Jeff Hammer R. I. P.

Grizz

Beats the crap out of me
Northport, NY
I just learned that Jeff Hammer passed away unexpectedly. Jeff, with his Tartan 10 Dreadlocks, was a legend in the Long Island Sound sailing community. He was a staunch friend, a great mentor and an inspiration to sailors across the region.

Funeral arrangements are pending- I'll pass along details as they emerge.

dopo

Super Anarchist
New York
I met Jeff 20 years ago and luckily for me he asked me to come sail with him, I have sailed with him ever since and grew into the sailor I am under his watch. Me and many others before and after came of age on his boat. He put together a group of people that became one of the tightest groups of friends on and off the course. We sailed his beloved TTen Dreadlocks all over Long Island Sound and won nearly everything at one point or another. In time many of us bought our own boats and as a large sailing extended family we would sail together all over the place; Sunday Driver, Tar Baby, Firewater just to name a few. He was the most positive person I have ever met and he would give you the shirt off his back. He loved sailing and everything that came with it. I have never met anyone who did not love Big Jeff.

Despite our large age gap he was one of my closest friends, you would be hard pressed to find a better person anywhere. He was a groomsman in my wedding, I sailed for him and recently he sailed with me on my boat, win or lose we always had a blast. I have more stories than i could possibly write down. I am deeply saddened at his passing, the world is not as special without his light.

Rest In Piece Big Jeff "Ras" Hammer.

I met Jeff 20 years ago and luckily for me he asked me to come sail with him, I have sailed with him ever since and grew into the sailor I am under his watch. Me and many others before and after came of age on his boat. He put together a group of people that became one of the tightest groups of friends on and off the course. We sailed his beloved TTen Dreadlocks all over Long Island Sound and won nearly everything at one point or another. In time many of us bought our own boats and as a large sailing extended family we would sail together all over the place; Sunday Driver, Tar Baby, Firewater just to name a few. He was the most positive person I have ever met and he would give you the shirt off his back. He loved sailing and everything that came with it. I have never met anyone who did not love Big Jeff.

Despite our large age gap he was one of my closest friends, you would be hard pressed to find a better person anywhere. He was a groomsman in my wedding, I sailed for him and recently he sailed with me on my boat, win or lose we always had a blast. I have more stories than i could possibly write down. I am deeply saddened at his passing, the world is not as special without his light.

Didn't know him but wow. That is one of the best tributes I've ever read. Makes me wish I did. Well done Dopo. Condolences from E.B.

MikeR

Super Anarchist
Bayside, NY

When I go, I would hope that I could receive a small portion of something like this. Thanks very much for sharing. Never met the man, but sailed against him for years. Rest in peace.

MacGregor_Lover

Anarchist
Annapolis

Wow TC well said. I have sailed with Jeff for a long time and I have never had a bad day when being around Jeff. The stories of debauchery and victory are endless. He is one of the best spirits I have ever met in my life. He gave so much to sailing, he also was a tremendous asset to the youth soccer program in Huntington and Cold Spring Harbor. Giving countless hours of his free time, and of course helping shape the lives of many young athletes.

Sail on Hammer! You will truly be missed by me and my guess anyone who has ever met you.

gjostrom

NYC
Hammer - I hope they have meat sandwiches and bottled beer on the other side. Thanks for letting me drive sometimes. We'll miss you tremendously. And already do.

Gabe

CJV

Super Anarchist
Long Island, NY
So I bought this donated T10 from SUNY Maritime at Fort Schulyer in 2004.

It had a compromised hull so I got it for a low price, but my insurer (ahem) said that because of the delam'd hull they would not cover it. So I put it on my back yard and began ripping out the hull core without a real plan to actually race it. I was racing on OPBs at the time and I really didn't need to rush that project. Besides, all that fiberglass in my skin sucked.

So one Spring I was out in Huntington Harbor and paddled over to see this guy in a T10 puttering about. We talked a bit and then he asked for a hand installing his vang. So I hopped aboard, we talked, and then he asked if I was around the following Saturday and wanted to race. I said "sure!" since I'd never actually crewed on a T10. On race day a bunch of guys are on the dock, the most wildly differing appearances. One guy was in flannel pajama pants. As the new guy I kept my mouth shut, did my job on foredeck and kept telling myself not to fuck it up. There wasn't much talk and the driver did these amazing starts with hardly any effort, and expressionless but for this little smile on his face. Well the boat did really well and we proceeded to the post-race party at the club. The pre-party was on the boat, with cold Heineys and great sandwiches and reggae and the flag of Grenada flying high.

So I got asked back. And the next time out I didn't not fuck up. But the guys on that boat were really cool. Even if I had slipped completely off the damn foredeck.

And then, over the coming weeks the skipper started pushing me-- finish your boat, buy some sails, come out and race... So I did, splashing a couple of years later, and getting my ass totally whipped each time out. But what a great time it was racing against, partying with, sabering bottles of bubby, and simply being around the great Jeff Hammer.

Always a smile and an encouraging word, ever a prince of this sport. Will miss him dearly.

My heart goes out to the Hammers.