Key west Race Week

trimfast

Anarchist
There's a reason why people break stuff in these conditions. Being prepared!. Whether it is being fully prepared with maintenance, or knowing how to race in these conditions. The lack of both seems to be the ultimate reason race committees are now having people stay ashore. Well, also the great lack of common sense in our world with sue happy people!

This is why you need some fat guys on the crew list.
But in 25 knots of wind the Flying Tiger would be in Havana by tonight.
More backstay...wind on the uppers...strap the $hit out of the cunningham...hike your ass off up the hill, get to the back of the buss downhill. Even on an FT10 22-25 is manageable. Just seems to be a shame to lose an epic day in less than 30 knots of wind.
ohh.. the boat is capable.
It's been 25-30 all day. Right or wrong, there would be a helluva lot of carnage on the second day of the regatta.

Last edited by a moderator:

DryArmour

Super Anarchist
More backstay...wind on the uppers...strap the $hit out of the cunningham...hike your ass off up the hill, get to the back of the buss downhill. Even on an FT10 22-25 is manageable. Just seems to be a shame to lose an epic day in less than 30 knots of wind.
ohh.. the boat is capable.
It's been 25-30 all day. Right or wrong, there would be a helluva lot of carnage on the second day of the regatta.
At 1:50PM it wound back down to 22 G 24. They could have gotten in at least two races between 2 and 5PM. Uggg. Should not be carnage under 25 knots unless you are on a MOTH or an AC72 IMHO.

shaggy

Super Anarchist
Co
^ number 3!??

Most of the boats sailing KW are on 3's in anything over 18kts...

In 35, they'd all be overpowered w 3's alone.
Been sailing OD and in little boats too long I am afraid... So 4's then... principal is still the same.... :)

DryArmour

Super Anarchist
IMHO they missed what could have been one of the all time epic days on the water today but that is easy for me to say sitting 2750 miles away in my warm office. It was cold today (by Key West standards) and the wind was counter to the current big time. Quite the washing machine I am being told by someone on Race Management. I was a little surprised to hear that they didn't expect that much wind...While it was at the upper range of our forecast envelope it was still pretty spot on from here in the "Weather Center". :). Tomorrow will be more mellow..Still fun...and no rain drops til Friday.

Old Motel

Was Blair Mcarthys adventures yesterday caused by SA version of the Sports Illustrated cover Jinx ?

Just wondering lot of Voodo down that way.

jesposito

Super Anarchist
IMHO they missed what could have been one of the all time epic days on the water today but that is easy for me to say sitting 2750 miles away in my warm office. It was cold today (by Key West standards) and the wind was counter to the current big time. Quite the washing machine I am being told by someone on Race Management. I was a little surprised to hear that they didn't expect that much wind...While it was at the upper range of our forecast envelope it was still pretty spot on from here in the "Weather Center". :). Tomorrow will be more mellow..Still fun...and no rain drops til Friday.
Mark

tried to send you a PM their seems to be a problem

Is you mailbox full?

Marktried to send you a PM their seems to be a problem

Is you mailbox full?
He doesn't sell tights for men. Try Lululemon.

Snaggletooth

SA's Morrelle Compasse

Is you mailbox full?
Expo dossent weare liatardes!!!!

jesposito

Super Anarchist

Is you mailbox full?
I guess you would know.

us7070

Super Anarchist
RC is planning on abandoning today, posted on the regatta web site blog.
From the website:

The CURRENT Plan of the Day for ALL CLASSES:

Due to the conditions on the race course, The Race Committee will announce at 1030 that RACING is Abandoned for today.

We have an excellent forecast for tomorrow and Thursday and an improving forecast for Friday.

The windiest station in the area is 27knots Gust 31. Most are 22 G 25. People came from all over the world to race for just four days and they are abandoning and not postponing for 27 knots? What has become of our sport?
Fucking pathetic!!That is why there are so many hacks in the sport today, nobody sail in 25K of breeze anymore.
most of the stations are not well situated to show the wind on the race course when it's north of east

Sand key is probably a better representation of the race course conditions, and it was a bit windier than 22-25kts

units are mph - so say a consistent 27kts w gusts

sand key.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

DryArmour

Super Anarchist
Mark

tried to send you a PM their seems to be a problem

Is you mailbox full?
Again? Uggg. I will go make some space now.

Hitchhiker

Hoopy Frood
Saquo-Pilia Hensha
You seem to be the only one asking - the demand for it seems to have dried up
Actually a lot of us would like to see coverage, just quiet about it, and looking elsewhere since you guys have stopped covering it.
You can't see thru Mr Cleans bullshit answer?54 boats in one division? A brand new high performance 30 foot class with 12 boats ?

Rolex yachtsman of the year? New organizers with decades of proven track record and top tier sponsors? Come on man! So much to cover down there. There is a shitload of social media covering this already. Our tools are spending more energy on a M32 racing phrf in a shitbox club division in San Diego and talking about dengue fever. Sponsors as leaving SA, not KWRW. All the pros are in key west this week. When this guy was proposing to his wife down there it was the coolest place in the world. Now he's on the outside looking in, so it's insignificant.

I can get him press creds if he's been turned down. If he shows he can be my date at the STC party I'd be happy to bring him.
It's AWESOME. I mean, Key West is like christmas, new year's, and all stripper's day rolled up in one!

Sorry we do not have more awesome coverage to all the freeloaders out there. I feel terrible!
Fucking pathetic!!

It was always Springer. That's certainly what sucked me in. Maybe it was something else in 2003 before I came on board, but I wouldn't know. That was about a hundred years ago.

For those looking for live coverage, I believe Mauro might be doing something. I just got an alert, but have to run.

http://livestream.com/zerogradinord/quantumkeywestraceweek2016?origin=stream_live&mixpanel_id=f7af288dac725-0235cb5e8-43681f0a-2ee000-f7af288dad85b&acc_id=2607&medium=email
Fucking pathetic!!

CCruiser

Super Anarchist
Sorry we do not have more awesome coverage to all the freeloaders out there. I feel terrible!
Post this on your mirror, then when, if ever, you find yourself wondering why folks on this site hold you in such low esteem, read it. Oh, on the advertising point you made - are the advertiser here because of you, or because of all these freeloaders who would like to see KWRW coverage?

What has become of our sport?
No one races in 25+ sustained anymore. Same reason dumbass class sails don't come w/ a reef in them. Why bother. I personally hate it, and like to race in breezy conditions. Why go to key west otherwise?
In the USA we take the kids off the water at 20 knots; in most other countries the start classes at about 15 knots . . .

some dude

Super Anarchist
This. Put on your big boy pants, pull all the controls on as hard as you can, trav down, and be glad some bald jackass isn't parked in a loaner RIB in the middle of the start yelling "international press"

some dude

Super Anarchist
Post this on your mirror, then when, if ever, you find yourself wondering why folks on this site hold you in such low esteem, read it. Oh, on the advertising point you made - are the advertiser here because of you, or because of all these freeloaders who would like to see KWRW coverage?
This

See, without our eyeballs there'd be nothing to sell, and no way to pay for diapers and big pickup trucks with SA logos plastered on the side

FlyingScot310

Anarchist
WLIS

Is you mailbox full?
I guess you would know.
That's where Edith buys his girdles.

Latest posts