JY-15....Heinous Piece of Shit.

Wasn't Me

I sailed one of these Heinus peice of shits for a season and that was enough.

You need to be a crew of miniture east coast uptite shits to keep the weight down so it will move.

Definately not for two adult midwest PBR drinking ( married ) folks to race competatively.

At the N. A. 's the top dogs all brought their under 10 children for crew.

Over 230 lbs in boat and there is no way you can compete.

To top it off........the damn plastic hull busted all up while in my barn waiting for it sell.

My MC is new love, and I don't have to take my wife with.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheBoathouse

Super Anarchist
I sailed one of Heinus peice of shits for a season and that was enough.You need to be a crew of miniture east coast uptite shits to keep the weight down so it will move.

Definately not for two adult ( married ) folks to race competatively.

At the N. A. 's the top dogs all brought their under 10 children for crew.

Over 230 lbs in boat and there is no way you can compete.

To top it off........the damn plastic hull busted all up while in my barn waiting for it sell.

My MC is new love, and I don't have to take my wife with.
Its funny the original concept of the JY was a two person adult dinghy...Sounds like they never instituted a minimum crew weight or the removed it so you could race with your kids. They are pretty tough but awful to repair once holed. Need a blow torch and lots of plastic cement...Funniest thing I ever saw was at Buzzards Bay Regatta the first year the came out they had no spreaders (soon to be corrected) and as soon as the boats rounded the weather mark in 20+ knots each and every mast inverted and snapped.

hmm, as skipper you dont want to roll tack these things, there is nothing to grab onto to get back in the boat. The rudders suck, they constantly stall, and its a pain in the ass to steer these boats downwind in any kind of wind. Pluss the damn thing is so slippery that a large wave can and has swept people off of the back of them.

BH, thanks for the neat mental image of mast dominos.

torrid

Super Anarchist
I owned one for all of two months. The helm was complete mush. The cockpit is a skating rink. There's no comfortable way to sit, so you have to kneel (and better have kneepads). Some people love the class, but it was the worst boat I ever sailed.

Gouvernail

Lottsa people don’t know I’m famous
Austin Texas
Every one of them around here has cracked, become hopeless, and gone to the dump.
That boat was a bad idea tgst wasted a lot of money that could have gone into sailboats that rifled

RobbieB

Super Anarchist
Charleston, SC
I had one during it's hayday in the early 2000's. Raced the SW circuit in Texas where it typically blows 15-20 everywhere. I had a small crew, but we were still at 330ish on weight. That worked fine for the breeze range. All points made above are 100% accurate. I bought the boat new for $5,500 and sold it 2 years later for $4,500. I think it was the highest resale value ever recorded for the boat and I'm pretty sure St. Peter will remind me of that favor when I see him at the pearly gates....

Xeon

Super Anarchist
England
I'm definitely having a flashback. At least now I understand all the hate some people have for the Laser class. That is how I still feel about the JY-15.
The big difference being old Lasers/ILCA last for decades which is one of its strengths as a class.
Tbh I think there is very little hate for the laser and the class . For so many of us it’s been a huge part of our sailing lives and we only want the best for it.
The problem is some laser sailors think every comment on the web somewhere suggesting any change, is an attack on the class.
It’s not , it just a option .
Only ILCA members have the power to change things within the class and long may that continue.

Last edited:

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
I'm definitely having a flashback. At least now I understand all the hate some people have for the Laser class. That is how I still feel about the JY-15.

Y'know, I understand all the complaints but I actually liked the JY-15. But then, the choice was between them and FJs/420s so it was easy.

My biggest complaint was the spring-loaded pin holding the centerboard in place, corroded and could not be released without cutting a chunk out of the boat.

Another is that the manufacturing was VERY inexact. There was no way to consistently tune the boats, as the mast steps were slightly differently placed and the shroud wires were slightly different lengths and the mast partners was a piece of plastic hose. When another boat consistently outpointed you, don't even bother to check their tuning and try to copy....

But the slippery complaint, yeah. It was like an ice rink. Easily fixed with shower decals, though. I put mermaids and cartoon fish in one boat, sea shells and sand castles in another, and I think bunny heads in another (whatever they had on sale at Bed Bath & Beyond)

bloodshot

Super Anarchist
United States
for some reason , they are a boat of choice in eastern CT for frostbiting. would have to spray the thing in kiwigrip before i sailed one of them in March

Gouvernail

Lottsa people don’t know I’m famous
Austin Texas
Once you've blocked all the truly deranged posters in PA subforum the threads there are almost empty so you get to read deeper into the dinghy forum.
That would be a close bit no cigar.

What happened??
I was opening a thread and got sidetracked . When I came back I didn’t realize I was looking at the list of threads rather than the single thread.
I clicked on the number thing at the top that usually eoukd take me to the most recent page, but I actually sent myself to the oldest page of Dinghy Anarchy.
As I have two JY 15 “everything but the hull snd deck” I clicked on the thread to see if somebody happened to be searching for JY parts.

I didn’t realize I had resurrected an ancient thread until a few minutes ago.

My hatred for these boats still seethes at piercing levels. Several years after I last posted in this thread I was coaching. I watched a 420 and a JY15 get in a fight. The 420 won. The JY, and the director who repaired the damn thing, lost.

I would absolutely rather teach learn to sail in a 420 than a JY. Any day.

Latest posts