Jeanne Socrates - nonstop solo RTW 2018

valis

Super Anarchist
Friday Harbor, WA
The waves appear to be coming from the WSW, which puts them a bit starboard of her bow.  This isn't going to be particularly comfortable.

This is from my post on Jeanne's Facebook page:

As of 8:00 AM PDT, Jeanne is about 160 nautical miles due west of Cape Blanco, near the Oregon / California border. Her 24-hour run was about 157 NM, giving an average speed or 6.5 kts. She is currently seeing wind of about 12 kts, and seas around 8 ft. I'm glad to see that she is continuing to sail SSW, on a course of about 200°, since that will take her west of "Gale Alley", the region between southern Oregon and San Francisco where we commonly see persistent strong winds and difficult conditions.

The attached images show her 8AM position, as well as my guess for her position tomorrow morning. That image shows the "wind gust" forecast, rather than the more typical "average wind" that I use. We can see that if she maintains her present course and speed, she will avoid the worst of Gale Alley.
10-8-18 0800 PDT forecast +24.jpg 10-8-18 0800PDT wind.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

valis

Super Anarchist
Friday Harbor, WA
Jeanne's latest blog entry (in case her server locks up again)

Day4 6-7th October 2018 Rough seas and strong winds make for a bumpy but fast

• Last updated: Never
  • Created: 08 October 2018 16:46
  • Hits: 5

3.20pm PDT I've finally got to my morning coffee, having come down below after taking a second reef in the main - and we're still making 7knots! I'm clearly not getting all my priorities right.... should have had that coffee a lot earlier...

We were heeling a lot and winds had definitely increased to over twenty knots - and, according to the forecasts I've been looking at, might well increase more - so I thought it best to reduce sail. Funny that I was thinking about how reefing helps heel without always reducing speed as I started reefing down. Didn't really expect it to happen - but here we are, still making 7 kt....

I'm seeing a patch of blue sky now - hope it increases. Would make a nice change from the grey skies of this morning. It had been pleasantly sunny yesterday, although still rolly from the storm the day before and laterthere was a hazy sun - so not much solar power was coming in to batteries.

I spent a time yesterday afternoon, clearing up the mess of wet lines in the cockpit and, soon after dark, with NW winds eased to around 15kt, I let out the two reefs in the main - our speed had dropped to 4.5kt. Dark grey clouds - looking a bit rain-threatening, I had thought around sunset. No stars tonight. The wind backed into the W after midnight. but we kept up a good speed S.

By 3 a.m., the wind had backed more and had died to a hint of a southerly.. We drifted around in a big circle while I took a nap. Then, predictably, the wind played its tricks - I was awakened before dawn by the wind having got up - strongly enough for me to take in a reef in the rain that had come with the wind - from the S still - damn!! At that point we were heading E.

I was totally unclear as to my best course to steer - E or W - neither were good choices! I didn't want to get any closer to the coast because Cape Blanco lies not so far ahead (just under two days away) and a good offing is needed to avoid its usual strong winds and rough seas. I tacked around to head W but soon found us heading more N as the wind veered into the W- not good! I tacked back again in the increasing light.of a grey dawn.

Finally, the wind veered into the NW - and since then, we've been happily sailing south again....but in rough, quite steep, seas. I'm having to hold on tightly when I move around and every now and then we're hit sideways by a wave - and something I thought was stowed safely decides it's time to jump onto the cabin sole.... Rough seas on the beam, or nearly so, are the worse!

My ratatouille stew will finally be finished tonight - it's proved its worth as a meal prepared in advance of leaving on a long passage. You never know what weather to expect, never mind the forecasts, and it's so good to have a good instant meal that only needs heating, while settling down into sailing the boat again. I thought I was going to have a pleasant easy ride down to California - but it's proved anything but!

1200 PDT - end of Day 4. We made 106 n.ml. DMG over the 24 hr perod - not too bad considerig we were making no way for three hours in a light S wind before dawn and soon after that were headed W and then N!.

Position & weather report posted to Winlink not long before midday PDT (1900 GMT):

TIME: 2018/10/07 17:40GMT LATITUDE: 45-18.75N LONGITUDE: 127-04.53W

COURSE: 195T SPEED: 6.2kt WIND_SPEED: 20kt WIND_DIR: NW

SWELL_HT: 2.0m CLOUDS: 100% BARO: 1020hPa TREND: 0

AIR_TEMP: 17.0C SEA_TEMP: 16.0C COMMENT: Grey sky, overnight rain stopped now

valis

Super Anarchist
Friday Harbor, WA
Did you get a "model comparison" preview this morning on windy.com?  I played with it a bit, and now I can't find it.  It looked interesting.
This is what I'm talking about.  It just popped up again when I refreshed the windy.com screen, with a message "You may like this":

Model Comparison.jpg

I click on the upper-left menu icon and the comparison stuff disappears.  I can't figure out how to get it back.  Subscribe, perhaps?

valis

Super Anarchist
Friday Harbor, WA
This is what I'm talking about.  It just popped up again when I refreshed the windy.com screen, with a message "You may like this":
I figured it out.  Right-click on the chart, and some options pop up.  select "Forecast for this location".  A window opens up at the bottom of the page.  Choose"Wind" and you see the model comparisons.

Ishmael

Yes, we have no bananas
Fuctifino
I figured it out.  Right-click on the chart, and some options pop up.  select "Forecast for this location".  A window opens up at the bottom of the page.  Choose"Wind" and you see the model comparisons.
When you left-click on the chart you get a flag with the wind value. If you click on the V arrow on the flag the info box at the bottom appears. I'm assuming it's just a different way to get to the same place.

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
I listened into the Pacific Seafarers Net on 14.300 Mhz this evening and I was just able to hear the net control station repeat Jeanne's position as 41.49N 128.44W as of 0320Z.

Not very good conditions and I was unable to hear Jeanne's signal, but fortunately the net control operator repeated her check-in report.

73 de K7IM

valis

Super Anarchist
Friday Harbor, WA
I'm currently in NorCal, and so far have been barely able to hear Jeannie's PacSea Net check-ins.  Last night I could only hear one net control operator.  I checked in as a relay operator, but never heard a boat.  Perhaps I will pick her up tomorrow or Weds, when she will be offshore of my location?  Not the best propagation!

The satellite AIS (via marinetraffic.com) had only received a few pings since she started.  Fortunately, her tracker is doing pretty well, even if it misses the occasional hourly report.

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
Why did she choose to start her journey during such a rough period? Or is it always that rough and there's no such thing as a "good time" to start such a trip?

Jim in Halifax

Super Anarchist
Nova Scotia
I think it's more about hitting better weather in  the Southern Ocean than weathering a few fall gales off west coast USA. Note that the Vendée Globe race always starts in November too - not a nice time to be crossing the Bay of Biscay, but a "good time" to start a solo circumnavigation from Sables d'Olonne.

ProaSailor

dreaming my life away...
Oregon

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
With a wave period of 8 seconds, the boat still probably requires active steering but at least the wind is over the shoulder and she'll make good time.

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
With any solo RTW attempt her autopilot/wind vane better be able to cope with just about any conditions without hand steering, otherwise you'd get exhausted.

Look at that underwater ridge coming straight out from Mendocino. Runs right up into the Continenal Shelf and shore if you zoom in. No wonder sea conditions can get ugly there.

valis

Super Anarchist
Friday Harbor, WA
I'm hope this most recent tracker position is in error.  Tracker shows her moving back north at 1.9 kts, but this report follows the previous one by just four minutes.  The tracker time is Oct 10, 0306 AM (which is actually 02:06 Z, or 7:06 PM PDT -- I don't know why, but the tracker is showing UTC + 1 hour)  I tried listening in to the PacSea Net just now, but didn't hear her (I hardly heard anyone).  The tracker is skipping a fair number of hourly reports, including the one following the most recent.  I hope it's just a glitch, and it probably is.

10-10-18 questionable report.jpg

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
With any solo RTW attempt her autopilot/wind vane better be able to cope with just about any conditions without hand steering, otherwise you'd get exhausted.
Speaking of autopilots, I just remembered years back, at the end of her first RTW, her autopilot lost power or some such, and her boat drove up on a remote Mexican beach, where it got holed and destroyed.  That’ll teach you to be careful of autopilots near coasts, I suppose (speaking of the autopilot being able to cope with just about any condition...).

http://thescuttlefish.com/2014/07/life-in-salt-jeanne-socrates-the-oldest-woman-ever-to-complete-a-solo-non-stop-global-circumnavigaton/

A760B762-ED45-4039-BE16-937034BA4599.jpeg

valis

Super Anarchist
Friday Harbor, WA
I'm hope this most recent tracker position is in error.
Yep. just a glitch.  Back on track at 10:02 PM PDT (236 deg @ 5.8 kts), and she did check in to the PacSea Net.  

I do think she's made enough westing for now,  and heading SSE might be advisable to avoid the upcoming light air pushing up from the south by Saturday.  But jibing now would send her back into stronger winds than she prefers.  She does mention this in her latest blog post.

ProaSailor

dreaming my life away...
Oregon
Monday blog: 1200 PDT - end of Day 5. We made 157 n.ml. DMG over the 24 hr period.
Tuesday blog: 1200 PDT - end of Day 6. We made 154 n.ml. DMG over the 24 hr period.

She has been was averaging 6.5 knots for two full days - that's great!  38.7789,-131.766 (Google map)

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
This thread should be cross-hosted with Ocean Racing Anarchy. Just on principle.
I popped in to the Golden Globe Race to mention it, in fact paraphrasing your description of her nonstop RTW attempt as the un-GGR (old lady on a new, fast boat vs. mostly younger guys on older, slow boats).  But I agree...although it’s not really a race (but I suppose she’s “racing” herself in a sense).