Jury Decision

GauchoGreg

Super Anarchist
As I understand it, all 'safety' amendments to the class rule are declared null and void - so they revert to their state before the recommendations were issued. Now during the media day, PC mentioned they had 'pre-safety rules' compliant rudders, and a set of post safety rules rudders.

Surely they can now use the first set and measure?
No, just the recommendation regarding the rudder wings/length etc. The others are agreed to by all parties.
And the extra 100KG is also out. That may now be the biggest hurdle for AR, as they can comply with the rudders.

Dixie

Reporters
SF
84. The Captains explained the role with respect to the maritime environment.

That role includes regulating commercial traffic and recreational users of the Bay. It

does not include imposing design regulations on the event participants. They also

explained the process by which an Event Sponsor obtains a Marine Event Permit.
And this from a witness called by ACRM!
There's little doubt in my mind that ACRM knew this better than anyone including our fair readers. JC has been working with the USCG in SF - navigating the waters for racing near and over the shipping lanes with the CG and VSC -for years. The purpose of this witness (my take) is to get all of the facts around this out in the open, and in particular to the jury.

After a very quick review, here are some summary points -- disclaimer, I said very quick . . .

* Regatta Notice 188, which did not deal with the Class Rule, is upheld.

* Regatta Notice 189, which has the effect of changing the Class Rule, is ordered by the Jury to be withdrawn.

* The Class Rule as it stood prior to RN 189 is now back in effect.

* The Jury does not see the Marine Permit as a binding law that overrides the consent-of-all-teams requirement for Class Rule changes.

* The "Event Sponsor" must now tell the USCG that there will be a difference in the event.

* The Jury believes that all teams are entitled to chime in to the USCG about the change -- not just GGYC.

* (My commentary: It will be interesting to see what the USCG does if they get mixed feedback, but the Jury decision summarizes USCG testimony in a way that seems like they have said in many ways that they don't really get into the business of vessel design issues.)

* The Jury praised the Regatta Director as experienced and impartial, but upheld the jurisdictional objection.

* The Jury didn't give AR a pass on the new rules, as they did not see clear authority to do so.

* The Jury did offer mediation services (my speculation: perhaps to deal with AR issue).

* The Jury "specifically reminds" all competitors to comply with the rule prohibiting acts that tarnish the reputation of the Cup and noted that (unnamed) competitors had made "inflammatory" comments. But no finding was made as to whether these comments crossed the line and were sanctionable.

* The Jury was invited to use its own authority to change the Class Rule, in the absence of the RD having the authority. The Jury seems to believe that it is not sufficiently clear that the Jury could have done this, so they declined to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:

sam75

Boston, MA
This from the GGYC's submission:

"If the Safety Recommendations were cherry picked, GGYC would face huge liability issues and the Regatta is likely not to continue."

Great news from the IJ

I just hope IM can take it in his stride and not pull the pin on the whole game

Also, I hope PC and AR don't quit. I felt sorry for guys like NO who are desperate to be out there racing and pulling all stops to get the boat going. They'll be hugely disappointed if all their efforts are for nothing.

I hope all competitors can follow ETNZ’s lead and collectively grant AR a dispensation to race with non-protocol legal rudders. Something that was outside the IJ's power to allow, but surely ok via unanimous agreement.

It would be a sporting gesture amid the acrimony.

And we are back to where we should have been 3+ weeks ago...get the teams in a room and decide what changes they can ALL agree to, then change them. yeah! Now we see how IM handles the slap on the wrists (on in the face). Does he now say the regatta isn't safe like he threatened to do and force the CG to rescind the permit, or does he concede that these weren't required for a safe regatta? Would that get him fired?

Xlot

Super Anarchist
Rome
now we will soon see how the or will perform with old style winglets in the bearaway?? should be veeery interesting to watch??
There are no legal "old style winglets" - there's a tiny, afaik untested asymmetrical elevator stabilizer without a convenient trim tab (I suppose AoA adjustment range via rudder rake is more limited). Am waiting for alert poster eric e's graphic manipulation to know if it's even 0.22 m2 , as claimed by TS. The only thing going for it is it's orange! :D

pjfranks

Super Anarchist
i'm loving it
This from the GGYC's submission:

"If the Safety Recommendations were cherry picked, GGYC would face huge liability issues and the Regatta is likely not to continue."
isn't that what im said he would do as well? can the regatta if he didn't get his way? will RN190 will cancel the show?

GauchoGreg

Super Anarchist
Great news from the IJ

I just hope IM can take it in his stride and not pull the pin on the whole game

Also, I hope PC and AR don't quit. I felt sorry for guys like NO who are desperate to be out there racing and pulling all stops to get the boat going. They'll be hugely disappointed if all their efforts are for nothing.

I hope all competitors can follow ETNZ’s lead and collectively grant AR a dispensation to race with non-protocol legal rudders. Something that was outside the IJ's power to allow, but surely ok via unanimous agreement.

It would be a sporting gesture amid the acrimony.
THAT would be a GREAT move! It seems like it should be a relatively obvious solution at this point. The teams could all go unanimous consent on the 35 rules, then give AR life. It would absolutely allow for the event to go on in the best possible form, retain the rules, and maximize safety.

The only thing I had been opposed to was changing the rules with moving goal-posts, which would have precluded AR from racing while actually complying with two separate sets of rules. But if the teams could account for that, and mutually consent to such a solution, then everyone wins but OR, and I'm fine with that, even though I'm an OR supporter.

pjfranks

Super Anarchist
i'm loving it
now we will soon see how the or will perform with old style winglets in the bearaway?? should be veeery interesting to watch??
There are no legal "old style winglets" - there's a tiny, afaik untested asymmetrical elevator stabilizer without a convenient trim tab (I suppose AoA adjustment range via rudder rake is more limited). Am waiting for alert poster eric e's graphic manipulation to know if it's even 0.22 m2 , as claimed by TS. The only thing going for it is it's orange! :D
stabilizers, whatever you say, it'll still be veeery interesting don't you think?