Jet ski, 'toon boat and dummies

Virgulino Ferreira

Anarchist
Brazil
Lake Keowee: Police refuse to charge South Carolina man over boat shooting

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-60826311

Officials in the US state of South Carolina say they will not pursue charges against a boater who rescued a drowning man, before shooting him dead.

Nathan Drew Morgan, 29, was shot by an unnamed 74-year old man last Tuesday after being pulled from Lake Keowee.

An autopsy report ruled Morgan had died from a single gunshot to the chest aboard the man's pontoon boat.

But Oconee County Sheriff's department said prosecutors had determined the shooting took place in self-defence.

In a short statement, officials said 10th Circuit Solicitor David Wagner made the decision after meeting with investigators and asked "for continued prayer for the family of Nathan Drew Morgan".

Lake Keowee is an extremely dangerous man-made reservoir which has seen a number of fatalities over the past 30 years.

Officials from the sheriff's department said Morgan and an unnamed woman were in distress when discovered, having fallen off a Jet Ski into the water.

Neither was wearing a life-jacket and the Jet Ski was circling.

"The man, who had been rescued, became agitated and began assaulting the couple on the pontoon," officers said in an earlier statement. "Investigators have been told that the man may have wanted to get back to the Jet Ski."

Sheriff Mike Crenshaw told the Journal of Seneca that Morgan may have been intoxicated.

It was also alleged the women with Morgan pushed him back into the water in an attempt to defuse the situation, after which he was once again rescued by the 74-year-old man.

However, Morgan was subsequently shot by the man, who claimed he feared "for his and his wife's life while being assaulted".

The bizarre incident comes just three weeks after a jury in Florida voted to acquit a former police Swat commander who shot and killed a man who had thrown popcorn in his face during an altercation in a cinema.

Gun related violence has continued to climb in the US in recent years. In 2020, some 19,384 homicides involved a firearm, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
It did have one purpose and it did kill someone. Now that someone was attacking the guy AND had a jet-ski, so obviously this was justified :rolleyes:

Seriously, this seems a chain of odd circumstances.

Hey, I need a gun to go out in a pontoon boat in case I get attacked by a crazy person who fell off a jet-ski.

You're nuts

(guy gets attacked by crazy jet-skit rider)

What the :wacko:
If he didn't have a gun, I suspect a 29 year old could assault a 74 year old and badly injure and/or kill him and/or his wife and it wouldn't make headlines because no evil gun means no evil to report.

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
If he didn't have a gun, I suspect a 29 year old could assault a 74 year old and badly injure and/or kill him and/or his wife and it wouldn't make headlines because no evil gun means no evil to report.
Dumb justification!  I have a carry license and would never take a gun, let alone have one on me boating.  What was the worst case, give the drunk shit control of your shitty pontoon boat or shoot him?  Tom, you are fucked in the head if you think this was right.  And at 74, I bet I could keep a 29yo from climbing back aboard.  Shove the battlefield dog balls up your ass.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Dumb justification!  I have a carry license and would never take a gun, let alone have one on me boating.  What was the worst case, give the drunk shit control of your shitty pontoon boat or shoot him?  Tom, you are fucked in the head if you think this was right.  And at 74, I bet I could keep a 29yo from climbing back aboard.  Shove the battlefield dog balls up your ass.
Where did you see that he was assaulting the boat? I saw that he was assaulting the humans. I bet you're an internet tough guy who won't say his real name but will falsely accuse people like me of faking a broken hip, showing how you would really behave. You never did apologize for that lie, so you may be an internet tough guy but you're not a man.

Fuck off with your "just let him assault you, how bad could that be" attitude.

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
Where did you see that he was assaulting the boat? I saw that he was assaulting the humans. I bet you're an internet tough guy who won't say his real name but will falsely accuse people like me of faking a broken hip, showing how you would really behave. You never did apologize for that lie, so you may be an internet tough guy but you're not a man.

Fuck off with your "just let him assault you, how bad could that be" attitude.
Really?  What I read, not saw, was a drunk guy who wanted to get his jet ski.  Had the gun crazy old shit (sound familiar) just turned over the controls, he'd still be alive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lark

Supper Anarchist
Ohio
What’s water temperature?  Nathan’s date threw him back into the drink for being an ingrate,   All Captain Geriatric had to do was toss him a class IV, back off a few meters with his distress flag, and make sure the next pontoon boat didn’t crack his skull.   Call 911 and let authorities deal.  The old man had two women in the boat to protect him anyway.   It seems a reasonable man could have avoided killing, drowning after refusing to be rescued is a different issue.  I assume the shooter filed a USCG marine casualty report claiming repelled piracy, so the feds have a chance to charge still.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
Pertinacious Tom said:
OK, Jim, you're an asshole for saying I faked a broken hip and it shows how you would really behave. Your failure to apologize is further proof. Fuck off and die soon.
Wow, exactly what I would expect from a senile old man whose life is rim-centered about a .22 rifle.  It is your Rosebud.

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
What’s water temperature?  Nathan’s date threw him back into the drink for being an ingrate,   All Captain Geriatric had to do was toss him a class IV, back off a few meters with his distress flag, and make sure the next pontoon boat didn’t crack his skull.   Call 911 and let authorities deal.  The old man had two other people in the boat to protect him anyway.   It seems a reasonable man could have avoided killing, drowning after refusing to be rescued is a different issue.  I assume the shooter filed a USCG marine casualty report claiming repelled piracy, so the feds have a chance to charge still.
Civil suit is the bigger worry.  Juries love to hand out money.

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
What’s water temperature?  Nathan’s date threw him back into the drink for being an ingrate,   All Captain Geriatric had to do was toss him a class IV, back off a few meters with his distress flag, and make sure the next pontoon boat didn’t crack his skull.   Call 911 and let authorities deal.  The old man had two other people in the boat to protect him anyway.   It seems a reasonable man could have avoided killing, drowning after refusing to be rescued is a different issue.  I assume the shooter filed a USCG marine casualty report claiming repelled piracy, so the feds have a chance to charge still.
Thanks for getting it.  We need to change the shoot first culture.  And although a hero to Tom,  what kind of asshole straps a gun to go pontooning.  I bet he blew a good number and will get raped in civil court and lose all gun privileges.

Lark

Supper Anarchist
Ohio
Civil suit is the bigger worry.  Juries love to hand out money.
true dat.   Possibly goes both ways.   Didn’t do enough or took things too far.  Since Nathan wasn’t wearing a PFD it seems likely the pontoon captain would be off the hook if he drowned, since he failed to follow the safety rules for a jet ski.   His date could still get greedy.    

I’m curious about the circling,   Could he set the idle fast to compensate for ethanol damage to the fuel system?   

Lark

Supper Anarchist
Ohio
Thanks for getting it.  We need to change the shoot first culture.  And although a hero to Tom,  what kind of asshole straps a gun to go pontooning.  I bet he blew a good number and will get raped in civil court and lose all gun privileges.

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
true dat.   Possibly goes both ways.   Didn’t do enough or took things too far.  Since Nathan wasn’t wearing a PFD it seems likely the pontoon captain would be off the hook if he drowned, since he failed to follow the safety rules for a jet ski.   His date could still get greedy.    

I’m curious about the circling,   Could he set the idle fast to compensate for ethanol damage to the fuel system?   

A funny memory.  We're on Lake Michigan entering White Lake heading for home and we pass a couple that had just been thrown from their jet ski.  We stopped to make sure they were ok, she being trim hopped back on, he being the great white whale couldn't  manage.  Our jr guy swam over and got his ass on board.  The rest of the crew spent the time trying to get fit girl to our boat.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Nathan’s date threw him back into the drink for being an ingrate
No, he was tossed back in for assaulting the rescuers the first time. That's a bit beyond being an ingrate.

If this was really a "shoot first" culture like Cal believes, he would have been shot, not tossed in the drink. But he wasn't, so Cal's just full of shit on that. He was shot the second time he assaulted his rescuers. I know attacking a rescuer for the second time makes him a hero to Cal, who believes he should have just submitted to the attack, but he's an asshole, as noted.

Se7en

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Haven't they invented tow ropes in bum fuck Carolina yet?

Throw the numb nuts in the water a line and tow him to shore? Or at least let a couple of hundred feet of line out before taking pot shots - make it sporting at least?

I just can't imagine letting someone back on board after him being turfed off for being a dick. "here's a lifebuoy, we'll call the coast guard for ya"

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
No, he was tossed back in for assaulting the rescuers the first time. That's a bit beyond being an ingrate.

If this was really a "shoot first" culture like Cal believes, he would have been shot, not tossed in the drink. But he wasn't, so Cal's just full of shit on that. He was shot the second time he assaulted his rescuers. I know attacking a rescuer for the second time makes him a hero to Cal, who believes he should have just submitted to the attack, but he's an asshole, as noted.
Tom, the helicopters...they are coming for Rosebud.

Thanks for your senility as always laden efforts.

My 59yrs of experience tells me the dead guy wasn't trying to rob or rape, stand out of his way and let him control the boat and live.  You are senile and guns control that.  The drunk kid did not deserve to be shot despite what 'you saw'

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit

Cite that senile man!  My comment was two-fold, why the fuck is someone packing on a pontoon boat?

Also, are you so stupid that even in the event of a confrontation, gunshot wasn't avoidable?  

I am awed by your senility and stupidity.  You must live afraid of the outside world.

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
I am sure of that too. Like I said, I had no problem with shooting the guy in self defense, I wouldn't want to fight a random crazy person on my boat either. My issue was how nutty it seemed to go pontoon boating armed and then how extra-nutty it seems to actually have to use the gun. You have to admit this is a bit out of the ordinary.