John Bertrand: Racing on the Edge

Fireball

Anarchist
Yes - it's good to hear the Hall of Famers talk about this AC

JB makes the point that the AC is largely a design competition, just like F1. In this AC the design and the sailing have been particularly challenging. It's been great to watch.

Those who are expecting OD match racing just don't get it.

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
Aus won in 83 due to design and also out psyching their nyyc opponents.

Are ETNZ in a similar pos? I would have to think they are close.
If they do, it will be a miracle given how much of a head start Oracle had.

However, right now ETNZ are doing almost everything right and Oracle are scoring own goals all over the place.

Unless Oracle has some kind of rocket ship, I think they are done.

Sean

Super Anarchist
Sag Harbor, NY

However, right now ETNZ are doing almost everything right and Oracle are scoring own goals all over the place.

Come on Jay, you know better than that. Let's just hope for some close racing and let it play out on the water.

~HHN92~

Super Anarchist
Bertrand does not shoot off the hip, very reasoned and well spoken on the subject of an AC boat. No matter if it is the old mono-slugs or the foiling multi's.

I heard a story that Bertrand's dad (?) went around beefing-up parts on AIII after things would break because BL had designed parts waaay light, like the steering gear which broke in one race of the Cup match. Not sure if true but would fit the scenario JB is discussing.

edouard

Super Anarchist
Funny to see John Bertrand coming full circle from his book "Born to win : a lifelong struggle to capture the America's Cup". Today he says it's a design contest whereas at the time he was constantly bitching about Australia II and attributed victory mainly to his determination.

As much as I have fond memories of his era, I find it rather pathetic to see him, and other old glories, being paraded in painfully heavy sponsored PR "events". He's a few inches from wearing Oracle windbreaker and cap. Sad.

Auckland, NZ
Funny to see John Bertrand coming full circle from his book "Born to win : a lifelong struggle to capture the America's Cup". Today he says it's a design contest whereas at the time he was constantly bitching about Australia II and attributed victory mainly to his determination.

As much as I have fond memories of his era, I find it rather pathetic to see him, and other old glories, being paraded in painfully heavy sponsored PR "events". He's a few inches from wearing Oracle windbreaker and cap. Sad.
Agree, sad. but (very big) money talks...

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington

Come on Jay, you know better than that. Let's just hope for some close racing and let it play out on the water.
I am referring to the negative effects that the cheating scandal must be having on the team.

Not saying that ETNZ have it in the bag, just saying that OR are not exactly doing themselves any favours recently so OR will have had to designed a rocket ship in order to overcome these gaffes.

Sean

Super Anarchist
Sag Harbor, NY

I am referring to the negative effects that the cheating scandal must be having on the team.

Not saying that ETNZ have it in the bag, just saying that OR are not exactly doing themselves any favours recently so OR will have had to designed a rocket ship in order to overcome these gaffes.
I know what you were referring to. I stand by my reply.

Last edited by a moderator: