Keel Damage - Anyone have any ideas on what caused this?

ftbinc

Chciago
the boat is in the cradle at the yard, on inspection of the leading edge of the keel has damage. We are all at a loss on what caused this damage - it was not damaged two weeks before the boat was hauled out (We Cleaned the bottom and the foils were in great shape then)

This is a 38 footer, fairly new 3 (year old) racer cruiser, their is a gouge about the size of a little finger where the lead is heavily deformed about 18 inches down from the hull, then regular marks (and small gouges) down about another 15-18 below the large gouge. The marks are pretty regular down both sides of the leading edge of the keel.

Does anyone have any idea what may have caused this type of damage?

Thanks in advance!

keel 1.jpg

keel2.jpg

familysailor

Super Anarchist
San Francisco Bay
The answer in all 20 or so threads is the same. Chain on mooring buoy. Do you hang your boat on a buoy during your sailing season? Or, did you moor or anchor since you last dove on the boat?

If the answer is yes to any or all of the questions you have the most likely answer.

I'm still leaning toward a Russian sub...

douglas

Super Anarchist
vancouver bc
Does the travel lift have straps that split in the middle, or are they continuous? If split, the steel pin and locking assembly could have rubbed up the keel. If the straps are prone to spreading, the straps could be held in place with a chain, which could also have done damage. Or as mentioned... anchor chain, mooring ball chain... or someone you race wants you slower.

ftbinc

Chciago
Armo

They all want us slower. We are not on a mooring ball we are in a slip. The travel lift might br with inspecting. I will look

Thanks

Does the travel lift have straps that split in the middle, or are they continuous? If split, the steel pin and locking assembly could have rubbed up the keel. If the straps are prone to spreading, the straps could be held in place with a chain, which could also have done damage. Or as mentioned... anchor chain, mooring ball chain... or someone you race wants you slower.
I pretty much agree with all of that other than the travel lift slings & pins. That bit's not feasible to me.

Actually, thinking about it I'd say the sabotage angle is out as well. :)

voodoochile

Anarchist
Hampton, Va
I'm looking hard at the pics....is there fairing under the paint there at the leading edge? If so it may have gotten water in it from the gouge and is blistering off - ie wrong fairing compound.

warbird

Super Anarchist
lake michigan
It sure seems like some one anchored to close and swung with the wind or current. The sequence up/down seems like a shackle to rode getting pulled lower and lower or higher and higher after the tackle hooked your keel. The gouges are wakes (motorboat) rockin. Boat pulled locally or delivered up the lake?

Ishmael

Fuctifino
If you weren't there when the boat was hauled, there is a possibility that whoever drove the boat to the lift hit something like a submerged fence.

Or voodoo.

European Bloke

Super Anarchist
I think some got fed up with how meany threads you started, so they got in their time machine and went back and fucked up your boat.

BobBill

Super Anarchist
SE Minnesota.
I would say, simple chaining by kids...depending on location in city. Any other keels affected? Kids sometimes just do weird mischief and your boat happened to be it, but one cannot rule out other yard events. Where stored?