John MacAfee dts

Sean

Super Anarchist
Sag Harbor, NY
https://www.thedailybeast.com/fugitive-software-magnate-john-mcafee-found-dead-in-prison-cell-in-spain-reports-say

John McAfee Found Dead in Spanish Prison Cell

Software magnate John McAfee was found dead Wednesday afternoon in a Spanish prison cell just hours after the Spanish High Court authorized his extradition to the United States on tax evasion charges. McAfee was 75.

According to Spanish newspaper El Mundo, which cited a statement from the Catalan Departamento de Justicia confirming the death, attempts by jail staff to resuscitate McAfee were unsuccessful. Reutersconfirmed the department’s statement, which said the death was most likely a suicide.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fakenews

Super Anarchist
He was a strange dude and he possibly murdered someone.  He most certainly was a tax cheat.  A bad hombre, I’m sorry he escaped justice.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Not to be missed, weird fucker for sure. 

Why do they still call him a "Software Magnate"

Fucking eccentric dumbass is more like it. Hasn't had anything to do with software for what, 27 years?  And was only at his namesake for 7 years, from 87 to 94?

In August 2009, The New York Times reported that McAfee's personal fortune had declined to $4 million from a peak of $100 million, the effect of the financial crisis of 2007–2008 on his investments.[14]

(He bought Lehman bonds. Oops)

Last edited by a moderator:

gptyk

Anarchist
California
All anti-virus software is as bad as the dang virus's they supposedly guard against. 

The guy was a murderer and a slimeball, that did little to actually help software security. He dead now, too bad.

The_Real_XYZ

Super Anarchist
mi
All anti-virus software is as bad as the dang virus's they supposedly guard against. 
The code is all written by the same people.

Sort of like government.  Government started out as bandits robbing people, but if they didn't protect their victims from other robbers it would mean more work and less money for them.  Probably the same type of thing with insurance.  In the good old days in the US arson for profit was big, but if someone is paying you to not burn down their shop, and someone else burns it down, then you have more work to do.

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
Not to be missed, weird fucker for sure. 

Why do they still call him a "Software Magnate"

Fucking eccentric dumbass is more like it. Hasn't had anything to do with software for what, 27 years?  And was only at his namesake for 7 years, from 87 to 94?

In August 2009, The New York Times reported that McAfee's personal fortune had declined to $4 million from a peak of $100 million, the effect of the financial crisis of 2007–2008 on his investments.[14]

(He bought Lehman bonds. Oops)
Only 4M.  Poor bastard.  I wish I had that much.

OTOH, I haven't had anti-virus software installed on any of the house computers for around 10 years now.  We never have problems, especially now that the kids are out of the house and not trying to download cheats for their games.