Jet ski, 'toon boat and dummies

Fat Point Jack

Super Anarchist
I just don't know what to say.

Drowning Man Fatally Shot By Same Boater Who Rescued Him
Samantha Berlin - Yesterday 12:17 PM

A South Carolina man was fatally shot by a boater after he was rescued and allegedly became aggressive.

Nathan Drew Morgan, 29, and an unnamed woman were thrown off their Jet Ski at Lake Keowee on Tuesday afternoon and investigators believe the pair may have been arguing before the incident.

A man and woman on a pontoon boat nearby observed Morgan and the unnamed woman struggling in the water. Neither individual wore life jackets and both showed signs of distress in the water, according to police.

According to police, the couple on the boat approached Morgan and the woman and the two got on board as the unmanned Jet Ski continued to circle the lake. After boarding the boat, Morgan allegedly became "agitated" and began assaulting the couple that rescued him.

South Carolina is one of 38 states that have stand-your-ground laws that allow residents to use deadly force in self-defense. First introduced in Florida in 2005, these laws trump duty-to-retreat laws.

"The law was originally intended to allow individuals to defend themselves, with lethal force, against an aggressor without first attempting to retreat," Thaddeus Hoffmeister, attorney and law professor at the University of Dayton, told Newsweek.

"The law was supposed to specifically apply when someone has a legal right to be where they are, did not start the altercation, and has an articulable fear for their life or of serious bodily injury."

In order to claim self-defense in South Carolina, one must prove that they believed they were in imminent danger and did not instigate an attack.

"Investigators have been told that the man may have wanted to get back to the Jet Ski," a news release stated. "The female, who was on the Jet Ski, attempted to deescalate the assault by pushing the man, who had been on the Jet Ski, back in the water."

The couple on the pontoon then assisted Morgan back onto their boat for a second time, police said.

Morgan allegedly began assaulting the couple again and, "fearing for his and his wife's life," the man shot Morgan. Morgan died on the pontoon boat from a bullet wound to the chest, WSOC-TV reported.

Oconee County Sheriff's Deputies were dispatched just after 2 p.m. to reports of a shooting, according to police. Officials with the Criminal Investigations Division and Special Operations Division, including the Marine Unit, were also called to the scene.

The investigation is ongoing and all parties involved are cooperating, police said.

The 10th Circuit Solicitor's Office is meeting with investigators this week to determine whether probable cause exists for criminal charges or if this was a case of self-defense.

jocal505

moderate, informed, ex-gunowner
near Seattle, Wa
All is well that ends well. A boating accident, eh? 

That gun sure came in handy, on a pontoon boat. It shored up an ego, nicely... and ruined some lives.

phillysailor

Super Anarchist
He was rescued, brought on the boat. He was combative, was pushed off to defuse the situation and became combative _again_?

Seems the pontooners had some control over the development of the scenario, so may not fit snugly into “stand your ground” if throwable items would have permitted the asshole to survive and communication could’ve brought help.

I’d imagine the gun was brought out while holey chest guy was swimming the second time, and a deal brokered which he later refused to honor.

From my vantage point I guess I can’t really bring myself to care, except it will make skippers less likely to help one another.

Go USA

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
If this is an accurate description, I can't feel too sorry for the dead guy. I sure wouldn't be up for fighting a random stranger on my boat, too many ways for me and my wife to end up dead.

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC
He was rescued, brought on the boat. He was combative, was pushed off to defuse the situation and became combative _again_?

Seems the pontooners had some control over the development of the scenario, so may not fit snugly into “stand your ground” if throwable items would have permitted the asshole to survive and communication could’ve brought help.

I’d imagine the gun was brought out while holey chest guy was swimming the second time, and a deal brokered which he later refused to honor.

From my vantage point I guess I can’t really bring myself to care, except it will make skippers less likely to help one another.

Go USA
A guy swimming is probably safe to pick up, probably not packing heat.

Or if he is, it's probably not a major caliber :ph34r:

- DSK

Last edited by a moderator:

Monkey

Super Anarchist

Go USA
Very easy to say in hindsight. And if they’d taken your idea, they could easily be looking at manslaughter if the dude drowned. 

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
According to police, the couple on the boat approached Morgan and the woman and the two got on board as the unmanned Jet Ski continued to circle the lake.
Hasn't anyone else here ever actually ridden one?

If you fall off, it immediately drops to idle and spins in a tight circle. You swim over and climb back aboard. There's never a reason for another boat to get involved at all. Unmanned Jet Ski's don't "circle a lake" at all.

I guess this raises the question of WHY anyone has an armed pontoon boat unless maybe this lake is known for crazy swimming people :unsure:
I'd expect more trouble at the boat ramp than on the water. People get very irate when they're failing to launch or recover a boat. Or maybe the 'toon boat guy was just a murderous asshole. Guns have one purpose, to kill people, so that was obviously his purpose in owning one. Just like any other gun owner.

Fat Point Jack

Super Anarchist

If you fall off, it immediately drops to idle and spins in a tight circle. You swim over and climb back aboard. There's never a reason for another boat to get involved at all. Unmanned Jet Ski's don't "circle a lake" at all.

I'd expect more trouble at the boat ramp than on the water. People get very irate when they're failing to launch or recover a boat. Or maybe the 'toon boat guy was just a murderous asshole. Guns have one purpose, to kill people, so that was obviously his purpose in owning one. Just like any other gun owner.
Do you carry on your 'toon boat?

When my Bro took a singlehanded trip down to the 10,000 Islands, I asked him if he wanted to take my wife's Wingmaster. 

He declined.

He said it was different when he drove the 18 wheeler in and out of Gary and S Chicago. 

He tells a tale of a jet ski on the loose at the Hobie Div 10 Regatta at Lake Street Beach in Gary.  

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
You've never seen a jet skier too fat to climb back aboard?  And you call Florida your home...sheesh.

Fat Point Jack

Super Anarchist
I didn't yesterday but launched here at our private ramp. Nav A Gator was PACKED! We showed up before noon and got the last two outdoor seats. By the time we left, the yard was full of folding chairs and it wasn't 1:00 yet so no booze even being served.
Desoto County still has those commerce restricting blue laws.

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!

It did have one purpose and it did kill someone. Now that someone was attacking the guy AND had a jet-ski, so obviously this was justified :rolleyes:

Seriously, this seems a chain of odd circumstances.

Hey, I need a gun to go out in a pontoon boat in case I get attacked by a crazy person who fell off a jet-ski.

You're nuts

(guy gets attacked by crazy jet-skit rider)

What the :wacko: