John McCain DTS

Charlie Foxtrot

Super Anarchist
Floriduh
We're better for having him gone.

A courageous military man, turned bitter, self-aggrandizing, cantankerous, old fool. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
I was hoping he could live to see Trump impeached.

RIP Capt.

image.png

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
He wasn't perfect but he was so much better than many.  He will be missed  RIP.

Grabbler

Grabbler
Fucker's up there smoking ribs with his buddy and mine Boss Hog...Vale John McCain, an honorable life well lived...

Innocent Bystander

Super Anarchist
Lower Southern MD
Tough way to go. Never perfect but far better than most on the Hill today. Had a small group lunch with him many years ago and found him remarkably open and frank about working within an imperfect system and even the Keating 5 debacle. 

RIP my fellow Naval Aviator. You fought a long, hard fight. 

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
From there, he headed to Pensacola, Fla., to be trained as a Navy pilot and continue the rowdy existence of his days at the academy.
One girlfriend at the time was a stripper who went by the professional name Marie, the Flame of Florida. Sen. McCain recalled taking her as his date to a party of young officers and their mannerly wives. Marie became bored, drew a switchblade from her purse, popped it open and cleaned her fingernails.

What a nice item in your obit!

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC
His suffering is over but I am sad to see him go.

I think a lot of his acting up was to show that he wasn't coasting on his father's position. Then the North Vietnamese tortured him to show that they would treat an admiral's son that way, a calculated insult to the U.S.

A good man, a shame there aren't more like him

-DSK

G

We're better for having him gone.

A courageous military man, turned bitter, self-aggrandizing, cantankerous, old fool. 
I could not disagree more.  He was a very flawed human being for sure, but FAR better than most in politics today.  By a long stretch.  We are way worse off for losing him.  

The man pretty much gave his entire adult life to public service.  And with a few exceptions, served honorably and nobly.  Not many walking the planet can say the same.  

G

Given he was a Naval Aviator, this is appropriate:

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, --and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of --Wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air...
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark or even eagle flew --
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California
He endured more as a result of his service to our country than 99.9% of us will ever face. Agree with his politics or not, he then was elected and reelected by the people he served for 30 years. I respect that immensely. A lifelong Republican until the party left my values behind, I did not vote for him in 2008 because I judged him too quick to anger and thus not suitable to be POTUS. My assessment of that unsuitability for that role does not mean he was not worthy of my respect for so many other of his contributions and dedication. People are not monoliths and are certainly fallible. He knew that as well. Still having lost his bid for the presidency he did not slink off in anger and pout continuously publicly blaming everyone else for his loss. He accepted the judgement of the American people and continued to serve. 

Fair Winds Captain. Thank you for your service sir.

Bump-n-Grind

Get off my lawn.
Chesapeake Bay/Vail
He endured more as a result of his service to our country than 99.9% of us will ever face. Agree with his politics or not, he then was elected and reelected by the people he served for 30 years. I respect that immensely. A lifelong Republican until the party left my values behind, I did not vote for him in 2008 because I judged him too quick to anger and thus not suitable to be POTUS. My assessment of that unsuitability for that role does not mean he was not worthy of my respect for so many other of his contributions and dedication. People are not monoliths and are certainly fallible. He knew that as well. Still having lost his bid for the presidency he did not slink off in anger and pout continuously publicly blaming everyone else for his loss. He accepted the judgement of the American people and continued to serve. 

Fair Winds Captain. Thank you for your service sir.
this