Jeep.

Soon. 2018

omj6GOq.jpg

Serge A. Storms

Anarchist
RI, USA
Hate to piss in your cereal but I had a Cherokee in the early 90's   Biggest piece of shit automobile I ever owned.  Lousy mileage, no interior space, tons of wind noise on the highway, and it began falling apart before I was off the lot at the dealer.   I've been a mini-van guy ever since.

PuffyJman

Super Anarchist
panhandle fla
Hate to piss in your cereal but I had a Cherokee in the early 90's   Biggest piece of shit automobile I ever owned.  Lousy mileage, no interior space, tons of wind noise on the highway, and it began falling apart before I was off the lot at the dealer.   I've been a mini-van guy ever since.
I've had very good luck with every Jeep I've owned.(97 Cherokee, 95YJ, 06TJ). However I have had the worst luck with the Hondas I've owned (2012 Crosstour, 2012 250hp Outboard, 1999 VT1100 C3 bike) All have left me stranded and costs big $$ to fix. One could not hand me a Honda for free unless it was a lawnmower.

Figment

Super Anarchist
high and dry
Serge, you're pissing in 25yr old cornflakes there.

To assert that Jeep's (or any carmaker's) product from 25 or even 10 years ago is an indication of their current product is nonsense.   They've all done quality and they've all done crap at one time or another, each model must be evaluated on its own merits. 

Furthermore, if you bought a cherokee for the mileage or the interior space, or the quiet highway ride you plainly bought the wrong car.    The "falling apart before I was off the lot at the dealer" was also a well known trait in that era.   If you didn't know what you were buying it was because you didn't want to know.

I dunno if I dig that 2018 wrangler redesign.    I do know that I'd buy my 06 LJ back in a heartbeat.   I should've sold the boat and kept that car.

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
I wish I could find the photo of my old diesel Mercedes headlight-deep in water towing a dead Jeep home :lol:

I also noted the Wrangler NEEDS the 4WD, it blows in snow in 2WD mode.

mikewof

mikewof
Check out Boothy's Facebook page, he got one of those old Willys Jeeps on the road, first time on the road in "nearly 35 years." That man is a damned genius with bringing old engines back to life.

He gave me the step-by-step plan for getting my old 1975 Fiat Spider running again, I haven't started it since 1990, so many things that I would have missed, he's like a Amadeus Mozart of old engines.

A guy in the Chesapeake

Super Anarchist
Virginia
I've had very good luck with every Jeep I've owned.(97 Cherokee, 95YJ, 06TJ). However I have had the worst luck with the Hondas I've owned (2012 Crosstour, 2012 250hp Outboard, 1999 VT1100 C3 bike) All have left me stranded and costs big $$ to fix. One could not hand me a Honda for free unless it was a lawnmower.
Your Honda experience surprises me - I've put over 300K on every honda vehicle I've owned (well, my old Sabre only had 65K on it when I sold it) - I'm waiting for the Jeep pickup w/the eco-diesel.  I may have to break down and buy Chrysler again if that comes to fruition. 

avenger79

WI
absolutely love my Jeep Wrangler, 150 K on it now. driven it to FL a couple times through mud/snow and anything else you can think of. 

I have had Ford and Chevy trucks both have needed more work and sooner than the Jeep. 

jeep.png

Dorado

Super Anarchist
This takes me and the dog anywhere we want to go . . . . slowly

jeep 3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

avenger79

WI
LOL yep they are definitely not speed demons. 

my dog loves riding in the back with the seat taken out so she has plenty of room. 

wristwister

Super Anarchist
The Salish Sea
There really is a lot to the statement "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand." Yes, they're underpowered, they handle like bricks, overpriced, uncomfortable, boxy, unreliable ... just about every negative attribute that can be applied to a car applies to Jeeps, particularly older ones. But ... I love 'em. Built up several Wranglers and Cherokees and thoroughly abused them. The aftermarket parts available and things you can do to them are just plain fun. And for some reason, used ones are so overpriced that they tend to be worth putting the time and money into.