Jet ski, 'toon boat and dummies

βhyde

Super Anarchist
Beside Myself
I'm sure the prosecution will argue that you can not stand your ground on the water. The law will be revised to Stand Your Ground/Hold Your Water. Just makes sense.

Lark

Supper Anarchist
Ohio
Didn't have teh kill switch cord strapped to wrist?
Evidently.    I suspect the jet ski guy didn’t want to leave his toy,   The pontoon driver didn’t want to get his boat damaged by the toy,   Just a guess, to explain the conflict.   It’s  been years since I rented / wrecked one.  As I recall, it didn’t do much without some action on the throttle, like a moped with a centripetal clutch.   Twist the throttle climbing on, it twists out from under you but promptly stops to wait for your next effort.   If it was stationary, judo chick could have mounted it and left him or not as she saw fit. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
I know attacking a rescuer for the second time makes him a hero to Cal, who believes he should have just submitted to the attack, but he's an asshole, as noted.
Cite that senile man!
The first or second time you said it? How about both?

My 59yrs of experience tells me the dead guy wasn't trying to rob or rape, stand out of his way and let him control the boat

What I read, not saw, was a drunk guy who wanted to get his jet ski.  Had the gun crazy old shit (sound familiar) just turned over the controls, he'd still be alive.
Yes, your hero would still be alive if the gun nut had submitted to the attack and counted on your 59 years of experience to help him and his wife withstand the assault.

I share the opinion of those who believe his death not a great loss because he was an asshole like yourself. I continue to hope you fuck off and die soon too.

00seven

James "Grumpy" Bond
Blue marble
The first or second time you said it? How about both?

Yes, your hero would still be alive if the gun nut had submitted to the attack and counted on your 59 years of experience to help him and his wife withstand the assault.

I share the opinion of those who believe his death not a great loss because he was an asshole like yourself. I continue to hope you fuck off and die soon too.
I don't think I'd be real keen to hand control of my boat to a drunk and cranky guy chasing an out of control jet ski. I'm no youngster, I'd be protecting my family and property by whatever means at hand. The GF pushing him back into the water is telling

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
I am sure of that too. Like I said, I had no problem with shooting the guy in self defense, I wouldn't want to fight a random crazy person on my boat either. My issue was how nutty it seemed to go pontoon boating armed and then how extra-nutty it seems to actually have to use the gun. You have to admit this is a bit out of the ordinary.
I know I'm what passes for a gun nut around here, but I associate with real ones. I'm a mildly enthusiastic hobbyist at most to them.

Some of them carry all the time. I mean mowing the lawn, even bringing a gun to take a shower. Incidents like this cause them to say, "See? Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it, and you never know!"

And they're right. The thing is, most of our cops retire without ever shooting at anyone. An even larger percentage of these carriers will die without ever shooting at anyone. They're preparing for a pretty miniscule risk. Cancer or heart disease or something like that will get me, like most everyone else. I got my first delivery of "for the rest of your life" medicine the other day. That's how I'm preparing for the risk of death. I have guns but the chances that I'll ever have to use one are remote, even more so than for a cop.

Fat Point Jack

Super Anarchist
This thread is why our fellow human beings do this to one another.  Having witnessed enough bar fights in the past they start out as a discussion, then an argument and the fight follows.  Back then it was fists, now it's a gun.  It was funny to see the one guys toupee flying off his head when he got hit.  Now he would have been "disrespected" and come back for the ultimate revenge.

Yea, Tom has some real nutters out there.  As I remember his neighbor the x-locksmith Boomer stood his ground against his neighbor.  When it is only one speaking it his story, dead men tell no tales.

We don't have a gun problem, we have a people problem.  How we fix that I don't have the slightest idea.  The Big 10 didn't work.  The various punishments we have handed out over the years don't work and giving people an out really isn't a good idea.

As I said once before, I would rather be an alive Mensch rather that a dead man.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Yea, Tom has some real nutters out there.  As I remember his neighbor the x-locksmith Boomer stood his ground against his neighbor.  When it is only one speaking it his story, dead men tell no tales.
Heh. Not sure who you're talking about but I was referring to nutters from gun forums, not people who live around me. As far as I know, none of my neighbors routinely carries a gun, though all own them.

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
I know I'm what passes for a gun nut around here, but I associate with real ones. I'm a mildly enthusiastic hobbyist at most to them.

Some of them carry all the time. I mean mowing the lawn, even bringing a gun to take a shower. Incidents like this cause them to say, "See? Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it, and you never know!"

And they're right. The thing is, most of our cops retire without ever shooting at anyone. An even larger percentage of these carriers will die without ever shooting at anyone. They're preparing for a pretty miniscule risk. Cancer or heart disease or something like that will get me, like most everyone else. I got my first delivery of "for the rest of your life" medicine the other day. That's how I'm preparing for the risk of death. I have guns but the chances that I'll ever have to use one are remote, even more so than for a cop.
One thing perhaps not appreciated is that this was also a domestic dispute, the fight started with the girlfriend pushing the guy off the boat. Cops *hate* dealing with domestics and IIRC they get injured or killed doing so at a higher rate dealing with them than anything else. You never know when the people trying to kill each other will suddenly both turn on you.

It has been a very long time since I had a gun on my boat for self-defense, but I do frequently have a gun for RC duties and some blanks. I personally judge the risk of needing a gun on the Chesapeake as pretty much 0, but then again the fishermen on CH 68 are always threatening each other with mayhem :rolleyes:

sail611

...... even in the event of a confrontation, gunshot wasn't avoidable?  
I think that is the whole point of "SYG" laws.  They exist TO enable the shooting of another human being, often over the slightest percieved indiscretion. 

Some people have spent a great sum of money on their guns and training.  It would be a damn shame if they never got to see a return on their investments.

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
I think that is the whole point of "SYG" laws.  They exist TO enable the shooting of another human being, often over the slightest percieved indiscretion. 

Some people have spent a great sum of money on their guns and training.  It would be a damn shame if they never got to see a return on their investments.
These laws have both good and bad effects. On the good side, they don't make it so a 70-something has to have a fistfight with a 20-something first and then go looking for a gun if he loses and is still alive and mobile. In this case I don't think SYG even applies, there is no where to retreat to on a boat!

The bad side of SYG is it seems like in some states you can shoot anyone for anything and get away with it if you're white, even if you provoked the other person in the first place.

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
These laws have both good and bad effects. On the good side, they don't make it so a 70-something has to have a fistfight with a 20-something first and then go looking for a gun if he loses and is still alive and mobile. In this case I don't think SYG even applies, there is no where to retreat to on a boat!

The bad side of SYG is it seems like in some states you can shoot anyone for anything and get away with it if you're white, even if you provoked the other person in the first place.
I respectfully disagree.  I have a carry license and would only shoot if me or someone was in danger.  His girlfriend threw his ass back in the water.  He didn't deserve to die for being a drunk jet skier.

I would never carry at sea.

I would never carry if my BAC was above 0.00%

YMMV

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC

I respectfully disagree.  I have a carry license and would only shoot if me or someone was in danger.  His girlfriend threw his ass back in the water.  He didn't deserve to die for being a drunk jet skier.

YMMV
Not everyone is as smart or as self-disciplined or dare I say as honorable as you are.

I carried for many years. Never shot anybody, never wanted to, which is why I stopped... also had the luxury of living and working in nicer places. Many gun nutterz -want- to shoot somebody. They think it'd be a hoot. Many of them carry when drunk, or go around seeing if they can pick a fight, etc etc.

- DSK

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
Not everyone is as smart or as self-disciplined or dare I say as honorable as you are.

I carried for many years. Never shot anybody, never wanted to, which is why I stopped... also had the luxury of living and working in nicer places. Many gun nutterz -want- to shoot somebody. They think it'd be a hoot. Many of them carry when drunk, or go around seeing if they can pick a fight, etc etc.

- DSK
We and you are cool!

Lark

Supper Anarchist
Ohio

YMMV
Respectfully disagree.   If he was in fact operating a high speed torpedo drunk, he did deserve to die.    Better he dies then endangering you on a dinghy or kayak.   Of course if he was drunk, the old guy on the pontoon should have been able to wack him with his hypothetical cane. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Very easy to say in hindsight. And if they’d taken your idea, they could easily be looking at manslaughter if the dude drowned. 
Strange laws we have. Don't let the guy on the boat, manslaughter

Let the guy on the boat and shoot him? Self-defense