JPK launched the first 1030 yesterday in a growing field of 32 ft do everything boats

The new do everything, 32-33 ft racer cruiser, shorthanded, weapon of mass fun market just became a little more crowded with the first JPK 1030 splashing yesterday.  Interesting to me how the JPK 1030, J/99, Sunfast 3300, Ofcet 32, Figaro, and probably a couple others (Pogo?) seem to have all emerged around the same time.  Coincidence?  Result of secret spy intel amongst designers and builders?  Just a response to the growing market for shorthanded ocean racers?  Will MacGregor come out with a new motor sailor of the same genre?  :D

The JPK 1030 gets my vote but I'm biased.  I seriously considered ordering a 1030 a while ago but found a used 1080 that didn't require waiting 2 years.  Will be interesting to see how the 1030 does in the Spi Ouest France in a couple weeks.  The first JPK 1030 just splashed yesterday, not much time to get it dialed in but I'm sure JP will get her figured out and moving fast.

Link to english translation JPK website: https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.jpk.fr/&prev=search

English translation Article https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=search&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=fr&sp=nmt4&u=https://www.ouest-france.fr/bretagne/lorient-56100/lorient-le-chantier-naval-jpk-composites-met-son-dernier-ne-l-eau-6304112&xid=25657,15700019,15700186,15700191,15700253,15700256,15700259&usg=ALkJrhiJUxjuFSwaOSQPCfzasgX263oajw

IMG_5965.JPG

JPK_-_01.jpeg

Miffy

Super Anarchist
You're probably thinking of the MMW 33? Pogo isn't really in the racing rating market - a lot of Pogo 30s on the Transquadra but generally not top performers (at least until Pogo recently increased the mast length).

You're probably thinking of the MMW 33? Pogo isn't really in the racing rating market - a lot of Pogo 30s on the Transquadra but generally not top performers (at least until Pogo recently increased the mast length).
Ah, that would explain why I couldn't think of a Pogo in this category.  Just sort of assumed there was one that I didn't know about though as you can see I'm not very well versed on all the Pogo models.  Nice boats from what I see and hear however!

Miffy

Super Anarchist
Pogos are great boats. The yard released the Loxo powerboat & is working on the foiling 6.5 - I don't think they're short for orders on the 36.

Nothing wrong with the 30, just perhaps conceptually too optimized for heavy downwind sailing fast and easy at the expense of everything else. In light air - a 3 ton boat with a 3.5 meter wide arse struggles a little. 

Very cool boat and excited to see the growing popularity of shorthanded racing and venues here in the the States, which until now has been  asleep at the switch.  From an owner's perspective, not having to recruit, train and retain a big crew, or deal with the inevitable issues with logistics, expense, clashing egos, and most of all- the loads generated on the boat by a big crew- is a breath of fresh air on the sport.

solosailor

Super Anarchist
San Francisco Bay
You know shorthanded racing has not been asleep in the SF Bay for decades.....    another SSS race with over 100 singlehanded and doublehanded boats out tomorrow.  See you out there.

No doubt about it.  Huge fleet doing the 'Round The Rocks race.  See you on the agua- should be a lovely day.....I'm picking you to win your division!  (No pressure or anything!) 

But my question: Why weren't any of the new Euro boats (Figaro 3, Pogo, Jeanneau Sunfast, JPK 1030, etc.) at the recent boat show in Richmond?  In fact- they NEVER are.  It's just J-Boats, J-Boats and more J-Boats.  Our biggest boat show is so lame without these on display.  Makes us continue to look like the backwater of modern racing mono hulls.  Just saying.

Why the old school keel - $$?
It only looks old school, most of the lead is concentrated in the bottom of the keel.  Like DFL1010 mentioned it helps with the rating and there was a lot of discussion in the SF 3300 thread about it.  Like everything to do with boats there are many that like it and many that don't.  Fin keel is theoretically faster downwind and hull shapes like this in addition to a double rudder offer more than enough stability without a bulb.  Earlier JPK's offered an option for bulb keel but were found to be unnecessary thus starting with the 1080 it wasn't even offered as an option.  If someone wanted one I'm sure Jean Pierre would build it that way but it's not necessary for these boats.  

But my question: Why weren't any of the new Euro boats (Figaro 3, Pogo, Jeanneau Sunfast, JPK 1030, etc.) at the recent boat show in Richmond?  In fact- they NEVER are.  It's just J-Boats, J-Boats and more J-Boats.  Our biggest boat show is so lame without these on display.  Makes us continue to look like the backwater of modern racing mono hulls.  Just saying.
J/Boats knows how to market boats, that's for sure!  I agree though, would be really nice to see something other than 30 different varieties of cruisers and a few J/boats but unfortunately those are probably the boats that sell in quantities and the companies that value marketing.

I can't speak for the other builders but JPK in particular does very little marketing or advertising and mostly just relies on word of mouth and reputation.  From what I've read and heard Jean Pierre prefers to remain a small operation and I hope it stays that way.  I think he goes to a few select boat shows close to home but that's about it for marketing and advertising.  He seems to prefer remaining very hands on, if you go to the yard he's covered in fiberglass with the rest of the guys, if you email JPK he's the one who emails you back, want to order a JPK he's the guy you speak with, tech questions he's the guy you speak with, want to put hot-pink colored cushions in your boat, he's the guy who will (or will not) arrange for that to happen.  The demand is there for him to sell more and get bigger, there's about a 1-2 year waiting list to get a boat from the time you order but as far as I know he has no plans to grow any bigger.

Interesting article about a visit to his yard if anyone is interested: http://no-frills-sailing.com/jean-pierre-kelbert-jpk-yachts/

Last edited by a moderator:

ctutmark

Super Anarchist
PNW
It only looks old school, most of the lead is concentrated in the bottom of the keel.  Like DFL1010 mentioned it's helps with the rating and there was a lot of discussion in the SF 3300 thread about it.  Like everything to do with boats there are many that like it and many that don't.  Fin keel is theoretically faster downwind and hull shapes like this in addition to a double rudder offer more than enough stability without a bulb.  Earlier JPK's offered an option for bulb keel but were found to be unnecessary thus starting with the 1080 it wasn't even offered as an option.  If someone wanted one I'm sure Jean Pierre would build it that way but it's not necessary for these boats.  

J/Boats knows how to market boats, that's for sure!  I agree though, would be really nice to see something other than 30 different varieties of cruisers and a few J/boats but unfortunately those are probably the boats that sell in quantities and the companies that value marketing.

I can't speak for the other builders but JPK in particular does very little marketing or advertising and mostly just relies on word of mouth and reputation.  From what I've read and heard Jean Pierre prefers to remain a small operation and I hope it stays that way.  I think he goes to a few select boat shows close to home but that's about it for marketing and advertising.  He seems to prefer remaining very hands on, if you go to the yard he's covered in fiberglass with the rest of the guys, if you email JPK he's the one who emails you back, want to order a JPK he's the guy you speak with, tech questions he's the guy you speak with, want to put hot-pink colored cushions in your boat, he's the guy who will (or will not) arrange for that to happen.  The demand is there for him to sell more and get bigger, there's about a 1-2 year waiting list to get a boat from the time you order but as far as I know he has no plans to grow any bigger.

Interesting article about a visit to his yard if anyone is interested: http://no-frills-sailing.com/jean-pierre-kelbert-jpk-yachts/
I will second these comments about JPK and expand them to Structures (Pogo) too. Structures does not have a dealer network and their order books are completely full for the next couple of years so the hassle and expense of coming to North America really doesn't net out for them. This includes some boats sold to NA buyers too.  As for Beneteau and Jeanneau they both make conscious marketing decisions to cater to the Oceanis and Sun Odyssey portion of the market in NA. These two companies are under the same ownership and this marketing seems to be working for them so it's difficult to say whether this will change. That said, both Beneteau and Jeanneau dealers will gladly help you order one their racier boats if you bring your checkbook. If you just want to kick fenders then you'll likely need to go to Europe. The Grand Pavois in La Rochelle is a great one to see all of the above mentioned boats

Miffy

Super Anarchist
The racing scene tends to have consumers who will spend the time and effort to research it themselves and visit for a test sail or race on another's boat.

Boat shows in the eastern US is much more focused on powerboats, comfort condos and wood trimmed heavy cruisers. 

LeoV

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
JPK have been busy with this line for 15 years, Pogo even longer. That J Boats and Dehler steps in shows the market is mature.
There was a Canadian yard doing similar work 15 years ago, they did not sell. They had a nice design. ( not the Andrews 28, a small racer/cruiser 26 ft double rudders, offshore )

LeoV

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
^^^^ Yep, so it was 12 yrs ago :) Liked the design.

Precourt yard,

but found this Kalon design of his hands too, build in Quebec ... if only they found enough customers and develop better boats, like Pogo and JPK were able to do. Htey just did not drop out of the air, J and Dehler are jumping on the bandwagon.
82f1e3_03b885a253d6463ab2738efd70557eed.webp