Jimmy Buffet just bought one of ugliest sailboats I have ever seen...

ProaSailor

dreaming my life away...
Oregon
Proa:

I think if you are truly interested in that boat there are other places you can go, better places, like Ted Fontaine's web site or even PSC';s web site to get more detailed info than you will get here on CA. For God's sake, it's CA! Let CA be CA and go to Ted's site where you can get some details. I did a review on the boat three months ago in SAILING. Not sure that's worth much to you but given my word number constraints there may be something there for you.

Ca lives on thread drift. I just put up with it and most of the time I enjoy it. You might be sitting at that red light and a blonde pulls up next to you in an XKE. Thread drift.

Ranti:

I do a great borsch.
Do you understand now what I meant in another thread when I said "It's what people believe is true that matters so much more [than "the truth"]?

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Proa:

No I do not.

Get your own "truth".

This is not "the truth" forum".

Do your own research. Like most of us do. I certainly do. Always have. Don't need to be told what to think. I can figure it out.

I wish it could be delivered alike a pizza? Not gonna happen.

If you are really interested in the specifics of a new boat would you really come to CRUISING ANARCHY?

If I was after some specifics on a new design I'd go to the designer's web site. Fontaine is all over this. I';s his new BIG thing. He will provide the specs you need.

CA is all about guys bull shitting and having fun.

No, no, no. for me it';s never about what other people believe is the truth. NEVER! I can only be satisfied with my own knowledge of the truth.

And it may change tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Proa:

I think if you are truly interested in that boat there are other places you can go, better places, like Ted Fontaine's web site or even PSC';s web site to get more detailed info than you will get here on CA. For God's sake, it's CA! Let CA be CA and go to Ted's site where you can get some details. I did a review on the boat three months ago in SAILING. Not sure that's worth much to you but given my word number constraints there may be something there for you.

Ca lives on thread drift. I just put up with it and most of the time I enjoy it. You might be sitting at that red light and a blonde pulls up next to you in an XKE. Thread drift.

Ranti:

I do a great borsch.
Do you understand now what I meant in another thread when I said "It's what people believe is true that matters so much more [than "the truth"]?

kMOwnop.jpg

ProaSailor

dreaming my life away...
Oregon
Proa:

No I do not.

Get your own "truth".

This is not "the truth" forum".

Do your own research. Like most of us do. I certainly do. Always have. Don't need to be told what to think. I can figure it out.

I wish it could be delivered alike a pizza? Not gonna happen.

If you are really interested in the specifics of a new boat would you really come to CRUISING ANARCHY?

If I was after some specifics on a new design I'd go to the designer's web site. Fontaine is all over this. I';s his new BIG thing. He will provide the specs you need.

CA is all about guys bull shitting and having fun.

No, no, no. for me it';s never about what other people believe is the truth. NEVER! I can only be satisfied with my own knowledge of the truth.

And it may change tomorrow.
You're a pisser, Bob! And rather obtuse at times. Don't let it upset you so much that I am not, and never will be, one of your toadies and bootlickers - and that, sir, is the truth.

Happy Equinox everyone.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Oh, I could have told Proa what he wanted to hear but I chose honesty.

I don;t even know what "obtuse " means. But I'm willing to give it a go. Explain please.

For the record. I don't have "toadies" and bootlickers". Don't need them. I have done what I have done. Lick that!

I do have some CA friends that I share common yacht design values with. But not all the time. We argue. We piss each other off. But it's all in fun and over time well ALL GET TO L:EARN SOMETHING. There is a level of mutual respect. It does work.

Wash

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, CA
attachicon.gif
Comanche-Sails...-Fast-2-640x354.jpgModern Mono-hulls like the VO65s, Comanche and Rambler 88 live life at 40+ degrees to go fast. Funny to see the expertoligists on this thread pontificate and criticize about nothing they know about.
Nothing YOU know about, perhaps. A ~45 year old Morgan 30 is not a fast boat by any meaningful standard.

Super-maxi Comanche, a yacht so beamy she’s christened the Aircraft Carrier

http://www.yachtingworld.com/yachts-and-gear/comanche-yacht-63102

Her optimum heel angle is anything over 20°, while at 25° she has the same wetted surface as Wild Oats XI.
I do not see the point you are trying to make. My point was that Tom knows letting his M30 heel over and rip is faster than shortening sail and sailing flat on anything other than going to windward.

But you are obviously the expertologist here on this part of the thread! Carry on.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
I don't like to see people getting pissed off here. Our talk is just a bunch of guys who love boats sharing what they have learned. Some need to learn a bit more and they will over time.

I'm is the Wash camp on this. Not that it is important. It's just fun boat talk.

Dilligaf0220

Super Anarchist
Not The Caribbean
I like deep sea fishing, and I like sailing. Trying to fish from a sailboat is the worst of both worlds. It looks like this boat might do both reasonably well. For what it is, I like the looks. It is so much more pleasant to look at than the current crop of plastic tennis shoes (and many from the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90's as well).
Here here. You don't even need to be in the ocean, I like trolling off guys boats in Lake Ontario just to show them what a great salmon & trout fishery there is on their doorstep a few miles out of the harbour. Even getting a 20lb Chinook over the gunnel of just about any sailboat is a PITA, can't imagine the clusterfuck a tuna or wahoo would be.

Jimmy's boat reminds me of Shannon's HPS...only prettier. :D

See, its all relative, but why put a high aspect bulb keel on a twin engined sport fishing motorsailer? That part doesn't make much sense to me.

Also, I think the only other sailboat I've seen outfitted with twin fighting chairs was the Stevens 53. Dare I say Jimmy's boat is easier on the eye than that beast too, sheesh wonder who drew that monster?

:D

Tom Scott

Super Anarchist
Oh my goodness! I had no idea talking about my old boat would lead to anything like this!

I'm not suggesting anyone sail their XXXXXXX 30 the way I sail my Morgan 30 - but they way I sail my Morgan 30 clearly annoys some of you?

I dunno...

More obviously, there sure is a lot of "stuff" being carried over from previous "battles" that is bubbling up here and stinking things up! What's with that?

I loitered here a LONG time before I ever posted, just to get a feel for the place. From that experience, I knew this "arguing stuff" happened here sometimes, but I never appreciated how things were on such a seemingly "hair-trigger".

I'd like to participate, share, and learn more within an on-line community. Maybe here?

But, I seldom TRY to piss people off. However, it seems some of you hang out here specifically TO piss people off! :blink:

I understand that my discussion drifted off the "topic" of Jimmy's new boat. Sorry 'bout that.

I started off "on topic", but in developing my points about Jimmy's boat design, I made inevitable comparisons with my own boat.

Then, Tom Ray mentioned my boat's tendency to heel ...WAIT! THIS IS ALL TOM RAY'S FAULT!!!! :angry:

I'll look for a more appropriate thread. I'm sorry I participated in the dirsruption of this one.

Tom Scott

P.S. Can anyone share a link on how to activate that "ignore" function I've heard about?

A

Amati

I'd tell you how to activate the ignore function, but I doubt if you'd receive it....

Bryanjb

Super Anarchist
Various
Tom, most of the guys here just want to talk boats. Most of us find thread drift amusing. Some guys like to stir things up good naturedly and mean no harm. A few weren't loved by their momma's and it shows. If momma couldn't love them we don't have to either.

And by guys I mean guys and gals....

Jose Carumba

Super Anarchist
Pugetopolis
"Nice", Amati. :wacko:

Perhaps this is not a good place for me.
What? Don't worry about the thread drift or the occasional crank who walks into this bar. Your post are fine. I sure enjoy them.
Edit: I would wager that Jimmy Buffet would go with the flow here and not worry about it.

py26129

Super Anarchist
Montreal
Tom, don't let the feces throwing chimps getc to you. I have thoroughly enjoyed your posts, pics and videos. Stick around, most of us are not that bad. Blame Tom Ray but carry on. ;-)

Owen

Super Anarchist
Camarillo
Foot against the companionway pics make me look forward to getting another keelboat when the time is right, thanks for the fun pics and vids. If you go back and re-dub "I'll marimba this" with "I remember you" by Skid Row, it could blow minds.

I think the boat in the original post would make a very streamlined hamster habitat.

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
Tom, this old woman really enjoys your posts, and esp the videos and pics of your much-loved boat. That boat is bonded to you like a sheepdog to a shepherd, and it's a real joy to watch.

So if one or two other posters are winding you up, just use the ignore function as much as you need to ... but please don't stop posting