Jeanne Socrates - nonstop solo RTW 2018

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
Oct 3, 2018 departure? (Says homepage of her site, I just noticed: that’s tomorrow!  Only quickly glanced at her blog, but sounds like still trying to sort a few things out, and getting stuff shipped from US to Canada is delaying things.)

Blog:  https://svnereida.com/blog

Goodspeed!  (I’m no god believer, except Neptune and Lady Luck, and maybe a few more :) ).  For a 70-something year old, she doesn’t not give up easily, that’s for sure!

Last edited by a moderator:

valis

Super Anarchist
Friday Harbor, WA
Jeanne had originally planned to leave on Oct 1.  When I looked at the WX a week ago, I thought that she would want to wait until Oct 3 or 4 in order to be able to get out the Strait and into the Pacific.  So tomorrow might be OK, although she's going to still have very light winds in the Strait and then some dead air off Cape Flattery.  Friday she gets some strong wind, but won't be able to get much south in it.  She can probably get offshore though, and on on Saturday she should see some north wind.  I hope she can avoid the gale conditions that will be moving south from the Oregon border towards Eureka and San Francisco.  Perhaps she will be far enough offshore to avoid the worst of that.

ProaSailor

dreaming my life away...
Oregon
Friday she gets some strong wind, but won't be able to get much south in it.  She can probably get offshore though, and on on Saturday she should see some north wind.  I hope she can avoid the gale conditions that will be moving south from the Oregon border towards Eureka and San Francisco.  Perhaps she will be far enough offshore to avoid the worst of that.
I know she's used to the southern ocean but...  Wave forecast looks grim on Friday and Tuesday without much relief in between:

https://www.windy.com/-Waves-waves?waves,2018-10-10-00,45.813,-122.563,5,m:eXQacAd

Windy1003a.jpg

Windy1003b.jpg

Ishmael

Granfallooner
Fuctifino
Not a really pleasant time to be leaving. It was a raw cold in Victoria today. 22 knots out by Carmanah but it's a good push. We'll hope for more clement weather soon.

valis

Super Anarchist
Friday Harbor, WA
She's about halfway out the Strait, with decent wind and light currents.  But the wind is dropping (exactly when and where depends on which forecast model we look at), and she hits really light air by the time she reaches the Pacific.  She's not going to be going much of anywhere tomorrow, and then there's a low-pressure system moving in on Friday.  I don't think she will be able to get on the good side of it.  Her best bet may be to punch WNW into the low, and then by Friday midnight the low will have moved inland and she can ride the NE edge of the low and get south.  But the Friday mid-day wind, while it will be coming from her stern, will be pretty nasty.  36 kts according to NAM5km.  Other models are less-focused and not as strong, but still unpleasant.  The waves are also pretty confused in that region, but this would avoid the worst of the wave height.

Jeanne just checked into the 0300Z Pacific Seafarers Net (ham radio, 14.300 MHz).  I couldn't hear her from my NorCal location, but the net control operator was just able to get her report.

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
She's about halfway out the Strait, with decent wind and light currents.  But the wind is dropping (exactly when and where depends on which forecast model we look at), and she hits really light air by the time she reaches the Pacific.  She's not going to be going much of anywhere tomorrow, and then there's a low-pressure system moving in on Friday.  I don't think she will be able to get on the good side of it.  Her best bet may be to punch WNW into the low, and then by Friday midnight the low will have moved inland and she can ride the NE edge of the low and get south.  But the Friday mid-day wind, while it will be coming from her stern, will be pretty nasty.  36 kts according to NAM5km.  Other models are less-focused and not as strong, but still unpleasant.  The waves are also pretty confused in that region, but this would avoid the worst of the wave height.

Jeanne just checked into the 0300Z Pacific Seafarers Net (ham radio, 14.300 MHz).  I couldn't hear her from my NorCal location, but the net control operator was just able to get her report.
Thabks for the analysis, which I may actually understand one day :). Learning...

Reminds me I’ve got to get my radio and tuner and antenna set up at home...

valis

Super Anarchist
Friday Harbor, WA

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD

Valis... when I head offshore, I'm setting you up as my wx router.

ProaSailor

dreaming my life away...
Oregon
BTW, what are you using to get those images/tnat info?
Windy.com is the best user interface presentation of weather data I have ever seen.

1. Choose a data "layer" from the right sidebar (see "more layers") - default is "Wind" but I find "Wind gusts" to be useful too, along with "Waves".
  2. Click the "play" button at bottom left or click a day/time along the bottom.
  3. Pan and zoom by dragging the mouse, click anywhere for a pop-up showing data value at that location.

Brilliant!

valis

Super Anarchist
Friday Harbor, WA
Here's what I wrote on Jeanne's facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/jeanne.socrates)

Jeannie has made it out through the Strait and is into the Pacific. 
Three hours ago she was sailing southwest at 5.5 kts. As expected, her AIS signal is no longer being picked up by marinetraffic.com, so until we can figure out where to find her tracker we will have to rely on her daily radio position reports and occasional AIS satellite intercepts. 
She still has decent wind, but that's going to go very light, and then a nasty low-pressure system will move through her position. It's going to be a tough couple of days (and bumpy, with fairly large and steep seas) and then she gets some good winds for getting south.

Here's her last AIS position, about three hours old now:

10-04-18 1300Z position.jpg

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
Windy.com is the best user interface presentation of weather data I have ever seen.

1. Choose a data "layer" from the right sidebar (see "more layers") - default is "Wind" but I find "Wind gusts" to be useful too, along with "Waves".
  2. Click the "play" button at bottom left or click a day/time along the bottom.
  3. Pan and zoom by dragging the mouse, click anywhere for a pop-up showing data value at that location.

Brilliant!
Thanks.  I plan to start Starpath Navigation’s online wx course some time this winter, when I have more time (which never seems to materialize...funny thing, free time... :) )

ProaSailor

dreaming my life away...
Oregon
As expected, her AIS signal is no longer being picked up by marinetraffic.com, so until we can figure out where to find her tracker
Buried on her home page is this: "Where are Jeanne and "Nereida" now? ..... Click here to find out" - this is the link:
http://mmsn-shiptrak.herokuapp.com/?callsign=kc2iov&filter=30&_m=f

Unfortunately, that page is generating this JavaScript error: "You have exceeded your request quota for this API" (Google Maps) - too many page views already!