ago.   

Like a lot of others have mentioned in various forum discussions the Tiki 21 was my favorite.   Not much bigger than the big beach-cats of the era, but so much more practical for gunkholing.   Here's one I fond on the web. 

We need LOTS more pictures of his boats, people! 

R.5fef5bb41a2bd351c21bde8f45c81268

Anomaly2

Anarchist
Rhode Island
Zonker let me know about this thread-- I posted the following over on Cruising Anarchy:

James Wharram has passed. Hanneke Boon has written a lovely obituary, here:

https://www.wharram.com/news/2021/a-living-legend-lives-no-more?fbclid=IwAR2FB04XhUnaRKFVHYWutmeyCyz-wnjaYhF3zwZ4k4W3GQeEzj8VBQ_7ilM

Several years ago, I spent about two months living just up the road from Wharram's place in Cornwall. Every morning I would walk down to help with the building of the prototype of the "Amatasi" design. I got to know James during daily chats over a "cuppa" at break times. He was a wonderful person, very generous, very humble, and keenly interested in the world. Thanks for launching so many dreams James.

After hearing the news, I was going through some old photos and found one of James and I outside the shop. And another of taking a break from building to go sailing on the smaller "Wayfarer" on the tidal river behind the shop.

WithJamesWharram.jpg

SailingTheCatInCornwall (2).jpg

tane

Anarchist
(didn't want to flood the thresd with our old pics, but see as nobody else posted pics...)

randii

Sacramento area
(didn't want to flood the thresd with our old pics, but see as nobody else posted pics...)
Flood away... JW lived a long life of adventure and inspired many of us along the way. It would be difficult to overstate the minds and doors he opened on his way.

Thanks for sharing the memories!

Max Rockatansky

holy fuckfarts!
I bought his wonderful design book, with the descriptions of all the boats, and all the hand drawings of them.  Other people's boat drawings are very precise and clinical.  His were much more, most of them featuring people lounging around on the boats. And I read the story of his original voyage that started it all -- probably like a lot of people here.  I just found the design book in my garage a few weeks ago, and it was still just as fascinating as when I first read it 30 years ago.   

Like a lot of others have mentioned in various forum discussions the Tiki 21 was my favorite.   Not much bigger than the big beach-cats of the era, but so much more practical for gunkholing.   Here's one I fond on the web. 

We need LOTS more pictures of his boats, people! 

Where did you get this picture? This is my ex-boat!

Latest posts