Jibing a j105

Crank Boy

Super Anarchist
I'll admit right now to never having been on a boat with a bowsprit.

So I need you guys help me settle a bet. I thought I saw a j105 jibe its chute INSIDE the forestay last night. I also thought I read on here that this was possible but thinking about how it would work makes my brain hurt.

So can it be done and if so how?

Nantucket Red

Super Anarchist
Charlestown, MA
So I need you guys help me settle a bet. I thought I saw a j105 jibe its chute INSIDE the forestay last night. I also thought I read on here that this was possible but thinking about how it would work makes my brain hurt.

You mean, inside the chute rather than outside (like a 109), right?

Crank Boy

Super Anarchist
So I need you guys help me settle a bet.  I thought I saw a j105 jibe its chute INSIDE the forestay last night. I also thought I read on here that this was possible but thinking about how it would work makes my brain hurt.

You mean, inside the chute rather than outside (like a 109), right?
uh no i don't think so.

i swear i wasn't drunk.

it really looked like the bowman pulled the clew across the foredeck inside the forestay. but what the hell does the tack do?

like i said it makes my brain hurt.

of course this boat had just recovered from a bad wrap so maybe something else was going on.

bowboy

Anarchist
Chicago, IL
yeah, i think you're talking about an inside vs. an outside gybe here, which refers not to inside or outside the headstay (there's a reason why your brain hurts - inside is, as ralph wiggum would say, unpossible), but to inside or outside the luff of the chute. i.e. you can pull the sail outside around it's luff, or inside between its luff and the headstay.

R

rokurota

You were seeing things mate. Maybe not drunk, but perhaps a acid flashback. :p

You got two options with a sprit and a-sail.

1 go all the way around the out side, but if something fucksup at the end of the sprit you screwed.

2 go between the tack and the fore stay, which is what most of the local boats do. It has its deaw backs too, but at least the bowman can reach things if it goes south.

Crank Boy

Super Anarchist
yeah, i think you're talking about an inside vs. an outside gybe here, which refers not to inside or outside the headstay (there's a reason why your brain hurts - inside is, as ralph wiggum would say, unpossible), but to inside or outside the luff of the chute. i.e. you can pull the sail outside around it's luff, or inside between its luff and the headstay.
yeah i can make that work in my head. just not what i thought i saw.

J

J/130

Inside the headstay is definitely impossible. The whole chute has gotta go in front. You were either drunk or they were up to some funky shit on that boat! B)

Planing Along

Colorado
When we jibe the chute on the Henderson in light air, as we turn down, the clew pretty much floats right up to the forestay. The bowman then grabs it (on the new side) and basically pulls it down and back as fast as possible to at least behind the shrouds to try to get all 1250 sq ft turned inside out before it wraps itself in the forestay (ending up like what you think you saw). I can see how that would look like the bowman pulled it through the forestay. Either way, it would be one fugly mess if you jibed it inside the forestay--unless you had some weird fascination with the unhooking the forestay technique the big boats use with the super long poles... :p

surf nazi

Super Anarchist

Maybe you should dial back on the crank, boy. These hallucinations and headaches are not a good sign. And as part of your recovery, you need to go out on a sprit boat, I recommend a melges in some breeze.

Crank Boy

Super Anarchist
Was it one of those new-fangled Maxi Grand Prix J/105 programs, where they disconnect the headstay for each gybe?!?!?
Nope. I am now covinced that it was a jibe inside the luff. and it just looked weird to me. or they were still unravelling from a very bad wrap and did something funky that i don't understand.

thanks for your help all. my brain feels better.

thanks again for your kind words surf nazi.

-Q-

Nope, I bet you might have actually seen this happen, but did you see how the chute was flying after the jibe?

I have seen this happen twice so far, both times it was for the same reason, both times on other boats :D ... bow guy screws up and rigs the sheet on one side of the chute inside the forestay instead of outside. Chute goes up fine, they let some out on the tack line so it rotates and flies well, etc etc, then the jibe comes... they pull on the new sheet and bring the whole chute inside the triangle, it gets air, fills, and viola, inside gybe... with the tack going down to the pulpit and out on the wrong side. There is two feet of tack line out, so it sorta flies, just not on the end of the pole. Looks like its flying from a roller on the bow.... sorta. Let out more tack line to keep it flying until the next jibe, then re-run the sheet. It just works like hell.