Jimmy Buffet just bought one of ugliest sailboats I have ever seen...

Dan33

Super Anarchist
I really wish I could race with (against) you guys...I race in a small club you have no yardstick by which to know if my skills are progressing...(sigh).

That said I race in a very competitive, aggressive fleet. If nothing else my cruising skills are well honed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Scott

Super Anarchist
Thanks, Bob! Whimsy and I are indeed a good match for each other. Both of us are little outside "normal", but really not too far.

Sadly, I don't race her any more. West Florida PHRF changed their rules over a year ago, and made it far too difficult for me.

So, I just race every sailboat I come across - or else just sail "full tilt" for my own fun.

It's all good! :D

Wash

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, CA
Tom is spot on and knows his boat. Respect. Sail your boat the best way you know how. As a youngin on the Spencer 62 Ragtime in the late 70's and early 80's we had a lot of guest experts on board over the years trying to reduce sail and sail her flat. Finally, one day a sailing mate of mine who had the most miles on her said just heel her over and let her rip to the pros. The increase in speed was dramatic.

Wash

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, CA
Took some gentle ribbing on FB from a North Sails Salesman on a photo I posted critical of my boat's heel angle last year.

Just having fun on a day sail with friends. We had a great time!

C32.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Wash

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, CA
Comanche-Sails...-Fast-2-640x354.jpg Modern Mono-hulls like the VO65s, Comanche and Rambler 88 live life at 40+ degrees to go fast. Funny to see the expertoligists on this thread pontificate and criticize about nothing they know about.

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
You should have that gal with the great thighs out on the rail droop hiking! Maybe not keep her close to the Skip so you can reach out and give a squeeze every now and then...

ProaSailor

dreaming my life away...
Oregon
attachicon.gif

Comanche-Sails...-Fast-2-640x354.jpgModern Mono-hulls like the VO65s, Comanche and Rambler 88 live life at 40+ degrees to go fast. Funny to see the expertoligists on this thread pontificate and criticize about nothing they know about.
Nothing YOU know about, perhaps. A ~45 year old Morgan 30 is not a fast boat by any meaningful standard.

Super-maxi Comanche, a yacht so beamy she’s christened the Aircraft Carrier

http://www.yachtingworld.com/yachts-and-gear/comanche-yacht-63102

Her optimum heel angle is anything over 20°, while at 25° she has the same wetted surface as Wild Oats XI.

Tom Scott

Super Anarchist
^^^ Hey Tom Ray, who the hell are you calling old??? Oh, wait. nevermind. You're right. Did we already have this discussion? Where are my glasses? :blink:

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
I have to go along with Wash on this. You race your boat and you learn what it likes. If it doesn't like it you don;t do it or,,,you are an idiot.

Given the way this Morgan is kept up I suspect Tom is not an idiot. Just a hunch.

I'll second the notion tat this boat is a lot more fun than the new JB boat. This boat is real.

Tom Scott

Super Anarchist
"...A ~45 year old Morgan 30 is not a fast boat by any meaningful standard."

Hey, SAILBOATS are not fast by any meaningful standard!!! :D

But, my Morgan 30 is a fast boat by MY standards.

It can beat most other boats its size that are being cruised to the anchorage - so I get a better choice of spot.

It can sail confidently upwind when other cruisers are motoring.

It can occasionally surprise bigger and faster boats on the race course. Mine has beat many boat-for-boat (without rating arguments)

It won't plane.

It will surf a little on her side.

Max speed reached thus far is 12 knots (semi-surfing).

She will bump 9 knots reaching in 25 knots in flat water. (non-spinnaker).

Sport Boat? Nope.

But not a slug. Faster than many 30 cruiser/racers.

(..I passed a well-sailed Tartan 3000 when this picture below was taken. Good enough for me!)

gallery_75266_1119_6836.jpg

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
^^^ Hey Tom Ray, who the hell are you calling old??? Oh, wait. nevermind. You're right. Did we already have this discussion? Where are my glasses? :blink:
Yes you need those glasses Tom....it is not a boat, but a very large odd shaped box of breakfast cereal you have been getting wet on???

The Californian company Beatrice Foods, which is now part of Nebraskan company ConAgra Foods, owned many brands, one of which was Morgan Yachts. You Americanos probably already know that, thought that interesting.

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
"...A ~45 year old Morgan 30 is not a fast boat by any meaningful standard."

Hey, SAILBOATS are not fast by any meaningful standard!!! :D

But, my Morgan 30 is a fast boat by MY standards.

It can beat most other boats its size that are being cruised to the anchorage - so I get a better choice of spot.

It can sail confidently upwind when other cruisers are motoring.

It can occasionally surprise bigger and faster boats on the race course. Mine has beat many boat-for-boat (without rating arguments)

It won't plane.

It will surf a little on her side.

Max speed reached thus far is 12 knots (semi-surfing).

She will bump 9 knots reaching in 25 knots in flat water. (non-spinnaker).

Sport Boat? Nope.

But not a slug. Faster than many 30 cruiser/racers.

(..I passed a well-sailed Tartan 3000 when this picture below was taken. Good enough for me!)

gallery_75266_1119_6836.jpg
Looks like you have some good hull speed going there Tom! Sail on buddy!!

Tom Scott

Super Anarchist
Yes, I knew Breatrice owned Morgan Yachts for a while.

My boat came with corn, wheat flower, and beef in the galley - pre-loaded from the factory. :D

gallery_75266_1131_14487.jpg

Trickypig

Super Anarchist
Australia
Tom, she's trim and shipshape. Winches on the mast for a clear cabin top. A clean bottom, good sails, a neat paint job and best of all… nice lines. Classic plastic if ever there was.

When one sees so many expensive average white boats with grubby topsides, fenders dragging and enough crap on de back to bury the exhaust and grow weed on the boot top.

Thanks for the eye candy. (the boat, I mean)

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Yes you need those glasses Tom....it is not a boat, but a very large odd shaped box of breakfast cereal you have been getting wet on???

The Californian company Beatrice Foods, which is now part of Nebraskan company ConAgra Foods, owned many brands, one of which was Morgan Yachts. You Americanos probably already know that, thought that interesting.
The Morgan factory in St Pete is now owned by Catalina, which was owned by Frank, Sharon, and Gerry last I knew.