Karver KPW 4 speed winches

Anyone have recent experience with the Karver KPW winches (was Pontos before the Karver buy-out)....? I'm looking at the KPW110 model. Issues with maintenance or longevity of the clutch?

Also looks like they are  in stock at $3,400+ in Europe and the UK but I see them on Defender at $2,540 but Out Of Stock / Backordered. https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?name=karver-kpw110-extra-power-winch&path=-1|118|2358547|2358549&id=6516651 

Fisheries used to sell them at $1,700  Any advice on a where to look for them?

Techtoy

Auckland
I see karver has dropped the grinder and trimmer monikers - so the KPW is what i would call the load “ reducer” model. We have the KSW model on our primaries and one halyard winch and the KPW model on our mainsheet (german system so 2 to 1 effectively) and the halyard winch that does fro and jib. We love the KSW’s - really make a difference. The KPW is less identifiable as fantastic but still good - ie i would do it again. The halyard setup is probably best - under full load is easy to get on a bit more tension. On the mainsheet on longer races with a lot of sheet movement it probably means fatigue is reduced - but i feel it probably chops down the gearing under load earlier than ideal - so that means a lot of winching to move the sheet when changing course/ rounding marks etc.

Overall reliability had never been an issue and really easy to service - so if we did a new boat we would use them again.

I see karver has dropped the grinder and trimmer monikers - so the KPW is what i would call the load “ reducer” model. We have the KSW model on our primaries and one halyard winch and the KPW model on our mainsheet (german system so 2 to 1 effectively) and the halyard winch that does fro and jib. We love the KSW’s - really make a difference. The KPW is less identifiable as fantastic but still good - ie i would do it again. The halyard setup is probably best - under full load is easy to get on a bit more tension. On the mainsheet on longer races with a lot of sheet movement it probably means fatigue is reduced - but i feel it probably chops down the gearing under load earlier than ideal - so that means a lot of winching to move the sheet when changing course/ rounding marks etc.

Overall reliability had never been an issue and really easy to service - so if we did a new boat we would use them again.
Thank-you for the recommendation. We need the extra trimmer power of the KPW at 1:110 for our jib loads that approach 1,200 pounds at times, usually when were sailing in 30 kn winds and above, and the boat is doing mid to high teens.

>>> I see your from Auckland... We're in Kerikeri and Whangarei... Where did you purchase your Karver winches from?

T-Boy,

We went ahead and ordered two of the KPW110's from Hurricane Rigging. Matt in Picton was awsome, great price and service. I can understand why you have worked with them on two boats now

Thanks,

John