Juan K's new TP

In case you didn't notice how radical that new bow is have a look at these...

I don't know if I should be shocked or afraid.

P1020547.JPG

P1020543.JPG

P1020541.JPG

kiwi4shore

Anarchist
Any pics of it straight on like the first shot,but showing more of the underwater shape and how that bow merges in?

Somebody Else

a person of little consequence
PNW
Clients are all following the chine fad. This one seems a little extreme. Who know? Might sail great...

The bigger the boat, the harder it is to sail it to a precise angle of heel, which chines or any hard-bilged boat wants.

Designers do what clients pay for.

Builders do what designers give them.

Setting aside the chines...

In rules with length overall limits, it seems some folks think a fine/pointed bow is a waste of effective length. I recall the Russian Volvo boat was similarly blunt, and that was the reason that boat's designer (Humphreys?) gave.

GBH

Anarchist
mostly Oz
Fat bows are fast eh? In the tank or CFD will tell you that but real world and punching into a seaway? Maybe the idea is to frighten the water out of the way and then slide the rest of the boat through the hole - that was what an AC mate suggested anyway. Don't think that Humphreys thing was ever quick so if that was the theory there then best to try another one maybe ;) Another designer experiment paid for by the PBO i'd reckon.

Manolo

In case you didn't notice how radical that new bow is have a look at these...

I don't know if I should be shocked or afraid.
"Shocked or afraid"....seems a little bit out of proportion. Juan K has been offering all kinds of innovations since he knows how to sail. The question is:"TP rulers will allow it IF it does make a difference in boat speed?"

Manolo

GBH

Anarchist
mostly Oz
Sometimes things that work within the limits of a handicap or box rule are not the most elegant or efficient solution.

Not an issue for the TP rule in this case - can do what you want pretty much in terms of shapes.

Anyway, nothing new here yet again, those with very long memories might recall Pommie One tonner Chartreuse from ? 75 or so that had the same bow on it. Dynamite in light airs and downhill, upwind in seaway not. Be interesting to see how the boat shapes up, but it should be more optimized than the rest so should have an advantage from that aspect.

Looking at this image:

isle%20of%20wight.jpg

I can see why this might work. One tonners towed a hell of a lot more water than a TP does so the benefits may come in entirely different areas.

By "afraid" I mean I'd be 'afraid it was going to be really fast and I'm not sailing on it'

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at this image:

isle%20of%20wight.jpg

I can see why this might work. One tonners towed a hell of a lot more water than a TP does so the benefits may come in entirely different areas.

By "afraid" I mean I'd be 'afraid it was going to be really fast and I'm not sailing on it'
I do not think this is it... I believe this is RIO (the old JV Stay Clam) sailing in the UK at the Easter Regatta. The JK boat is in Spain (NZ?).

The sprit and deck should give it away.

1270334367[/url]' post='2799803']I do not think this is it... I believe this is RIO (the old JV Stay Clam) sailing in the UK at the Easter Regatta. The JK boat is in Spain (NZ?).

The sprit and deck should give it away.
I know this isn't the new Juan K boat.. The images are of two racially different bow designs.

I was saying that if you look at the way the bow is riding up out of the water on that older boat it's pretty clear why this new design could be fast in the right conditions.

Latest posts